“Amazing family vacation!”

Wyndham at Waikiki Beach Walk
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I took my wife, 2 boys (4 and 9 months), and my mother-in-law for the babysitting duties. This property has a great location! Be aware of the $30 per night for parking. If you figure this cost in ahead of time (like I did), it's no big deal. RENT A CAR!!! It is especially convenient when you have little ones to explore the island around your kids' schedule. We also stayed 2 nights at the Aulani and it was amazing. I recommend staying at this resort while you explore the island, Luaus (Paradise Cove), Pearl Harbor, Polynesian Cultural Center, Lanikai Beach, & Beachwalk. Then, go stay at the Aulani for 2 nights and enjoy the resort (you won't need/want to leave).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Daniel R
There are newer reviews for Wyndham at Waikiki Beach Walk

Reviewed August 20, 2012

My friend and I made plans to spend our birthdays in Honolulu/Waikiki (both May 4th -- what are the odds?), and decided to rent a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom condo at this complex. Boy are we ever glad we did! The Waikiki Wyndham was in a great location -- a mere 5 minute walk to the most gorgeous beach (we hung out at the beach in front of the pink hotel) in one direction and a block the other direction to some amazing shopping and restaurants. We really felt like we were in the middle of the best of both worlds. Our unit was on the 8th floor overlooking the pool area. If we looked straight out we could JUST see the ocean above the parking garage across the alley. We didn't mind too much since we generally didn't spend much time in the condo during the day. However I can imagine the lower levels weren't too fond of their view. The condo was clean and had everything we needed to feel right at home. The only unfortunate thing were the daily calls from the resort's welcome desk -- inviting us to a 'presentation'. We wanted nothing to do with the time-share presentation, and after 4 or 5 "no thank you's", they got the idea.
But, other than that, the staff was excellent to deal with and always offered great tourism advice. In particular the fellow working at the info desk -- I can't remember his name, but he was wonderful. He was very proud of his Hawaiian heritage, and that spoke volumes about their staff! And did I mention they serve free Hawaiian shaved ice by the pool every few days? It was a really nice touch, especially on the hot days.

The area is safe and clean and close to everything you need. If you can't find what you're looking for in the direct area, there are bus stops all over to take you from A to B. I would absolutely recommend this location for couples, friends, or families looking for home-away-from-home accommodations.

Room Tip: Ask for the units higher up when booking (8th floor and up).
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank CelesteLaurenG
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Because I got so much information on Tripadvisor for my Hawaii-trip, I am writing my first review. We stayed in the Wyndam Waikik Beachwalk in July for 6 nights and had the best time. We were in a 2-bedroom unit (4 adults and 1 child) and it was perfect for us. We booked with Chris (Hawaiicondosusa) and stayed in apartment 706, Lewers Street view. Perfect spot to view and listen to the music in front of the hotel almost every afternoon. Perfect location, short walk to everything. Pool is not big, but nice for a quick dip, and the beach is very close... Not much pressure from Timeshare-people at all. They asked us to come to the Welcome Center to pick up coupons and stuff and asked if you wanted to attend a meeting. We said no and were not pressured at all. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dutchcruisers
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This was my first trip to Hawaii and It was not what I thought it would be like. It was cozy and had great amenities. Everyone were friendly and courteous which was pleasant when we wanted to book something down in the lobby. The furniture looked out dated and a bit small, however, I did enjoy having the washer and dryer inside the unit. I would not go back again. Our view was a huge parking garage lot and noise. The resort is located and surrounded by everything. Shopping,dinning,beaches, and all other activities were within five minutes. Overall, I give it an average.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Everything about the Wyndham was great. This was our first trip to Hawaii as a family, though my wife and I had be a few times pre-kids!

First up, Chris' handling of our reservsations was "above and beyond". Everything went smoothly, and he was very helpful with little questions we had about Waikiki. We booked through HawaiiCondosUSA.com, and that made things simple.

In addition, the Wyndham resort was great. The location truly is a two-minute walk from the beach, and the resort has events going throughout the week for adults and kids. It is also central located just a block from the main road, with lots of restaurants, shops and trolley/bus stops to take you all over Honolulu. Also, there is a general store between the resort and the beach, so you can get whatever you need for food, drinks, sun tan lotion, everything.

We would definitely stay here again! The room was great (2 BD, 2 BR), the kitchen and washer/dryer really helped. And the staff at the Wyndham was first rate.

Steve

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SMcNamara815
Reviewed August 8, 2012

In recent years, Wyndham has been dropping off in value. High pressure sales, promises of the moon and then WAY high "maintenance fees." We had to argue for thirty minutes to get another room that didn't smell like dog urine- and this after coming from the exquisite Aulani operated by Disney. The only real reason we ended up here and not the Sheraton on the beach was that the In-law had to use or lose points. And God, don't let me get started on the shell game that is the Wyndham timeshare points system... Oh yes,, did I mention the 35 Dollar a day fee for parking your car (there is NO other reasonable option nearby- I looked). If you're single or looking to drink and party each night, this is an option, for EVERYONE else pick somewhere else and save a small fortune.

