“They could offer ear plugs for that price”

Best Western The Plaza Hotel
Ranked #52 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Sydney, Australia
“They could offer ear plugs for that price”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our way from San Francisco to Kauai. After a 5 hour flight and arriving at just before midnight the lady at reception decided to make us wait for a while before she finally decided to help us. (We only had about 6 hours to sleep before we had to get back to the airport).

We were also travelling really heavy and had a lot of luggage. The same lady decided to give us a room on the 2nd floor (the side that has NO LIFT!). After pointing out that we could not possibly carry all our luggage up two flights of stairs - she had to go and check with the manager if it was possible to move us to a room near a lift. This took some more time.

We finally got a room with lift access. The room was right next to the freeway and even though I knew it would be close to the freeway, I don't think I was quite expecting it to be right on top of the freeway. The noise was overwhelming. We were lucky we had some earplugs with us, else I don't think I would have slept.

The room was clean but the bathroom was very squashed - getting out of the shower meant jumping over the toilet.

I think it is overpriced for what it offers. At least offer some free earplugs if you expect people to sleep next to that noise. I would NOT stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
RudyFao, Manager at Best Western The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to review your experience with us. We regret to hear that we fell short on your expectations. Unfortunately, the freeway was built after the hotel but we do provide ear plugs located in the bathroom for sensitive guests.

We apologize on the delayed check-in process upon your arrival, we will address it with our front desk team. Our hotel is quite affordable compared to hotels in Waikiki, we provide complimentary airport shuttle service which saves you time and money from having to rent a car or catch a taxi to Waikiki which is 8 miles away. We also provide complimentary Wi-Fi throuhout the hotel for your convenience.

We hope your experience in Kauai was memorable and we look forward to your return to our Hawaiian Islands.

Warmest Aloha,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Waikoloa, Hawaii
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel reminds me why I don't like to stay near an airport. It was certainly acceptable and I can not deny it was very convenient. There is free wifi, a nice little store in the lobby, and the staff was nice. The shuttle service was perfect. The room was large and clean and I could see the end of the runway. I wish they could spend a little money upgrading the place just a bit.

In the past year, I have stayed near 4 airports for one night: Orlando, LAX, Auckland, and now HNL. I would rate this hotel the lowest of the 4. And it was the most expensive at $155/night including tax. The stay near LAX was comparable but cost $100 with breakfast.

So remember, you are looking for convenience. If you remember that, this hotel will do.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The front desk had something to be desired. Other than that, the place was very nice. Shuttle bus driver was very pleasant, rooms were very clean and comfortable, and the view was lovely. They have a computer in the lobby to print out your boarding pass and a nice little sundries shop for anything you may need. I would recommend this place to everyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JenniferB71
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We missed our flight to Maui and needed a quick nights stay somewhere, I wish I had pulled up trip advisor and checked it out. There is an outrigger hotel advertised at the airport for $20 more that probably would have been worth it. Ended up paying $170 for a night here, which is very overpriced for what we got, even at last minute. It's next to and practically under the highway!! Noise was pretty constant and creeping in through the old windows. Beds were way to small, I was to tired to think of asking for a king or queen after flying for 14 hours here, ended up with twins. Hotel showing it's age in some ways, but has had some updating. Shower worked , kind of, some water diverted to tub and shower head needed replacing. Restaurant was average, and expensive ($40 for a simple breakfast) like everything in Honolulu. Area around hotel seemed sketchy at night. 24 Hr free airport shuttle was nice. Maid was friendly and thanked us for our stay and said goodbye (more than I get from much more expensive hotels, she was showing the Aloha spirit!). They did not answer the phone when I called from the airport which was frustrating, I let it ring 20+ times, then called back later. Worst problem was NO temperature control, control was set at 80 but never got close, cold air was blowing in morning, we were cold at night as blankets were skimpy too. Sooo tired from flying in, this should not be in the best western brand IMHO, was disappointed. Front desk to busy to comment to on way out.

Room Tip: Request a room AWAY from the highway!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alohacouple777
RudyFao, Manager at Best Western The Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Aloha and Mahalo for your review. We are disappointed that we fell short on your expectations. We will address your concerns with our maintenance team so they will be corrected immediately, thank you for bringing them to our attention.
Our rooms come with either 1 king size bed or 2 full size beds. Although we do not guarantee bedding types we try our best to accommodate most requests.
We are glad you took advantage of our complimentary airport shuttle service and hopefully our complimentary wifi as well.

We hope your visit to Honolulu was memorable and we look forward to your return to our islands.

Mahalo Nui Loa,
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The hotel itself is clean and well kept - has large rooms and is on-par with other Best Westerns...what knocks this place out of the park is the staff. My Room attendant was Annie - she was so helpful and went out of her way to make me feel at home. Without being prompted, she offered me an extra blanket and made sure that I had everything I needed to ensure a comfortable stay - AWESOME. The front desk was very kind and accommodating as well. If you are traveling for work and aren't concerned with not being on the beach/downtown and just want a place near the airport or the military bases near by, I highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We needed an overnite accommodation for our travel to Sydney. The Plaza served the purpose very well. Excellent shuttle service to and from the airport, very clean room, more than adequate space, and surprisingly quiet, even though the motel is close to the highway. Rates a 5 for this category of accommodation. Will definitely stay here in future should the need arise.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We booked Best Western The Plaza Hotel for a one night layover, coming from the Big Island to catch our flight to the mainland the next day. The shuttle driver was courteous and friendly. Shuttles run from hotel to airport every 15-20 minutes. We booked two rooms: one King for my husband and me and a Double room for our college aged kids. Our second story King Pool
View room could only be accessed by stairs, which was OK. This part of the hotel looked like a motel, with the doors facing outward toward a street. I was a bit skeptical of our room then opened the door and total surprise. Everything updated and very clean and new looking. Our large window of the room did over look the pool. It had a comfortable bed, nice furniture.
The kids Double room was located in the tower and was accessible by elevator. I would highly recommend the tower if you have trouble walking upstairs. The tower has both Doubles and Kings. The Double room was clean, comfortable, and had a great view out the window (11th floor). The next morning, packed up and caught the shuttle and headed to airport (very early I might add!) The shuttle runs 24/7 to and from the airport, Very Convenient!!!! Would I stay here again? Yes as a layover hotel.

Room Tip: Book rooms in the Tower to avoid stairs on the second floor rooms (Pool View).
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honolulu
Airport Honolulu Hotel
Waikiki
Ambassador Hotel Waikiki
Ambassador Hotel Waikiki
#74 of 84 in Honolulu

Been to Best Western The Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!