“Loved it”
Review of Hawaii Food Tours

Hawaii Food Tours
Ranked #6 of 34 Food & Drink in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Hawaii Food Tours™ was created by Hawaii's #1 Food Writer and Restaurant Reviewer, Chef Matthew Gray. It's for those who love food & fun. Voted Best Tours on Oahu for the past two years in a row! Two different daily tours; one takes place in & around Honolulu... the other goes to the North Shore. We will feed, educate and entertain you all day long! MSNBC Network called us one of the best food experiences in the world! These fantastic tours feature Yummy Food, Fascinating History, and Culinary Decadence! Our Famous Hole-in-the-Wall Tour™ includes a behind-the-scenes walking and tasting tour in Honolulu's amazingly colorful Chinatown! It's an entertaining, informative and FUN Honolulu City Tour with several stops, including 2 of Hawaii's most famous Bakeries & one of a kind Marketplaces. You'll be eating between 15 & 20 different foods! This tour takes place all over Honolulu, away from the touristy areas of Waikiki, where only the real locals go to eat. Our North Shore Food Tour™ gives guests a tasty glimpse of the colorful and rural "countryside" area of our island of Oahu. Many people read about the North Shore, about the beautiful huge waves, the garlic shrimp trucks, and rustic away-from-the-city areas, and that's what we give our guests, including some genuine Hawaiian food, a garlic shrimp plate, various pastries, Hawaiian Beer, and a visit to a coffee and sugar plantation.
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Went on the north shore tour and had Robin as our driver and guide along with Kealoha. Was impressed with Robin being the ex head chef of Nobu and his real down to earth passion to make sure your experience is enjoyable.

First stop was to a bakery to try a donut like which we ate at an amazing look out- I did mention how lucky they are to live in Hawaii.
Robin is very talkative but was good to hear the knowledge and local spots he pointed out.
Next we went to a side road cafe to try some Hawaiian traditional food. I liked it however my partner did not - they are here to showcase traditional food so may not be to all taste buds. Robin explains history of the meal and Kealoha add a great personal touch with stories to the tour.

We then went to a bakery for an AMAZING cake and second meal- they catered for my allergy to seafood and sub for chicken which was delicious. My partner again did not think the shrimp was amazing - he was expecting the best of the best seafood. The cake was so nice - chocolate and coconut and a flaky pastry...yum! Along with a beer and some pineapple and mango. yum! We also purchased an additional pineapple cake to try later in which they kept in an esky.

Later we went to a bakery to pick up some custard like pastries and ate these at the coffee plantation which we had chocolate, custard pastry, chocolate and coffee- Yum! Robin was so organised I was so impressed. Also gave us free time to look around.
Also got some fresh lychees along the road which we all enjoyed! Along with some scenic views and photo opportunity.

Can't say we were super fully by the tour but I really enjoyed it and the knowledge and organisation.

Robin really enjoys his job and reflects in his passion for the tour. Dream job!

105  Thank Cat3172
Write a ReviewReviews (1,891)
All reviews
"roast pork"
"behind the scenes"
in 35 reviews

Reviewed June 4, 2014

We took the Hole in the Wall tour and had a fantastic time. Greg and Miale were awesome guides. In addition to the places and foods on the tour, the guides referred to many other great eateries in the Honolulu area (and non food places to visit). Wish we had taken the tour earlier in our stay so we had more time to visit their recommendations. Honolulu has a diverse food landscape and the tour gave a sample and exposure to the many great options.

Thanks Greg and Miale!

97  Thank Michael D
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I took this tour on my fist full day during a recent trip to Honolulu for a conference at the end of May. I recommend taking the tour at the beginning of your visit so that you can benefit from all the local wisdom that the guides share about other activities and foods on Oahu. I received a list of the types of bars and restaurants that I was interested in (and had been asking about) at the end of the tour. My follow up e-mail got lost in the ether, but when I followed up, I got an e-mail right away. I was on the tour with another couple so it was a small group. We all enjoyed the food and the cultural, historical and culinary knowledge of our guides. It was plenty of food in good portions to not overload us, but give us the chance to enjoy many different items. I had to eat at late dinner that night. I also really appreciated the ability to get to the North Shore without having to figure out the buses to get there. It was a great day and well worth the cost. I had wanted to take the Hole in the Wall tour as well, but couldn't fit it in with other things on my itinerary. A good thing to do the next time that I visit Oahu!

100  Thank June M
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We went on this tour today and had an absolute ball. Our guides, Sahara and Greg, made us feel really welcome and their knowledge of the local culinary landscape was excellent. There was lots of light hearted banter with the guests and the selections of foods was broad and, most importantly, tasty. From the Manapua all the way through to the Malasadas, the tastes were unusual and varied. They may not be to everyones taste, but that's the point of taking the tour. We had a ball and will recommend this tour to everyone.

52  Thank Deta K
See more reviews
Reviewed June 1, 2014

My sister-in-law and I decided to take the Hole-in-the-Wall tour, and we are so glad that we did. Our flight was leaving late that night, and we wanted something to do during the day before we returned to the mainland. After confirming our tour, we received and email that told us to have our morning coffee that day, but to bring an appetite with us. Am I ever glad that we did not eat breakfast! The food that we sampled on the tour was awesome, and something that we would never have experienced if we were touring the island on our own. Bill and Maile were gracious hosts with a world of knowledge about the island. We had a relaxed and very "full" day. Our hosts introduced us to many different types of food and drinks and of course wonderful deserts. They were accommodating and very fun to be with. Loved it all! I will definitely take this tour again in the future, and recommend it to all who visit the island. What a great way to spend the day.

83  Thank pmanghel