Room Tip: Try to get into the NEW rooms, the old ones look like something out of A 70s sitcom.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank thechangingtimes
Reviewed August 1, 2012

In July of 2012 I stayed at the Wyndham for 7 days for the second year in a row with three friends. On both occasions we stayed in a two bedroom, two bathroom condo and on both occasions we were beyond satisfied with our surroundings. The condo was very spacious and it is so handy to have a kitchen and washer and dryer in your own room. The beds were large and very comfortable. In terms of facilities, the rooms also offer a safe, plenty of wardrobe space and a good amount of towels and beach towels.

On this trip we were situated on the 9th floor with a view of the car park and the pool and also a small ocean view as well. Having a view of the car park was neither offensive nor confronting as some reviews seem to suggest. There was some degree of noise, but it was not an issue for any of us. I think the size of the condo is definitely one of the highlights. Compared to a hotel room you are getting so much more space which is good when there are a number of people travelling together. You are not forced to live on top of each other for the whole trip. There were also three televisions in the condo which means there is no fighting over the remote control.

The pool is of a reasonable size though nothing in comparison to those found at some of the more high-end hotels, however with the beach so close and it being calm and flat and good for any swimming capabilities, its size is really of no matter. There are basic facilities for kids such as table tennis and they had a number of small events while we were there. One night they had a pool party and movie for the kids, another time they were selling cheap shave ice and on Thursday between 4 and 5pm they have a welcoming ceremony where traditional Hawaiian music, dance and food are enjoyed and everyone is given a lovely fresh lei.

The staff at the Wyndham are also very happy, friendly and eager to help. As this was our second visit and the hotel staff remembered us we were not at all bothered by those selling timeshare. We received one phone call for us to pick up our welcome pack and on doing so they took up no more than 5 minutes of our time and the information that they gave us was very useful. Whenever we called the front desk for more towels etc. they arrived within minutes.

Other than the inexpensive price to stay at the Wyndham (we booked through VRBO) the best thing about the Wyndham is the location. It really is in the centre of everything. It is minutes from the beach - we swam at Fort Derussy Beach Park and found it to be less crowded than some of the other beaches. I would highly recommend renting some sporting equipment off the beach. It is reasonably cheap and so much fun. We got kayaks, water tricycles (hard to steer but quite hilarious) and paddle boards which were my favourite. A bit tricky at first but a lot of fun once you get the hang of it. There were also turtles in the water which made the water sports even more enjoyable.

It is also central to some good restaurants. On both trips we were regular diners at P.F. Changs, the Cheesecake Factory (don't order entrees or appetisers - there will be no room for dessert), Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (it is a little expensive but it is the best steak I have ever had), Kaiwa (best sushi and teppan I have ever had) and Duke's. Our favourite place for cocktails in Waikiki was at House Without a Key in the Halekulani Hotel. Not only is the service here second to none, the location of the seating area is so beautiful. You are positioned outside under a beautiful big tree right by the beach. The nights are balmy and the warm winds blow while a Hawaiian band and hula girl perform. It is truly a magical experience and definite highlight. We spent many evenings here for a drink before we went elsewhere for dinner. Other notable stand-outs were Giovanni's Pastrami and Yardhouse. Both are great for "happy hour", a good beer or specialty brew or a tasty snack or meal.

The Wyndham also puts you in a shopping heartland. There are so many shops including high end, specialty, surf and budget. Shops like Macy's, Forever 21, Margaritaville (great for t-shirts and souvenirs) and Sephora were on high rotation. You can also pick up some beautiful jewellery as there is a Cartier, Tiffany's, Swarovski and local jewellery store called Na Hoku that featured stunning and unique pieces. There is not a super market in walking distance but the ABC stores pretty much have everything you could possibly need from lei's to sandwiches. They are also good for last minute souvenirs.

The Wyndham is also located in what I guess you might call the "family friendly" part of town. By day and night it is full of people, is well lit and feels safe. By night, some other parts of Waikiki do not have exactly the same feel. Once you get passed the Moana Surfrider at night on Kalakaua Avenue, the landscape shifts quite dramatically. There are far less people around, and this seems to be where the prostitutes and homeless congregate. While a sad feature of any city, it can be a little confronting and somewhat unexpected, but it is also a cool reminder that while it appears to be a stunning island paradise there also seems to be a lot of poverty as well.

Regardless, Oahu is a fantastic place to visit and even after two years in a row I cannot wait to go back. There is something very calming, friendly and simple about Hawaii. The people are so laid-back and friendly and a cheerful "Aloha" and constant stream of Hawaiian shirts is surely enough to make anyone smile. I love Hawaii and whenever I go there, if I can, I will always stay at the Wyndham.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends