“Mixed experience...”

Roy's Waikiki Beach
Reserve with OpenTable
Roy's Waikiki Beach is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 2,622 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Hawaiian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Waikiki
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This Roy's location re-opened the night before our experience there (opened Tuesday, we were there Wednesday). With a large convention in town, the place was PACKED at our 6:30 pm reservation but we were promptly seated. Our server and serving staff worked hard to make it a nice experience. We both ordered the Classic Tasting Menu with wine ($73). The food was very good, but it all seemed quite rushed- as soon as we were finished with a course the next was presented with very little explanation or personal connection. The noise level was VERY high, and in fact our server apologized for the loudness- almost hard to talk across a table. I had marked the reservation as a birthday celebration but no mention was made of it and with the crowds and servers flying by, I didn't push for that recognition. It was a challenging night with large groups. I know a restaurant needs to be welcoming for all, but I was also hoping for a bit of a more upscale look of diners- many had t-shirts and shorts rather than the requested smart Aloha wear, saw a few men wearing baseball caps. Glad I went, but would look elsewhere next time.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,139)

Reviewed September 8, 2018

I had the butterfish and ribs, my partner had the chicken. Overall we were impressed with the service and the food and was definitely one of our highlight meals dining in Honolulu. Would recommend.

1  Thank Kris U
Reviewed September 6, 2018 via mobile

Finally, a good restaurant with amazing food & fantastic service! After being at several other local restaurants that left us disappointed, Roy’s was fantastic. The service is unmatched. They were busy tonight (~8:30pm), but they brought out all of our appetizers & dishes incredibly fast, & were right on top of getting us drink refills.
Also, the food was really really good. We had the dragon roll for an appetizer. It was excellent. We had the butterfish for our main dish & it, too, was excellent. It had a great flavor & was incredibly tender & moist. We had the pineapple upside down cake for dessert, which was also really good. Since it was our anniversary, they also brought out a special additional dessert, & decorated the plate with “Happy Anniversary,” which was very thoughtful of them. We highly recommend this restaurant. You will not be disappointed.

1  Thank Mara M
Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

Amazing food. Really liked it, all was done very well. I had the 4 course meal and my wife had the 3 course. All courses were absolutely great. I had a crush which was awesome, as was the fish we both had. He chocolate dessert was amazing!

Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

We had a delicious and generous meal here. The staff were just the right level of “attentive” and the service was prompt and efficient. Roy’s is a tight ship and well deserving of its reputation.

Been to Roy's Waikiki Beach? Share your experiences!