“Great Dim Sum, but needs better service”

Mandalay Restaurant
Ranked #566 of 2,471 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Honolulu
Reviewed December 28, 2010

Had lunch with two mainland guests. Wanted them to experience dim sum, but our usual place was closed that day for a private event. The Dim Sum was good, food came to the table quickly, and we enjoyed everything we had. The service problem was that I misunderstood how to order. Rather than the usual carts, you ordered on a form they provided. I thought we were ordering pieces for each choice, but we were ordering baskets, so I marked the form on many items a 3 rather than a 1. When the server came, she loudly pointed out my mistake in front of my guests and the other diners saying I don't know what I'm doing to order 27 baskets of food. I was really embarrassed in front of my guests. It could have been handled much more delicately, I don't think I will bring guests there again despite the good food.

3  Thank Pikala01

Reviewed April 17, 2009

I come to this restaurant several times a month for lunch. The quality of the food is generally good, but it fluctuates. I love the peking duck - quality, quantity and price - the best deal. The dim sum is excellent, and their casseroles are fabulous. The service is great until it's time to pay the bill. For some reason, the waters/waitresses disappear when it's time to pay. Until then... no complaints.

2  Thank HonoluluFoodie
Reviewed July 9, 2008

The Mandalay is in downtown Honolulu and reads "fine Asian cuisine" on the restaurant's storefront. I would have to question this. We dined here for dinner with a large party. The restaurant had the reservation for our large party (by large, I mean between 30 and 40 guests), but did not properly staff the restaurant for that evening. There was another party of approximately 12 guests, and some random tables of diners. There were 3 waitstaff/servers and one manager/bartender. Iced tea was requested for the drink order but never showed up. When we asked where it was, the server explained it would be at least an hour to get the iced tea. Why they could not pour the existing hot tea over ice, we'll never know. The food servings were plentiful, but not the best tasting. The servers worked very hard and tried to many diners that filled barely half of the dining room, but it was still a slow process. Then, the unusual part. The woman who seemed like she was the manager/bartender (perhaps owner???) sat at a table IN THE DINING ROOM where a man proceeded to use a massage balm to provide a neck and shoulder massage to her. Then she stayed there and chatted with the people. The bar was not tended to, and, when the group wanted more pina coladas, none could be made. We were told that she was getting a massage and asked if we wanted something else. I guess no one else could make them, and she could not be disturbed to help the patrons in her restaurant. Why she could not go into a back room, as there are many, for her massage, one will never know. Why her massage trumped the diners' requests is perhaps the biggest question. Although the staff is very kind and tries hard, I think common sense is and quality dinner food is lacking at this restaurant. If you do go here, there is a pay parking lot across the street. The restaurant validates after 5pm for this lot.

3  Thank hawaii808-1
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed January 27, 2008

No Parking

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 11, 2008

When looking for a great restaurant in downtown Honolulu for lunch, make sure to consider the Mandalay. Whether it's business, pleasure, group or by yourself, this place works.

A couple of quick tips. Both dim sum and regular menus are great. However, for the more budget conscious, I would highly recommend the dim sum. The restaurant can also get busy, but it is a "nice" busy. Therefore, if you need a little more quiet atmosphere then request for an upstairs table. Lastly, it's best to make reservations; and if not familiar with the area, ask them about the best places to find parking.

I was very impressed with their great cuisine and beautiful surroundings. But I think what impressed me most was their outstanding service--it rocks.

I've already recommended it to many friends and colleagues.

3  Thank HI_50