“Horrible Hotel”

Best Western The Plaza Hotel
Ranked #55 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed July 1, 2007

We stayed here overnight before our flight back home the next day. What drew our attention to the hotel was the location- so close to the airport. We, however, had to ring for a shuttle bus from the airport to take us there instead of walking. It is located on the highway, with very little restaurants, convenient stores- even fast food- close to it. I felt unsafe in this location.
The room was smelly, and needed a refurbishment. Wallpaper coming off walls, mould in the fridge, and cardboard beds. The TV selection was exemplary though. The bathroom was to be expected of a hotel of this caliber. The hallways are dark and dingy, and the lobby too small. The free internet connection was enjoyable though.
I do not recommend eating at the restaurant. The Seafood Buffet made us feel ill with badly prepared, very basic food. For $25 each, we were allowed the pleasure of sick stomachs during the night.
Stay here with the sole purpose of sleeping for a quick night before a flight. Nothing else.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank chotuman
There are newer reviews for Best Western The Plaza Hotel

Reviewed June 30, 2007

Our flight through US Airways was cancelled due to engine problems, so they "graciously" put us up in this hotel, due to it's location right next to the airport. It was four in the morning when we got there, and even though we were incredibly exhausted, my husband and I could not sleep. The room we stayed in was directly next to a highway where three roads converged and the traffic was so loud that it was impossible to sleep.
Now I will admit that I am a light sleeper, but my home is located next to a highway and in the flight path of the Columbus Airport, so I hear planes fly overhead day and night. That was nothing compared to the noise of the traffic. I could not hear the television turned up on the highest volume.
As for the cleanliness of the room, stay here if you want to see cockroaches in the shower. We found a few in the bathroom, along with mites all over the room.
The next night when our flight was cancelled yet again (gotta love US Airways), we demanded to be put up in a nicer hotel. We got to stay at the Marriott down on Waikiki, which I would recommend in a heartbeat.
Consider this a warning: due not stay at The Best Western Plaza hotel. Oh, and another warning. Watch out for US Airways. We arrived home three days late.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank giraffelover27
Reviewed May 3, 2007

I recently traveled to Honolulu on a last minute business trip and needed to book a decently priced hotel quickly. I decided on the Best Western since I'm familiar with the chain and it was so close to the airport. Big mistake. My first issue was the location. It is located in a questionable area. Being a young woman traveling alone, safety is a major concern of mine. I felt like I was going to get robbed at any moment just walking from the curb to the front door.

My second issue was with the room itself. Once I got there, I couldn't believe that I had paid $125. It wasn't worth half that. I stopped counting at the third hair I found in the bathroom. There were popcorn kernels on the nightstand. The lamp by the nightstand was burnt out. There were strange burn marks all over the carpet. The mini-fridge, although a nice ammenity in concept, was so grimy and moldy on the inside that I definitely wouldn't have used it. Weary from the trip from Columbus, Ohio, I stayed there that night against my better judgement. I promptly checked out the next morning. I spent the remainder of my trip at a hotel on Waikiki Beach for just $7 more per night. Very safe, clean and in a great location. Highly worth it.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank jmantone
Reviewed May 2, 2007

We booked this hotel and then read the reviews, I was very worried but too late to do anything. My fears were unfounded.

As we were arriving at 5pm and leaving the next day at 10am it was great to be so close to the airport. The shuttle was quick to pick us up and all the staff friendly.

The noise from the freeway was noticable but not overbearing, was fairly quiet during sleeping time. The decor was a bit dated and the wallpaper peeling in places but the room was clean and all the fixtures were well maintained. The bathroom may have been renovated since other reviews as ours was very clean, no mould or dodgy fixtures.

We had a complimentary hot breakfast and that was ok. Not a big choice but nicely cooked and enough to satisfy you. The diner next door (Byron's) is fantastic value and there were some other shops (Jamba Juice, coffee shop, chinese and small grocery store) another block away.

Whilst it wasn't ultra modern and does need updating it was clean and comfortable. I would happily stay their again as an overnight stopover. It definitely wasn't a suitable location as a holiday place.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank aussiedisneyfan
Reviewed April 16, 2007

The room was very shabby. There were bangs and black marks all over the walls, the beds were hard, the mirror in the bathroom had the silver coming off of it, the soap dish in the shower was hanging off the wall and just dangling there unable to even hold a bar of soap. The halls smelled too. So overpriced for what we got. This room was $144. with tax and I would not have wanted to pay over $50 for it. Spend the extra for a hotel shuttle and go elsewhere. It was not worth being closer to the airport. We both slept terribly too. Yuk!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jojoagogo
Reviewed March 23, 2007

When our airline oversold our flight to Maui they decided to send us to overnight in Honolulu and then fly us to Maui the following morning. The hotel they chose for us was this Best Western. Being familiar with the chain this seemed to be a reasonable choice and we were after all just spending the night and then moving on the following day.
The location of the building is nearly UNDER the freeway overpass and very close to the airport so you are bombarded by noise from both places. In our first room the airconditioner was not working and there were fresh blood stains on the bedspread. Now I'm not at all a fussy traveller but I draw the line at freshly spilled blood on the bed linens. I called the front desk and asked if we could be moved to another room and was offered a "courtyard suite". This room was on the ground level and somewhat less noisy. My friend opened the door of the room to let in some air. When I stuck my head outside I noticed a couple of very unsavoury characters hanging out in the back alley which bordered the hotel. I then locked and bolted the door and went to sleep thinking we had a 50/50 chance of being robbed before morning.
Free shuttle to airport was good and on time, and the full breakfast very good. There has to be more than one hotel close to the airport and I would recommend that you stay somewhere else.

3  Thank Cafe_au_lait
Reviewed March 14, 2007

I selected this hotel based on reading some of the reviews and because it is close to the airport.
The wait after getting off the shuttle was a good 25 minutes, people were upset, room reservations had been lost and it wasn't pretty. The first room we were given had, I AM NOT KIDDING, what appeared to be a big booger on the wall next to the light switch and there was a handyman in the bathroom trying to "clear the toilet", then on the table I noticed what "appeared" to be a pubic hair.
My husband went back down to the lobby to get a clean room with a working toilet. While standing in the hallway admiring the stains on the carpet, torn wallpaper we recieved a room on the front of the hotel, near the busy road. Needless to say, if cleanliness is not an issue to you and your main concern is being near the airport...by all means...be their guest. Just have VERY low expectations.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank amylr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honolulu
Airport Honolulu Hotel
The Equus Hotel
#31 of 84 in Honolulu
Coconut Waikiki Hotel
#11 of 84 in Honolulu

Been to Best Western The Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!