“The TASTIEST tour in Honolulu!”
Review of Hawaii Food Tours

Hawaii Food Tours
Ranked #1 of 25 Food & Drink in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Hawaii Food Tours™ was created by Hawaii's #1 Food Writer and Restaurant Reviewer, Chef Matthew Gray. It's for those who love food & fun. Voted Best Tours on Oahu for the past two years in a row! Two different daily tours; one takes place in & around Honolulu... the other goes to the North Shore. We will feed, educate and entertain you all day long! MSNBC Network called us one of the best food experiences in the world! These fantastic tours feature Yummy Food, Fascinating History, and Culinary Decadence! Our Famous Hole-in-the-Wall Tour™ includes a behind-the-scenes walking and tasting tour in Honolulu's amazingly colorful Chinatown! It's an entertaining, informative and FUN Honolulu City Tour with several stops, including 2 of Hawaii's most famous Bakeries & one of a kind Marketplaces. You'll be eating between 15 & 20 different foods! This tour takes place all over Honolulu, away from the touristy areas of Waikiki, where only the real locals go to eat. Our North Shore Food Tour™ gives guests a tasty glimpse of the colorful and rural "countryside" area of our island of Oahu. Many people read about the North Shore, about the beautiful huge waves, the garlic shrimp trucks, and rustic away-from-the-city areas, and that's what we give our guests, including some genuine Hawaiian food, a garlic shrimp plate, various pastries, Hawaiian Beer, and a visit to a coffee and sugar plantation.
Paramus, NJ
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“The TASTIEST tour in Honolulu!”
Reviewed July 8, 2009

My husband and I LOVED the Hole in the Wall Food Tour. We went on our second day in Honolulu and it was a great way to get an introduction to the area, learn about the types of foods and get a history of Hawaii, all at the same time! Matt & Keira are such sweethearts! They are not only knowledgeable about native foods; they go above and beyond to really connect with the people on their tours. They obviously love what they do, because it really shows in their tour. The food tasting was incredible; I'm back in NJ now and already craving those delicious Cocoa Puffs! If you want to meet some cool people, socialize, enjoy delicious food and get an overview of the area, this is the tour for you. Just one warning: Don't eat beforehand...there is tons of food to enjoy! We hope to see Matt & Keira again someday ~Gabriela & Greg from NJ

4 Thank Gitaly

• Turkish first
San Luis Obispo, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Good Food, Good People, and a Good Time!”
Reviewed July 5, 2009

Included in the price, our tour hosts Matthew and Keira, picked us up from our hotel in a new, comfortable, air-conditioned tour van, which also accommodated five other couples. (Interestingly, 3 of the couples were all celebrating their 10-year wedding anniversary that very day - which made for some fun conversation)

Keira has a smile that lights up the room - and she put everyone at ease immediately with her aloha spirit. Matthew and Keira are not only dedicated to enlightening you and introducing specific foods and vendors - but to weaving in interesting facts about the area as well.

And then there is the food - rich with deliciousness, and history. If you appreciate good food, being taken around by really nice folks, and would like experience a different view of Honolulu then be sure to add this to your list of must-do's while in Honolulu. You will not only enjoy it, but have a great memory to take home with you.

3 Thank marcii
Orlando
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Hole-in-the-Wall Tour Was Fantastic”
Reviewed July 1, 2009

My wife and I loved the Hole in the wall tour; we spent a week on Oahu and this was one of the highlights of our visit. Mathew and Keira were warm and gracious hosts who made us feel welcome, ensured we had a great time and were able and willing to answer any questions we had.

The tour was so much more than a sampling of local cuisine. The tour served as a great lesson in not just the history of each food and restaurant we toured but a great lesson in Hawaii and Hawaiian history and culture, we soaked up all sorts of local color during the tour. ….don’t get me wrong the food was fantastic but the tour was a lot more than just eating great food.

I would strongly recommend the hole in the wall food tour for anyone visiting Oahu.

4 Thank PFC76
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Hole In The Wall Tour - Delicious, Informative, Cultural, Fun!”
Reviewed June 30, 2009

If you want a break from beach related or physical activity related fun while in Honolulu, I highly recommend this tour. Though I was reluctant to spend a day away from hiking, boating and surfing adventures on Oahu, my foodie-crazy girlfriend talked me into going on this tour. I wasn't expecting too much, but it was every bit worth the time away from all of these other activities!

