“Seemed like real Hawaii”
Review of Koko Head Cafe

Koko Head Cafe
Ranked #27 of 2,744 Restaurants in Honolulu
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 27, 2019

This restaurant is not "on the strip" but located in a more neighborhood-like part of the city. It is clear that locals come here. It's crowded, but only in a good way. I had an awesome omelette with fish and my wife had a skillet of something wonderful. A perfect lunch. (BUT, they don't do dinner here, so be aware.)

Date of visit: May 2019
Write a reviewReviews (450)

Reviewed May 21, 2019

We were expecting the wait, so the 20 minutes we ended up waiting was painless, if not a bit hot in the sun. As visitors to Oahu, I asked the waitress for recommendations and was not disappointed. The special curry dumplings were amazing and my breakfast bimbimbop was great. I really wanted to try more off the menu but these two were perfectly filling. Coming back here on my next trip to Honolulu.

Reviewed May 10, 2019 via mobile

Okay, maybe not so hidden as it was already completely full when we arrived at 7:30 AM! We enjoyed crispy dumplings and an chicken/egg dish. Recommended.

Reviewed May 9, 2019

...but I didn't find Koko Head Cafe to be that great. I read the reviews and have been wanting to go for quite some time now but when we got there, I was't overly impressed with the food. And given how busy it is, I don't think it's worth the wait. You can't make reservations and because they aren't that big and they are busy, they will only seat you if your whole party is there. We ordered volcano eggs, bibimbup, locomoco, daily dumplings, cornflake french toast and the donuts & coffee. None of these really stood out as really outstanding and I didn't like the dumpling (it was beef stroganoff). Other than the dumplings, nothing was terrible either but it wasn't so much better than any other brunch place that I would come back and wait. I'm glad I tried it but I don't think I'll be back.

Date of visit: April 2019
1  Thank Family8travels
Reviewed April 23, 2019

But doesn’t that tell you something? It is worth waiting for! We hit this place after hiking Diamond Head and had about a 40 minute wait. In Hawaii, you have to hang loose and go with the flow.
I had a miso pork and onion omelet and my wife had a miso pork rice bowl that seemed like a bottomless bowl! Both were awesome
Somehow I missed the French toast but the guy next to me had it and he loved it, too.
This is a can’t miss place for breakfast!

Date of visit: April 2019