“Talk about real sushi! YUM!”
Review of Sushi Izakaya Gaku

Sushi Izakaya Gaku
Ranked #381 of 2,441 Restaurants in Honolulu
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2013

If you are looking for a genuine sushi place (I lived in Japan for 10 years - I know real sushi) with fair prices and excellent quality, look no further. We (couple) spent $190 and ate so many things that I'm sure to forget some, but they included fresh Otoro (tuna belly), Ika (squid) tako (octopus), hamachi, an amazing tartar dish, and so many other dishes. The price was fair. Not cheap, but fair. Much better than other rip-off commercial places around town. When I return to Honolulu, I'll return to this place for awesome authentic sushi over any other. YUM! The sushi portions were a nice size. The rice, sushi, and wasabe was perfectly balanced. You're in for a treat if you like otoro - it's the best I've ever had, including what I've had in Japan.

2  Thank Travelmaster2012

Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I spend a month in Honlulu each year and we try to eat as much sushi as possible since the fish is so fresh in Hawaii. We have tried most of the top rated sushi restaurants and our favorite year in and year out is Sushi Izakaya Gaku. They usually feature a seasonal item that is amazing and on our past visit they offered six different versions of yellow tail and each one was incredible and unique. The menu is diverse, so your friends who avoid uncooked fish can find something wonderful to enjoy. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful and don't forget the sake. Of course, it isn't for the faint of wallet.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We decided to go here after reading too many stories about the "Sushi Nazi" at Sasabune (why would you pay that kind of $ to be treated that way?...). We weren't disappointed. We sat at the sushi bar and went for the Omakase (chef's choice). The chef was incredible and tailored the offerings to our tastes, while throwing in delicious surprises (toro, bonito, abalone, uni...). Everyone is friendly and the service is great. You'll need a second mortgage, but it's worth it.

Parking tip: They have a small parking lot (accessed through a narrow alley next to front door) with 8-10 spaces behind the restaurant that fills up quickly. Our server mentioned that there is also evening parking in the office building across the street. It's kind of a sketchy area. My advice: take a taxi.

1  Thank jcalderh
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Best sushi on the Islands, hands down. Fresh-- explicit-- seasonally informed and authentic as authentic can get offshore from Japan itself.

1  Thank Richard R
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I am a sushi snob and seek the best. Gaku was pretty good but definitely not great. Not a great value. Hard to get a rsvp, decent sushi but the appetizers seems more popular than the traditional omakse. The omakse seems more like a sushi delux than a special omakse offering. Save your $$$ and go to Imanas TEI

5  Thank Jen L