“Hole in the Wall Tour Honolulu”
Review of Hawaii Food Tours

Hawaii Food Tours
Ranked #1 of 26 Food & Drink in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Hawaii Food Tours™ was created by Hawaii's #1 Food Writer and Restaurant Reviewer, Chef Matthew Gray. It's for those who love food & fun. Voted Best Tours on Oahu for the past two years in a row! Two different daily tours; one takes place in & around Honolulu... the other goes to the North Shore. We will feed, educate and entertain you all day long! MSNBC Network called us one of the best food experiences in the world! These fantastic tours feature Yummy Food, Fascinating History, and Culinary Decadence! Our Famous Hole-in-the-Wall Tour™ includes a behind-the-scenes walking and tasting tour in Honolulu's amazingly colorful Chinatown! It's an entertaining, informative and FUN Honolulu City Tour with several stops, including 2 of Hawaii's most famous Bakeries & one of a kind Marketplaces. You'll be eating between 15 & 20 different foods! This tour takes place all over Honolulu, away from the touristy areas of Waikiki, where only the real locals go to eat. Our North Shore Food Tour™ gives guests a tasty glimpse of the colorful and rural "countryside" area of our island of Oahu. Many people read about the North Shore, about the beautiful huge waves, the garlic shrimp trucks, and rustic away-from-the-city areas, and that's what we give our guests, including some genuine Hawaiian food, a garlic shrimp plate, various pastries, Hawaiian Beer, and a visit to a coffee and sugar plantation.
Reviewed February 24, 2013

If you ever have the chance to take this tour-JUMP! It is one of the best things I did in Honolulu. Amazing guides-Greg and Sahara- showed us some out of the way places, that you would never find on your own. The food is delicious and plentiful- the history lesson is fun and the comraderies you form on that tour will stay with you for a long time.If you are a foodie- like myself-BOOK NOW- NOT to be missed. I cannot say enough good things! Mahalo!!

24  Thank DianeBennettHarcott

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was travelling alone and came across this tour and knew it wasn't something I could miss. My tour guides were Greg and Sahara. Straight away getting on this bus was pleasant they took time to ask where I was from and had me interacting with the other people on the bus. Sahara was happy to answer any questions we had both food and waikiki related.

Our first stop was a little sweet bread shop whilst eating they pointed out filming locations and temples. Being on the bus was enjoyable Gary was a fantastic driver. Being on the bus solo was probably the best thing, all the other tour members were willing to chat and have a laugh about my accent and use of the word "jumper". These people probably made the tour even better and can only hope for another group that friendly.

All the food we had was fresh and full of flavour. Half way through I thought surely I would have to stop for food on my way home an a Burger King but my goodness I was wrong. I was soooo full by the end of it I thought I would be sick.

I can't even begin to say how highly suggested it is for visitors or even locals (and there were 3 on my bus) to do this tour. Fantastic food, guides and sights to see. If I had the time I would do it again tomorrow but instead I promise to return with family and do the tour again in the future.

Best thing I've done all holiday.

37  Thank feltonese
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The moment we met Matthew & Rachel, we knew we were going on a great
adventure! Matthew's experience as a chef in L.A. and his passion for food
was quite evident. We tasted 15 different items, many we had never heard of.
Their narration of each area helped to understand the delicious gem we were
about to eat. Chinatown is like stepping back in time, a little mysterious and
left us wanting to go back very soon. All of our tastings were chosen by their
freshness in the market that day. THIS IS A TOUR NO ONE SHOULD MISS!
Well worth the time and money!!! Good Luck, Matthew & Rachel, we look forward
to your tours on the North Shore. Until next time...

37  Thank Chinagene
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My partner Curtis and I took this tour this past fall and absolutely loved it! We have travelled to Hawaii on several occassions and just never found the time to take a food tour. But man are we glad we finally took this one. First of all, you get to taste so many exceptional food items at all of the local spots. Sahara and Bill took the time to get to know each of us and made sure we all had a great time. We ate baked Manapua, which normally is steamed but is baked at the Royal Kitchen. It's funny because after the tour, we saw many different places selling the steamed version. I'm glad we got to try the baked kind. It was yummy. A big fan of Hawaii Five O it was fun to try the coco puff pastry which is mentioned in the show. Curtis is more the adventuresome time with foods and he loved the Chinatown walk with all of the different types of foods and fruits to eat. I loved being able to go places that all of the travel and food network shows had visited. Overall this was a great way to really see what the locals experience day to day. The hole in the wall tour will be by far the best way to experience the true Hawaii. Can't wait to take this tour again when we return next year!!

45  Thank Kelly T
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We booked this trip after arriving into Waikiki to a sea of tourists and feeling like we were never going to know wherefoods at! Working in the food industry, we travel to eat, learn about new cultures and are always up for trying new things.

The customer service was exceptional, after having made a mistake with my booking, this was swiftly rectified in a very friendly way, with no fuss. We had no idea what to expect and had our morning coffee as instructed and waited with anticipation for our collection. In rolls the Hawaii Food Tours bus, a comfortable, air conditioned bus. We knew we were in for a good day! We were received so warmly by Sahara and Mike and the rest of our group. We were all cordially introduced and Sahara and Mike did a fantastic job of explaining to us in detail about our food stops. These are people that we can really relate to, people who plan their day around the food they are going to eat! They understood that whoever decided to take this tour would be geeky enough about their food to want every detail. And we really did get detail. Mike and Sahara knew the tour inside out, and even planned the trip according to what they sensed we would like best.

Each stop was intricately explained to us along the way, with plenty of opportunity to take photos of the food, before, during and after, and as a bonus, some local history was thrown in which was really interesting. I can't remember how many stops we made, maybe 6 or 7, but the food just got better and better.We even had an opportunity to wander around the market in Chinatown, with Mike who answered all our questions. Sahara ran ahead to hunt and gather for us, ensuring we never had to queue or fend for ourselves. They even provided us with chilled water throughout the day.

We ate in places we wouldn't have dreamed of eating at and Matt's restaurant list that was kindly sent out in our confirmation email kept us going for the rest.

Mochi ice-cream being the highlight and a must try, Jackie's teriyaki chicken was a dream and that 5 layers of heaven crispy pork was divine! Spam musubi also a surprise favourite!

All in all a fantastic day and worth every penny!

33  Thank silvermitchell