Best Western The Plaza Hotel
Ranked #55 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We were staying at a condo at Turtle Bay Estate and wanted to make arrangements to leave the keys in the condo at check out as we had an early flight out of Honolulu.. the management insisted we drive to the next town to return the keys in the morning...that would have been in the dark... we decided to leave a day early and find a hotel close to the airport.. we always travel Best Western in Canada and find their service and amenities to be top notch... we knew in advance that the Best Western Plaza was located under and by freeways so expected it to be noisy and not in the best location for strolling the city! Our room was very comfortable and clean ...located on the quiet side of the hotel... it appeared that it had be recently renovated and updated..We arrived earlier than check in and the hotel stored our bags til we arrived.. and delivered them to our room when we checked in... the front desk enquired if we were happy with our room and would like to move.. but we declined as we were very comfortable. the shuttle service is frequent and on time... Looking for a very convienient place to stay coming or leaving from early flights .. the price is right .. sensitive hearing bring ear plugs! ..Wandering Juanita

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
RudyFao, Manager at Best Western The Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2011

Mahalo for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We appreciate your positive comments on our amenities and our team members. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our complimentary shuttle service. We always try our best to accommodate all our guest's requests to ensure a pleasant stay.
Mahalo Nui Loa (Thank you very much) for staying with us and we hope to see you back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,455)

Reviewed January 25, 2011

We stayed here for a week. The primary reason we chose this hotel is because it was pet friendly and we were moving to the island and had our dogs with us. Possibly my view is a bit more relaxed because it is so hard to find a pet friendly hotel in Oahu. The room was renovated, but had an old a/c window unit that was loud and was situated over the desk area where the intermittant internet cable was located. There is not much of a variety of cable channels on the tv. Now keep in mind that I was not on vacation and was spending more time in the room that the vacation travel would have. The tub drained really slow too. Housekeeping was friendly. The front desk seemed a bit overwhelmed at times. Parking was available but kind of tight spaces. Its an airport hotel so that tells you what you need to know about the location. It is industrial and does not have that vacation feel about it. That being said, I pretty much sucked it up and dealt with it because I could have my whole family there with me and that included the dogs. However, when our housing fell through and we realized we would be staying in a hotel longer than expected my DH decided he couldn't take it here any longer. Fortunately, we found a pet friendly hotel that we loved that was closer to Waikiki. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for the vacation of a lifetime at all. If you are on a budget then fine or needing a place close to the airport for a night or two then fine. If the hotel and its ammenities are important on your trip then look elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
RudyFao, Manager at Best Western The Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2011

Mahalo for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We sincerely apologize for the a/c noise, we will share and correct your concerns with our maintenance team.
We are fortunate to have a lot of long term guests staying with us and we always do our best to accommodate their needs and make them feel home. We are a proud pet-friendly hotel and we have a designated outdoor area dedicated to your canine friends.
Mahalo Nui Loa (Thank you very much) for staying with us and welcome to our Aloha state.

Reviewed January 24, 2011

There were hairs on the bathroom floor and bath tub from the previous guest.
Absolutely disgusting. DO NOT leave anything behind in your room when you check out because you will never get it back again. I called today to ask if my watch was returned to the front desk and OF COURSE they told me they didn't find anything.

The front desk employees were extremely unhelpful.

The only good thing about this hotel is the location. It is located near the airport.
I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Mahalo for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We sincerely apologize for our houskeeping short comings, we will address your valuable feedbacks with our team. We strive to provide a fresh clean room to all of our guests and the condition of your room is not what we are known for.
Please contact me personally at rodolfo.fao@outrigger.com and I will be more than happy to double check your lost item for you.
Mahalo Nui Loa (Thank you very much) for staying with us and we kindly ask for another opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed January 20, 2011

