“Best sushi in town! ”

Riverside, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best sushi in town! ”
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

I can say this place rates top 3 on my list. We ate at 4 sushi places and this place killed the rest! Top TOP quality sushi! Sushi chefs are really entertaining and not drones. Get the moi and tuna as well as seabass, best choice by far! Even the toro was really great! Spent about 100 bucks but it was so good we came back here 2 times during our Hawaii visit. Highly highly recommend!!

• Korean first
California
“Still one of the best in Waikiki”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

After all these years, this restaurant continues to be one of the best and amongst our favorites when visiting the island.

All the sushi has been consistently excellent throughout the years and again on this visit.

If you never have been here, this is the one sushi restaurant we highly recommend if you must try one during your visit.

Advance recommendations highly suggested as this place is always full everyday of the week.

• Visited February 2014
SF
“Truly Amazing”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Absolutely delightful.

We did not have recommendations so we waited an hour. Well worth the wait.

The service is impeccable, sweet, and respectful. I came here on my birthday and was treated with such care. We sat at the bar and had omakase.

A wonderful meal that allows the chef to bring our various dishes of his choosing. However, we also ordered other dishes as well. We had:

1. Oysters - fresh, tasty and delicious.
2. Chilled, Roasted Duck - best duck I've ever had.
3. Omatsui Natto - A bowl of natto, ikura, maguro, uni, green onion and tobiko, which you mix up and eat with nori paper. Very good but very light on the flavor, especially given all the different components. A little soy sauce might be needed.
4. Negihama Tartare - DEFINITELY a must-try.
5. Lamb Chops - sauce was to-die-for!
6. Fresh Tofu, Shoyu Jelly and Uni - so refreshing and light.
7-12. Various Nigiri (Uni, Saba, Magura, Amaebi - NO HEADS:(, Seared Toro, Ikura) - my absolute favorite was the ikura and I usually am not a big fan of it. But they soak the ikura in some sake and it totally takes away that salty, ocean water taste.

*We were still hungry so we ended up ordering more dishes off their menu*
13. Papio Carpaccio - pretty good
14. Seared Beef Tongue - VERY good! Not chewy at all.
15. Uni wrapped with Hirame - good but probably my least favorite dish. I love uni and I didn't need all the fluff. http://www.yelp.com/biz_…
16. Birthday Dessert

Very fresh and delicious! Highly recommended.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Tina408
Ottawa, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Wow! Best sushi experience. Do make sure you call ahead and make a reservation. Otherwise be prepared to wait an hour or so. The sashimi is fresh, providing a very simple yet refreshing flavor.

1 Thank lawdave
San Francisco, California
“Da best Japanese meals”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have tried Nobu, the Iron chef restaurant and Gaku is so much better than these two with better value in price. I have been to Japan many times and this restaurant is what you will find in Tokyo. Many Japanese restaurants in the U.S., americanize the menu and the food, not Gaku. You must try the $48 omakase sushi dish, it is so worth it. Toro is included in this dish. If you order the seafood separately it would be much more than $48 price. Great oysters, order the dish twice. Tried the cook and fry dishes, wonderful. The seafood were so fresh and you can taste the differences. I even try Sushi Sasabune down the block the next day and I can say Gaku is the Best Japanese Restaurant in the whole U.S.. New York, LA, Vancouver and SF sorry you did not make the grade, not even close. You must get reservation. This restaurant is one of very few that I would eat there again the next day. That is how good they are.

• Visited November 2013