Let me just sum up the major reasons this tour is so wonderful.

1.) Matthew and Keira were absolutely wonderful hosts: They were genuinely interested in getting to know you and become your friend, which was such a refreshing feeling after all of the commercial tour guides you will run into if you do any other tours while in Hawai'i. Excited to show off the gems of their city, both food and culture related, their enthusiasm was contagious and really translated into your own personal excitement. Also, they gave us their personal phone numbers when the tour was over, inviting us to call them at any time during the rest of our stay in Hawai'i for "24 hour food and restaurant advice."

2.) Nothing snobby about it: Much of the best food need not come from "fine dining" restaurants with wallet-gouging prices. This tour really gets you out of the touristy Waikiki area and takes you to places you would never find on your own. Whether you are extremely knowledgeable about food and cooking (as my girlfriend was) or merely just like a unique, locally influenced, fabulous meal, this tour is equally accessible and caters to people of all food backgrounds. We had one vegetarian on the tour, and though a decent portion of the food we ate was meat, Matthew and Keira always found her other delicious treats to eat at the various locations we visited.

3.) You will see and try things you never thought you would see and try: Trust me on this one. I won't give away all of the secrets of the tour, but here is a sample. Imagine being led into the heart of Honolulu's china town and into the back rooms of one of the last remaining hand-made rice noodle factories in the world. You get to watch the family who owns this factory operate their machinery and fold and create all of their noodles by hand. Apparently this is a dying art, as it is so labor intensive that the sons and daughters of factory owners refuse to go into the family business. After a thorough tour of the factory, we got to sample the absolute freshest samples of the three wonderful types of rice noodles made their. Many of the stops on the tour were as rewarding, delicious, and fascinating as this one was.

4.) Learning: You will walk away from this tour having learned more about food, Hawai'i's culture and history, and the city of Honolulu itself than you would ever have imagined, all without the musty feeling of a museum or a tour where you are just lectured at. They do a wonderful job of integrating the information about the food and how it links up to people, culture, history, etc. so that you are fascinated and intrigued throughout the tour. And if you have any questions, about anything related to food or other aspects of the island's history, you will find Matthew and Keira excited to talk with you about them and never lacking in answers.

I could go on for quite some time but I will end with recommendations:

1.) Do not eat before you go. I can really pack away a lot of food (still have a young metabolism) but NO ONE leaves this tour hungry!

2.) They give you water at the beginning of the tour. Don't drink it all right away. This filled some people up a little too much at first. Ration it so you have just a little with all of your food stops.

3.) Plan on throwing your diet out the window for a day. Though we sampled many local fruits, etc., you will also want to partake of the many delicious treats that come from the unique bakeries throughout Honolulu. Most of these are truly wonderful and more than worth it.

4.) If you have any unique issues related to food, such as being vegetarian, or having food allergies, just let Matthew and Keira know and they will be sure to mold the tour to your special needs.

6 Thank bycyberguy
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“So Good that I've been twice”
Reviewed June 28, 2009

I originally booked the tour on the back on the tripadvisor recommendations and wasn't disappointed. This was my second time on the tour as my husband wasn't able to travel with me the first time and I had enjoyed the day so much, I decided it was a must for our visit to Waikiki.

Matt and Keira have devised a unique tour that allows you to experience the fusion of the different cultures of Honolulu through the local food treasures plus the opportunity to get some useful insight into the Honolulu away from the tourism of Waikiki. You most certainly need an appetite for this tour as you get to sample an array of different foods that in some shape or form are fairly unique to Hawaii; from the Baked Manapua to the famous Coco Puff which in it's self is worth the trip to Hawaii!

What makes this tour special is Matt and Kiera and their shared passion for food and Hawaii. You don't feel that you are on some standard tourist tour but been taken around by your friends to their local haunts. It is best to take this tour at the beginning of your trip as they have many recommendations for other restaurants not only for O'ahu but the other islands and even Vegas (Hawaii's ninth island!). I am glad to see how successful the tours have become and it is a reflection of the effort they have put in. Enjoy!

3 Thank LondonJoW