“Much more than a food tour”
Review of Hawaii Food Tours

Hawaii Food Tours
Ranked #1 of 22 Food & Drink in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Hawaii Food Tours™ was created by Hawaii's #1 Food Writer and Restaurant Reviewer, Chef Matthew Gray. It's for those who love food & fun. Voted Best Tours on Oahu for the past two years in a row! Two different daily tours; one takes place in & around Honolulu... the other goes to the North Shore. We will feed, educate and entertain you all day long! MSNBC Network called us one of the best food experiences in the world! These fantastic tours feature Yummy Food, Fascinating History, and Culinary Decadence! Our Famous Hole-in-the-Wall Tour™ includes a behind-the-scenes walking and tasting tour in Honolulu's amazingly colorful Chinatown! It's an entertaining, informative and FUN Honolulu City Tour with several stops, including 2 of Hawaii's most famous Bakeries & one of a kind Marketplaces. You'll be eating between 15 & 20 different foods! This tour takes place all over Honolulu, away from the touristy areas of Waikiki, where only the real locals go to eat. Our North Shore Food Tour™ gives guests a tasty glimpse of the colorful and rural "countryside" area of our island of Oahu. Many people read about the North Shore, about the beautiful huge waves, the garlic shrimp trucks, and rustic away-from-the-city areas, and that's what we give our guests, including some genuine Hawaiian food, a garlic shrimp plate, various pastries, Hawaiian Beer, and a visit to a coffee and sugar plantation.
rancho mirage
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Much more than a food tour”
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Not only are your guides authentically local and willing to share personal history along with local folklore, they will give you a professional cultural experience and show you many "Lost" sites on top of it! The food choices are interesting, surprising and culinary delights! Do you think we enjoyed it? We certainly did. Do it at the beginning of your stay if you can as they will give you all the information you need on where and what to eat for the rest of the time you're there. If you do nothing else while you're there - do this tour!

5 Thank dinibell

• Turkish first
Knoxville, TN
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“a unique day off the beaten path”
Reviewed July 31, 2009

I just returned from Hawaii and my wife and I did the Hole in the Wall Tour. We spent the day sampling eats from areas away from Waikiki. a bit of time is spent walking in chinatown, sampling foods from the little shops, fresh fruits, and browsing stores. All is done with a (soon to be) husband and wife team - one a chef and food critic - one a local. What you get is a small group tour that combines local history, food tasting, someone to tell you what you are seeing and tasting in chinatown and discussion about food. We had a great time!

I would do this early in your vacation. First ,you will want to go back to some of the places you sample (we could have eaten the manapua every morning). Also you get a restuarant list of his favorite places. if you want to find certain food you can get suggestions from the guy who has rated them all.

Good food, great company, and learned a little, what else can you ask for?

6 Thank JohnT.tn
McLean, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Highly Recommended!”
Reviewed July 30, 2009

My husband and I took the Hole in the Wall Tour our first full day in Oahu - this worked out well, because in addition to the fantastic food we had on the tour, we also got recommendations from Matthew and Keira for other places to eat. On this tour, we ate food we never would have tried on our own and it was delicious! Matthew and Keira got to know everyone on the tour personally and made it a really fun event - I couldn't recommend this tour more highly!!! Just be prepared to eat a lot of food!

3 Thank dogwood705
Midvale, Utah
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Simply Awesome!”
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Today we took the Hawaiian Food Tour’s Hole-In-The-Wall tour and we can only begin to tell you how much fun we had. Highlights are as follows:
* Transportation (they pick you up in a brand new Mercedes Van)
* Perfect Group Size (the group number is 13 people - just enough to have fun and get to know everyone)
* Excellent Itinerary (everything from noodle factories to restaurants )
* True Experts (Matthew is a Professional Chief and Columnist & Keyra is a local lady who’s funny and extremely bright.
* Popular for a Reason (these guys know everybody in Hawaii)
* Genuine (these guys have passion and love people)
* Food, Food, Food (My two favorite items today were the Kalua Pig stuffed Maunapua and the Coco Puffs from Liliha Bakery!)

3 Thank BagbyHotspringsTrail
Richmond, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Best thing we did on our 11 day vacation in Oahu!”
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I saw the hole in the wall food tour showcased on the Food Channel one night before my husband and I planned our trip to Hawaii, and once I googled the tour and read all the rave review, I knew that I HAD to do it. It looked good on TV, but it was even better in person. Little did I know at the time I booked it, but the Hawaii Food Tour turned out to be the best activity/tour of our whole 11 day vacation. (And trust me, I had every hour of every day planned with fun activities).
The small group atmosphere (there are about 10-12 guests plus the two hosts) perfectly complimented all of the places we went to eat because it really felt like you were part of a family. The hosts, Matthew and Keira are incredibly knowledable about the region, area, and of course all of the bountiful food. Both of the hosts talk to you one-on-one throughout the trip, and take a general interest in your life. Needless to say, the food is absolutely wonderful, and you get to try SO many new things that you might not try by yourself. My only advice is to pace yourself so you can try it all!.
I emailed Matthew before I left for Hawaii, and he sent me a list of restaurants that he recommended so I could plan my whole vacation around the best food in Hawaii. I planned my itinerary accordingly, and let me tell you, I think I ate the tastiest foods I have ever had in my life. (Most of the places Matthew recommended were non-touristy, inexpensive, and delicious)

After the tour, Matthew sent us home with a listing of everything we ate, the holes in the walls we visited, and even some recipes so we could try to to make some of the food we had ourselves.

I would recommend Hawaii Food Tours to ANYBODY and EVERYBODY that lives in Hawaii, is visiting Hawaii, or knows how to spell Hawaii. You won't regret it. Just tell Matthew and Keira "hi" for me!

5 Thank Millikan07