“Excellent Happy Hour”

Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
“Excellent Happy Hour”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I've heard of Tsukiji's (mainly for their buffet) and just so happen to see a Groupon for appetizers and thought..why not..never knew they had a Happy Hour.

What I failed to notice on the Groupon certificate was that it wasn't applicable for Happy Hour which is kind of strange because the Groupon did say appetizers and drinks, which I just assumed was Happy Hour but nevertheless I was intent on going and I had already invited a bunch of friends. But on to the Happy Hour experience.

Got there around 6pm. Happy Hour is from 3pm - 7pm so we just made it. I guess you could characterize the appetizers as being Asian Infused pupus. The appetizers were FABULOUS!! They have a special menu for appetizers for Happy Hour which is so reasonable!!

Here comes the tricky part. I showed our server the Groupon ($30 worth of appetizers/drinks) and wanted to use however, it did mention that it could not be used with Happy Hour items. Well, Tsukiji's has a regular appetizer menu as well and I was told that we could use the Groupon for the regular priced appetizers. SWEET!! Just keep in mind that alot of the special menu appetizers are on the regular menu so you just have to find a regular priced appetizer item or drink item. Our group decided to get 2 Oxtail soups at $10 and Coconut Shrimp for $11 - that took care of the Groupon. Then we were free to order off the special happy hour menu. We got the steamed edamame with thai sauce, 2 orders of char siu friend rice, asian 5 spice calamari, crab and artichoke dip, and the spicy buffalo wings..oh and the heinken on special. The order went in and in 5 mins our char siu friend rice order was on our table..nice, hot and fresh..WOW!! Then, came the rest of our order..the only hickup came when an extra order of buffalo wings came out..at first I was like no we didn't order but the server checked and was told it was ours...for the price, we took it, then two more char siu fried rice appeared which definitely not ours..but I think they eventually found out who ordered.. The spicy buffalo wings weren't as spicy as I thought it would be but still very good flavor as well as the rest of the order - I really digged the fried rice and calamari. The calamari was legs and body all cut up and lightly coated and not just a "fillet" of calamari all sliced up pretty. The crab/artichoke dip was nice and hot and came with 5 or 6 slices of thickly cut french/sour dough bread, although the group immensely like it, I found it to be somewhat creamier in texture (I prefer chunkier) than I normally like but overall pretty good. Those that had the Oxtail soup mentioned that the broth was really good but the meat itself was a little tough, and no peanuts (I myself don't like peanuts in my Oxtail) but overall good. I think we paid around $35 got everything. Now you can't beat that!!

Next time the group comes here (definitely be a next time) they've already mentioned that they want to try the Blue Crab Cakes, the Asian Nachos, the Char Broiled Ribeye and the Kaui Beef Sliders - all on the Happy Hour menu along with some other items (ie Maui Onion Ahi Poke, Steamed Clams, and Parmesan Truffle Fries).

Service and ambiance (flat screens but still could hold a conversation) - very good
Food - Excellent

• Korean first
Kapaa, Hawaii
“DA BEST!”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Second time here. Will keep coming back. The snow crab was GREAT! I kept going back for more. Everything else was GREAT too. We went early on a Sunday evening so we didn't have to wait for a table. The service was good and the food was fresh.

gillybean604
“Excellent food, non-existent service”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We found out about this place through groupon. The appetizers are FANTASTIC. The Asian nachos, calamari, sliders, chicken wings, and artichoke dip was great. I gave it 4/5 because after our server took our order, she disappeared. We literally did not see her after that. No one came to check on us or fill our glasses. It wasn't till towards the end when someone came to clear our table that we got service. But even getting our bill took awhile despite only 3 other tables full. But overall, food was great.

1 Thank gillybean604
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great and delicious selection of sushi, seafood and much more”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I highly recommend this place to eat, if you are in Honolulu, HI

“what a bummer”
Reviewed May 5, 2012

we decided to take a friend for his last day on the island to tsukiji's, everything was going great...sushi was yummy, meat jun, crab legs all good as well...our waiter was awesome he came by refilling out water and tea, having a good time until I went to grab another piece of my kim chee cucumber I found a hair on it. Totally ruined it for me, didn't want to eat anything else I mean who knows what else fell on the other food. At least it wasnt on our friends plate, but it never should have been on anyone's plate at all. If it wasn't for the hair my ratings would've been higher. I give the wait service a five. Sorry Tsukiji not good for a come back. :(

1 Thank LilBnySs