The hotel's best advantage is, that it is close to the airport. Unfortunately, that means a business district, ugly views and insane distance to walk anywhere, but the airport. That would not bug me as much, as the two "episodes" I had with receptionists. First was on our first trip in December, when someone screwed with our departure date and all of our card-keys stopped working. Instead of admitting a human error, I was lectured about having my key near to cellphone, or other strong radio/magnetic field. Well, there was none, not for all the cards, especially when we left (forgot) one card in our car. Because I am an IT guy and I KNOW how these things work, because I service them for our company's clients, I was pissed, but swallowed it. It insulted me to be lied to in the face, but I told myself to cool down and enjoy the vacation.
Second thing was, when my in-room internet stopped working. Being an IT guy, I have tried everything possible, except the last thing - trying different cable. I went down to reception, asking them if they have a spare. Instead of being told "no" first, I was told by the receptionist in a strict tone, that I have to return with the cable to my room. On the second try, the receptionist told me, that they don't have any spare. So I asked, if it would be possible to go to another free room and borrow a cable from there, just for a test sake. She told me, that she has to check with the security... "WTF, why security?" I asked myself, but maybe in this country you need a security guard to fetch you a TP cable, whatever. Woulnd't matter to me as long as I would got the cable. But the receptionist answer was after a while, that the security will not touch any internet cable in other vacant rooms, due to liability issues.
LIABILITY ISSUES? It is a stupid piece of twist pair cable, with no identifiable markings on it, it is simple to remove and put in, unless you are a retarded monkey, because common monkey could do it. So I am pissed, writing from a slow lobby connection, unable to send my photos home, unable to solve my e-mails, stranded and sleepless with the receptionist.
The internet here is slow, sometimes crawling, my cellphone is faster, hell, my smart watch are faster that that! :/ But I can live with it, as long as my photos get sent home overnight... Which is not going to happen now, because I am not spending my night in the lobby, being aggressive and silent threat, pondering about human lazyness, inteligence or lack thereof, and ability to not make any unnecessary actions on behalf of the hotel's clients...
The bottom line is - LIMIT YOUR STAY AT THE HOTEL TO THE MINIMUM TIME POSSIBLE, it is not bad hotel all and all, but the service is terrible. Period. Not going forward to help you solve any of your problems, not a tiny bit. I miss European accomodation... :)

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 16, 2011

The Good:

1. Rooms were clean
2. Beds were comfortable
3. Staff was smiling and helpful

The Bad:

Problem 1:
Welcome to Hawaii, unless you smoke.
If you smoke you are discriminated against at every turn.
Smokers are forced take an elevator to sit or stand in unprotected areas to have a cigarette, regardless of wind, rain, or mosquitoes.
There is one area (P5) that is in the parking structure protected from rain, but is subject to fumes from cars exhaust, gasoline and oil, hardly an equitable situation.
During my stay I incurred 11 mosquito bites, and you can rest assured that if I come down with any disease from those mosquito bites I will be suing Best Western Plaza Hotel and the State of Hawaii for medical bills, discrimination, and distress (disease incurred from mosquito bites, anger at being subjected to mosquitoes in the first place, irritation at being treated like a leper, and the three weeks of itching since then).
While non smokers do have the right to not be subjected to cigarette smoke, smokers also have the right not to be subjected to the elements and disease carrying insects.
To treat half of your guests like this simply because they smoke is ridiculous and unfair, and leaves you open to lawsuits if a guest becomes diseased due to being forced to go into mosquito infested open air areas just to have a cigarette.

Solutions to Problem 1:
A. Best Solution - Provide a smoking lounge on each floor with adequate ventilation fans that remove smoke from the air, comfortable couches and chairs, small tables and ashtrays, wastebaskets and a TV.
This will allow guests a very comfortable place on each floor to smoke away from non smokers, yet still be protected from the elements and disease carrying insects, just like your non smoking guests enjoy.
It would also eliminate the necessity for guests to take an elevator each time they want a cigarette, resulting in all guests being happy, instead of just the half that don’t smoke being happy while the guests who do smoke being irritated and unhappy.
Oh, and it would also negate the possibility of lawsuits resulting from disease incurred while being forced to stand in a cloud of mosquitoes to smoke.
B. Adequate Solution - Provide covered screen enclosed balconies on each floor with chairs or benches, cigarette disposal units or ashtrays, and wastebaskets.
This will allow guests a semi comfortable place to smoke away from non smokers, while protecting them from rain and disease carrying insects.
There would still be wind, which would act as ventilation for the smoking balconies, but smoking guests would not have to take an elevator, or be rained on, or be bitten by mosquitoes.
This solution also negates the possibility of lawsuit due to disease contracted from being forced to feed mosquitoes while having a smoke.

