“Good cuisine with an interesting mix of choices”

Uncle Bo's Pupu Bar & Grill
Ranked #7 of 2,391 Restaurants in Honolulu
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis
Rockville, MD
“Good cuisine with an interesting mix of choices”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We all really enjoyed our dinners, and thought the selection offered a very wide selection of choices ranging from traditional Hawaiian foods to pasta to seafood. The restaurant itself is much bigger than it looks from the front with an oddly configured and kind of blah back room for spillover guests when it gets packed. On the one hand, this room was much quieter than the front room, on the other it made it easy for the wait staff to forget about you and was totally devoid of character. That being said, the service was pretty good, just felt lie we were missing the atmosphere.

Visited January 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Boston, Mass
“Creative cuisine near Waikiki”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We are tourists visiting Oahu, and Uncle Bo's is a short 2-mile drive/taxi from Waikiki (near the zoo). We started with crab cakes pupu (almost all crab meat complemented with a mild sweet/sour sauce) as an appetizer. My husband had the garlic ribeye entree (very tender and flavorable, though his medium/rare was a bit undercooked). I had the crab and avocado chef's salad (generous scoop of sweet crab with a perfectly balanced, semi-sweet creamy dressing), sufficient to serve as a dinner entree. For dessert, we shared the huge, warm, moist, fudgy brownie (3"x3") topped with 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream. I would categorize Uncle Bo's as "new American/Hawaiian cuisine" and would certainly recommend Uncle Bo's. The food was delicious and creative (unexpected sauces that complemented the ingredients), and the prices were reasonable.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Don't Let the Name Fool YOU, Way More than a Pupu Bar!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

A hidden gem in Honolulu!!! Friends were visiting, and I wanted them to have a tasty meal in Honolulu, but not at a hotel restaurant which is the case with most of Waikiki. I read about Uncle Bo's in my Frommer's guide for Hawaii, and I drive by it often when I am in Honolulu (it is close to Leonard's Bakery with their tasty and famous malasadas - so stop by the bakery for dessert after your meal at Uncle Bo's). We went for dinner at about 7pm on a Sunday, and we walked right in. However, if you are eating later, there was a line when we left around 8:30pm. Thus, I recommend reservations for 8pm and later and especially if you are going on the weekends. Inside is really pretty and a bit more upscale than you would imagine from the name and location. Don't get my wrong, you don't need to dress up, as it is still Hawaii where aloha shirts and flip flops are standard wear, but it is really nice inside. Our server was polite, professional, and prompt but not in your face and not too laid back to be lazy as can happen in Hawaii with the island lifestyle. The cocktails were tasty, and I really liked the lychee martini, and one of my friends had a delicious ginger cocktail. The menu is quite extensive with pupus, pizza, fish and seafood, steaks, chicken, and other meats. We decided to order a bunch of pupus and share everything. There were three of us, and we ordered six pupus thinking they would be small portions like most places with pupus or tapas, but they are HUGE portions! Honestly HUGE portions, and we could not finish all the food. The seafood dip is amazing with nice pieces of shrimp in it. It is also creamy and cheesy but not at all oily. The bowl is large and would easily serve a party of six. We also had the pork fried rice, steamed dumplings, a seafood soup. All were great tasting, but the seafood soup was bit hard to share pupu or tapas style because it was really just in a large soup bowl. The fish in it was cooked well along with shrimp, clams, squid, and some other things I am forgetting, but it was just not easy to share. I could have had it for my meal though. I have no idea what the food on the rest of the menu is like, but the pupus were amazing! Other friends are coming to visit in Feb., and I plan on going back. Whether you live on Oahu or are just vacationing, make Uncle Bo's a stop for an affordable, delicious meal in Honolulu! You wont be disappointed!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just OK”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

On the positive side - Uncle Bo's has a good vibe and lively atmosphere. On the negative side - the food and service are just average. The best dish I had was the ahi poke. Service was quite slow. Wine that was ordered had to be returned as it was rancid. Definitely not a great experience. I have had much better meals there in the past. It may have just been an off night.

Visited January 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Definately a bar--the food? WOW.”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I heard about this place, and was amazed when we went last night. The food is unbelievable. There is a wide range of prices on the menu. I was looking for seafood and since I heard the place had great food, I figured I would be safe getting it there...even though it is more of a bar and does not have the ambiance "fine dinning" The place is rather noisy--definately a bar--the food? WOW.

When I spoke with our waitress she suggested the dynamite shrimp on the pupu list and said the portion was quite large. My first thought was "yea, right" as I had planned to order an entire meal for more like $20.00...but I went with her suggestion. It was amazing---amazing---let me say that again---amazing. There was enough shrimp to make an entire meal---for just $9.00. Everyone in our group said their food was absolutely amazing....from those who ordered a full dinner to others, like me, who ordered just a Pupu. Absolutely worth a try--but remember it is a bar--Busy, loud, festive--not a place for children, but great food.