“What a Rip Off!”

Best Western The Plaza Hotel
Ranked #55 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed January 9, 2013

First of all...Doesn't there appear to be some level of Plush and Clean with the title "Plaza"? First off, the desk attendant gave us the wrong place to go upon arrival at the airport, so we missed the shuttle. The other one arrived 30 minutes later and she acted like we made the mistake. We were given the "last room", so no Delta Employee or AAA discount...so she gives us a room, then upon giving us directions to that room changes it to another room.
Here is another thing...This is not a "Hotel", but in every aspect a MOTEL. The ground level rooms are 2 feet from the parked cars bumpers and the 2nd level rooms are over the highway. Yes, you here every tire and every car as they drive pass.
The room door opened to a wall of animal urine. I sell homes for a living and I know cat pee. This room had to have been the room of every ferel cat on Oahu. I called the front desk from the room. with the door open, breathing through my mouth, so as to not make my lungs collapse. Guess what? We now can move to another available room...this one has been layered with carpet powder deodorizer, so the chemical perfume overpowers the animal smell and uncleanliness of the room.
For $169.00 this is a Total and Complete Rip Off!
I've paid less on the other islands and had The Continental or Hyatt Regency effect compared to this . Fares should be $86 and should all come with warnings for those who don't live with animal peeing in their homes.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank annett j
RudyFao, Manager at Best Western The Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to write a review with Trip Advisor. Please contact us (phone or email us back) to make this right – we apologize for not meeting your expectation and providing you a unsatisfactory room. We pride our selves in providing clean, comfortable accommodations with personal Aloha service. Our location to the International Airport (complimentary 24 hour shuttle service is provided) makes us a convenient and affordable place to stay before and after a flight avoiding Waikiki expensive hotels and transportation costs. We hope to be in touch with you so we may rectify your unfortunate stay. Mahalo Nui Loa – Thank you very much.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,476)

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here a bit over a month. We are military so it was nice to have had a great staff during our LONG stay. Friendly staff. Front Desk Charae and Mena ,the shuttle driver Frank, the house keeper Tessie and all the restaurant staff was always ready to make you feel at home.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
RudyFao, Manager at Best Western The Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to write a review with Trip Advisor, your comments are greatly appreciated. Charae, Mena and Frank are tenured employees and are great ambassadors for the hotel. Their sense of service and sense of place are consistent – always knowing the right thing to say, at the right place, the right time – all the time. Thank you for acknowledging them and the hotel for their great guest service. Mahalo Nui Loa – thank you very much.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We had a OK room for 1 Night, and even though the hotel is very glose to the airport, we heard no noise from airplanes.
The walters at the breakfast restaurant were slow and some were very bad at English.
When checkning out we were presented for a parking fee at USD 25, Weichel no One had told us abolut at our arrival; the lady in the reception were completely indifferent abolut this and just turned her back at us as we made a novice of this

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to write a review with Trip Advisor, your comments are greatly appreciated. We sincerely apologize for the lack of information provided regarding parking charges. In the future please take advantage of our complimentary 24 hour shuttle service to and from the International Airport. We also have a relationship with Enterprise Rent a Car where they can deliver the car to the hotel for your use as well as information on public transportation that you catch just outside of the hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will return in he near future. Mahalo Nui Loa – Thank you very much.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We needed a convenient overnight stay on our route from Los Angeles to Sydney. The free shuttle was a breeze and the hotel was literally just a couple minutes away. We arrived around 9:30pm and the hotel restaurant would be closing so our shuttle driver offered to take us to an adjacent hotel with restaurant service and offered to pick us back up -- how gracious of him! We declined, as we'd eaten on the plane. Our room was clean and comfortable. We needed to be back at the airport around 6:15AM and there is a free shuttle every 30 minutes -- everything went smooth as silk. If spending several days in Hawaii on vacation we would choose a fancier hotel, however for the airport access this was great.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to write a review with Trip Advisor, your comments are greatly appreciated. Wow we are always greatful for positive comments such as this one. We have shared this with our team members - thank you for your comments. A Hui Ho - until we meet again. Mahalo Nui Loa – Thank you very much.

Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night, was expecting not much but, the beds were comfy, the room was quiet modern, the staff were friendly, the shuttle too and from airport is free. Overall all gamble payed off very impressed. Would recommend for a couple nights.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We chose this hotel because it was close to the airport and Pearl Harbor. We saw (what we hope) were ants in the bathroom and on the desk. Anytime I see any type of bugs in hotels I can't help but wonder what bugs we aren't seeing! There is a city bus pick up/drop off right outside the hotel and we took it to Waikiki Beach one afternoon. It was $2.50 per person but I would NOT recommend doing this to Waikiki Beach. It took almost an hour because we stopped every 100 feet. We walked around Waikiki until after sunset then took a taxi back to the hotel. However, taking it to Pearl Harbor was very easy and economical. It was just a few stops away and only $10 for us to travel there and back.

Room Tip: If you can help it, get a room on the side away from the interstate/airport
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to write a review with Trip Advisor, your comments are greatly appreciated. We sincerely apologize for having ants in the room you stayed in. Being on the island our Housekeeping department monitors the rooms and periodically schedule pest control prevention so problems like what you experienced are avoided. We follow up with those preventions to make sure it does not happen to other guests. Thank you for staying with us and hope you will return to Honolulu and choose us as your stop over during your late or early flights in the future. Mahalo Nui Loa – thank you very much.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

OK. Granted. I didn't want to be here. I'd just come from a 4.5 star hotel. I was stuck in the airport and on a plane for 12+ hours. I just wanted to be home in my own bed. Flight delays left me stranded on Oahu, and I was put up at the Best Western Plaza. It's better than sleeping at the airport...I'll give it that. Situated under/next to Nimitz Highway, this is a NOISY location. It's close to the airport and I guess that's one of its big selling points. The staff were nice and seeing as I was stranded without a bag, they kindly gave me a toothbrush and toothpaste. It was 9 pm when I arrived...starving. I was informed their restaurant hadn't been open all day, and I could walk to the drive-in around the corner or ride the shuttle van to their 'sister' property. After dropping my carry-on in my room, I went back to the lobby only to be informed the restaurant at their sister property was not open. Since this is a review of the hotel, I won't go into details about the restaurant around the corner except to say it was a little creepy walking there alone. My room was, thankfully, on the backside of the hotel...further away from the highway. Although all signs indicated it was a non-smoking room, the room reeked of stale cigarette smoke. The carpet was stained. The sink had a dripping faucet and a piece that kept falling off every time I attempted to use it. I immediately turned off the a/c (too noisy and cold). Seeing as my room was on the second floor, I briefly considered sleeping with the sliding door open. Two things made me reconsider: First, the door to my room looked as though it might have been kicked in at some point in its life and the security bolt on the sliding door made me feel as though I wasn't in the safest of areas. Second, smokers tended to congregate in the area outside my sliding door and it was pretty clear the smoke would just blow right into my room. That said, I slept closed up in my room. I was thankful for the coffee maker. The microwave, although I didn't use it, was a nice addition to the room. The bed seemed clean and that was the most important thing; however, the room felt shabby. If I could give half stars, I would have rated this place 2.5.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the highway are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Nancy Z

Mahalo for taking the time to write a review with Trip Advisor, your comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you for staying with us and informing us of the shortcomings to your room, we will surely follow up with our housekeeping and maintenance departments to check every room to make sure that this is not a consistent problem with our rooms. There are designated smoking areas around the property but many smokers do not abide by the rules and decide to smoke where they want. We constantly monitor our smoking guests by having our 24 hour security personnel remind them of the strict smoking rues of Hawaii. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experience by the smoke smell. Again, thank you for your business and hope you will return to our property when you are visiting Honolulu. Our Complimentary 24 hour shuttle service to and from the airport makes us a convenient place to rest and be ready for your next flight. Mahalo Nui Loa.