“Make this the first thing you do in Hawaii!”
Review of Hawaii Food Tours

Hawaii Food Tours
Ranked #1 of 23 Food & Drink in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Hawaii Food Tours™ was created by Hawaii's #1 Food Writer and Restaurant Reviewer, Chef Matthew Gray. It's for those who love food & fun. Voted Best Tours on Oahu for the past two years in a row! Two different daily tours; one takes place in & around Honolulu... the other goes to the North Shore. We will feed, educate and entertain you all day long! MSNBC Network called us one of the best food experiences in the world! These fantastic tours feature Yummy Food, Fascinating History, and Culinary Decadence! Our Famous Hole-in-the-Wall Tour™ includes a behind-the-scenes walking and tasting tour in Honolulu's amazingly colorful Chinatown! It's an entertaining, informative and FUN Honolulu City Tour with several stops, including 2 of Hawaii's most famous Bakeries & one of a kind Marketplaces. You'll be eating between 15 & 20 different foods! This tour takes place all over Honolulu, away from the touristy areas of Waikiki, where only the real locals go to eat. Our North Shore Food Tour™ gives guests a tasty glimpse of the colorful and rural "countryside" area of our island of Oahu. Many people read about the North Shore, about the beautiful huge waves, the garlic shrimp trucks, and rustic away-from-the-city areas, and that's what we give our guests, including some genuine Hawaiian food, a garlic shrimp plate, various pastries, Hawaiian Beer, and a visit to a coffee and sugar plantation.
Idaho
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Make this the first thing you do in Hawaii!”
Reviewed June 15, 2008

I totally recommend the Hawaii Food Tours "Hole in the Wall" tour - and I recommend doing it early on in your trip. We did this tour our first full day in Hawaii, and it allowed us to visit a couple of the places again throughout our visit.

Matthew and Keira are wonderful hosts, and their local knowledge - not just about food - made the day even better. These two know their food, and they know Hawaii, and they know how to enable you to enjoy it to the fullest!

When researching for this trip, I decided to do this food tour over a luau - and boy am I glad I did.

Do it - you won't regret it one bit! It was definitely a highlight of our trip and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

6 Thank slappyfive

• Turkish first
Blacksburg, VA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great foodie experience!”
Reviewed June 14, 2008

This is a must-do for all foodies. We would recommend taking this tour early on in your stay. We did this the morning after we arrived - it was perfect. We took the Hole-in-the-wall tour. Matthew Gray is very knowledgeable, as is his wife. They were very welcoming, and gave us a tour of not only food, but of the city too, as we drove around waikiki and honolulu in their van picking up tourisits, or between stops. All of the food we tasted was amazing, things we would never find on our own. My favorite the Maunapua - which being our first day we hadn't seen yet--but hunted down the rest of our Honeymoon. Not having a car and having just arrived, made this tour perfect to get out and see Hawaii, and get to know the (food) culture. And to top it off Matthew provided his 'restaurant list' for not only O'ahu but the other islands we were staying on too, making our entire stay a food adventure!

7 Thank kas2337
Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A Must-Do Tour!”
Reviewed June 2, 2008

If you are a foodie, this tour is for you. I had no idea what to expect from the "Hole-in-the-Wall" tour, but it was even more than I could have hoped for. They arrived promptly at our hotel to pick us up in a 15-passenger van marked with "Hawaii Food Tours" on the side, and Matthew and Keira were immediately our best friends. They took the time to learn everyone's name and a little about them - I immediately felt comfortable.

Then they whisked us away to the most amazing spots in Honolulu, NONE of which I would have ever thought or known to go on my own. And we ate. And ate. And ate. Four solid hours of eating, but I never felt uncomfortably full. They spaced the tour out nicely. Keira and Matthew are a wealth of knowledge about food, of course, and anxious to share that knowledge with you. But they're also a wealth of knowledge of the area, and will probably know the answer to any question you could think to ask about Hawaii. They truly love food, and are so enthusiastic about sharing that love.

The places they took us were amazing. Every single "hole in the wall" had the most AMAZING food, and from all different ethnic origins. It was the best "meal" I've ever had on vacation!!

8 Thank cbulges
Louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Make the "Hole-in-the-Wall" tour the first thing you do!”
Reviewed May 26, 2008

I really enjoy trying new/different foods, so I was thrilled to find the "Hole-in-the-Wall" food tour in Oahu. I had really, really high expectations and I was certainly not disappointed!

Matthew and Keira are just the best hosts - I felt like I was visiting family and they were showing me around. They genuinely like what they do - I could tell they enjoy food and entertaining/educating people (they made everyone feel comfortable right away). Now about the awesome tour....

We (there were nine of us) were picked up and taken to cool places that I know I would not have found on my own - I definitely would not have gone into the Ying Leong Look Funn Factory and seen noodles being made by hand! That spot was my favorite - I enjoyed the Chinatown walk the most because we saw and ate so many different things.

I think it would be beneficial to make this tour one of the very first things you do, as it will help you to get more fun out of the time you have. Matthew and Keira impart so much information as you travel from place to place - they gave us tips about site-seeing and great places to eat/where NOT to eat, the history of places we visited/drove by, and insight into Hawaiian culture. This tour was actually the highlight of my entire trip!

The tour wasn't just about food, so even if you are not into cooking/food and your loved one would like you to accompany him/her, I think you will have fun without even trying. ;)

9 Thank carmallen
Boston
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Highlight of our Time on Oahu”
Reviewed May 23, 2008

I know good people and good food, you get both in great quantity and quality with Hawaii Food Tours. Matthew and Keira (an engaged couple) run their homespun business like clockwork. Every stop, every bit of information is accurate, informative and entertaining. The food, but more so their interpretation of the context in which the food is offered and the cultural importance of the particular food or neighborhood shine in their presentation.

We enjoyed a 5 tour of the city, really a city tour is hidden beneath the food tour, they make their circuit to include all the major tourist sites - the palace, Diamond Head, Chinatown, the harbor, etc.

The food selections and quality were excellent, with a bias towards Asian and Hawaiian comfort foods - go to love the loco moco mixed plate! Overall it is a great value at their current rates, they don't skimp on samplings and you never feel like you are on a paid tour, it really feels like old friends showing you around their home town.

Two big thumbs up to Matthew and Keira from John and Sarah from Boston!

10 Thank Fiveoclockcaptain