Problem 2:
Rooms in the front part of the hotel are subject to loud noise from the freeway.
Cars, motorcycles and trucks go by all night, making it impossible to sleep.
After the first night I had to check out several rooms before I found one quiet enough to allow me to sleep all night.

Solution to Problem 2:
Invest in double paned windows and foam wall insulation in all noisy rooms.

Problem 3:
Newsprint cleverly disguised as toilet paper had me bleeding so badly that I had to resort to using washcloths, which I am certain disgusted the maids as much as it disgusted me.

Solution to Problem 3:
At $130.00 per night you can certainly afford to provide toilet paper that is softer than 220 grit sandpaper.

Problem 4:
Water temperature in the shower constantly fluctuated every 10 seconds between burning hot and freezing cold.
There was no comfortable or consistent water temperature in the shower at all.

Solution to Problem 4:
Call a plumber.

Problem 5:
TV in room on 6th floor has no sound on half of the channels.

Solution to Problem 5:
Call a TV repair man.

Problem 6:
Hallway on 11th floor smells like wet dog.
Made me gag every time I walked in.

Solution to Problem 6:
Shampoo carpet until smell is gone.

Problem 7:
Beds are made like burritos.
Sheets and blankets are tucked in all around making it necessary for the guest to unmake the bed and then tuck the bottom sheet back in before being able to go to bed.
People like me with medical conditions have difficulty with this chore, and to have to do it every day is irritating and simply exhausting for us.
I ended up having to write a note for the maid to please not make the bed.

Solution to Problem 7:
Tuck only the bottom sheet under the mattress, allow top sheet and blanket to simply drape over the end and sides of the bed.

The Bottom Line:
I will be staying at the Marriot from now on.

Final Note:
I hope that bringing these problems to your attention and offering solutions to these problems will prompt you to improve these situations so your future guests will have a much more pleasant stay at your hotel and actually wish to return.

Mahalo

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
RudyFao, Manager at Best Western The Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2011

Mahalo for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations, we will definitely look into some of the concerns you mentioned and address them accordingly.
As you have mentioned, the state of Hawaii does have strict smoking regulations however, we do have several designated smoking areas around the hotel for your smoking pleasure.
We are also a proud pet friendly hotel and we have a designated recreational area for your canine friends as well.
Mahalo nui loa (Thank you very much) for staying with us and we look forward to your return to our friendly island.

Reviewed January 10, 2011

All in all the location was good and the hotel reasonable if you have an early flight to catch. I read the reviews before selecting this hotel and was surprised that the issue with the airconditioning was not raised more often. You are unable to change the setting or turn off the in room air conditioning. The noise and force coming from the vent would put a 747 to shame. The alarm clock was inoperable and when reception was notified they suggested setting the alarm on a cell phone. A depressing end to a wonderful Hawaii experience. Go to Waikiki instead and get up 30 mins earlier.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
RudyFao, Manager at Best Western The Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2011

Mahalo for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the discrepancies in your room, we will definitely correct the discrepancies you mentioned.

We are located 5 minutes away from the Honolulu airport and our complimentary shuttle service will save you time, money and hassle from having to rent/return a car for an additional day.

Mahalo nui loa (Thank you very much) for staying with us and we look forward to your return to our exciting island.

Reviewed January 9, 2011

Perfect if you just want to sleep before an early flight. If you have time and if money is not an issue, sleeping in Waikiki should be considered.
This hotel is trapped between highway ramps. The highway noise in the pool court is ridiculous.
Very limited restaurant options. We ended up eating at the corner pizza place. Pizza was very good.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family