“Put this at the top of your list of "must do"!”
Review of Hawaii Food Tours

Hawaii Food Tours
Ranked #1 of 26 Food & Drink in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Hawaii Food Tours™ was created by Hawaii's #1 Food Writer and Restaurant Reviewer, Chef Matthew Gray. It's for those who love food & fun. Voted Best Tours on Oahu for the past two years in a row! Two different daily tours; one takes place in & around Honolulu... the other goes to the North Shore. We will feed, educate and entertain you all day long! MSNBC Network called us one of the best food experiences in the world! These fantastic tours feature Yummy Food, Fascinating History, and Culinary Decadence! Our Famous Hole-in-the-Wall Tour™ includes a behind-the-scenes walking and tasting tour in Honolulu's amazingly colorful Chinatown! It's an entertaining, informative and FUN Honolulu City Tour with several stops, including 2 of Hawaii's most famous Bakeries & one of a kind Marketplaces. You'll be eating between 15 & 20 different foods! This tour takes place all over Honolulu, away from the touristy areas of Waikiki, where only the real locals go to eat. Our North Shore Food Tour™ gives guests a tasty glimpse of the colorful and rural "countryside" area of our island of Oahu. Many people read about the North Shore, about the beautiful huge waves, the garlic shrimp trucks, and rustic away-from-the-city areas, and that's what we give our guests, including some genuine Hawaiian food, a garlic shrimp plate, various pastries, Hawaiian Beer, and a visit to a coffee and sugar plantation.
Reviewed June 22, 2008

We did this tour yesterday and can absolutely attest to all the positive things that have been said by previous reviewers. Matthew and Keira were welcoming, full of wonderful information, and the food was outstanding. It was all tastes that were different and wonderful - manapua (incredible stuffed buns) started us off and I didn't think it could get better than that but each stop added another wonderful taste. I had never seen a lychee nut in a shell that you could peel to reveal this wonderful juicy fruit - we bought some to bring back. The noodle shop where you could see how they were made and then taste the result was great. And the malasadas - Portuguese doughnuts that ended the trip!!!!

This is a great experience and one that will be the highlight of your stay in Oahu. Don't miss it.

Dottie Kaplan

5  Thank Dottiejk
There are newer reviews for Hawaii Food Tours

Reviewed June 17, 2008

In trying to find something above and beyond the usual in Hawaii, I bumped into this tour on TripAdvisor. I further vetted the tour with other searches - everything came up positive.

We spent a full four hours touring and tasting Hawaii. The various offerings from fruit to meat-filled pastries to the Hawaiian plate lunch emphasized good food and flavor over purely exotic. I mention that because I was a bit apprehensive at the beginning of the tour because I am not a "gourmet eater." NO WORRIES! 95% of the food was what I would consider standard - but with outstanding flavor.

The pace of the tour was just perfect - never hurried, never bored. At one of our stops in China town, we faced a bit of a delay so we could taste the freshly prepared pork, the conscientious Kiera didn't waste this time. She suggested to Matthew that he should take us around the corner and sample another pastry while we awaited our fresh pork. This attention to detail is just one of the examples that pushes this tour far and beyond the "hokey" and sometimes mundane that you find on other tours. You truly feel like you are on a "VIP" behind the scenes look at Hawaii.

With two expert guides, both in food and Hawaii, we delighted the entire way. I can recommend this tour to anyone!

5  Thank cmcinca
Reviewed June 15, 2008

I totally recommend the Hawaii Food Tours "Hole in the Wall" tour - and I recommend doing it early on in your trip. We did this tour our first full day in Hawaii, and it allowed us to visit a couple of the places again throughout our visit.

Matthew and Keira are wonderful hosts, and their local knowledge - not just about food - made the day even better. These two know their food, and they know Hawaii, and they know how to enable you to enjoy it to the fullest!

When researching for this trip, I decided to do this food tour over a luau - and boy am I glad I did.

Do it - you won't regret it one bit! It was definitely a highlight of our trip and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

6  Thank slappyfive
Reviewed June 14, 2008

This is a must-do for all foodies. We would recommend taking this tour early on in your stay. We did this the morning after we arrived - it was perfect. We took the Hole-in-the-wall tour. Matthew Gray is very knowledgeable, as is his wife. They were very welcoming, and gave us a tour of not only food, but of the city too, as we drove around waikiki and honolulu in their van picking up tourisits, or between stops. All of the food we tasted was amazing, things we would never find on our own. My favorite the Maunapua - which being our first day we hadn't seen yet--but hunted down the rest of our Honeymoon. Not having a car and having just arrived, made this tour perfect to get out and see Hawaii, and get to know the (food) culture. And to top it off Matthew provided his 'restaurant list' for not only O'ahu but the other islands we were staying on too, making our entire stay a food adventure!

7  Thank kas2337
Reviewed June 2, 2008

If you are a foodie, this tour is for you. I had no idea what to expect from the "Hole-in-the-Wall" tour, but it was even more than I could have hoped for. They arrived promptly at our hotel to pick us up in a 15-passenger van marked with "Hawaii Food Tours" on the side, and Matthew and Keira were immediately our best friends. They took the time to learn everyone's name and a little about them - I immediately felt comfortable.

Then they whisked us away to the most amazing spots in Honolulu, NONE of which I would have ever thought or known to go on my own. And we ate. And ate. And ate. Four solid hours of eating, but I never felt uncomfortably full. They spaced the tour out nicely. Keira and Matthew are a wealth of knowledge about food, of course, and anxious to share that knowledge with you. But they're also a wealth of knowledge of the area, and will probably know the answer to any question you could think to ask about Hawaii. They truly love food, and are so enthusiastic about sharing that love.

The places they took us were amazing. Every single "hole in the wall" had the most AMAZING food, and from all different ethnic origins. It was the best "meal" I've ever had on vacation!!

8  Thank cbulges