“Definately a bar--the food? WOW.”

Uncle Bo's Pupu Bar & Grill
Ranked #7 of 2,391 Restaurants in Honolulu
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Definately a bar--the food? WOW.”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I heard about this place, and was amazed when we went last night. The food is unbelievable. There is a wide range of prices on the menu. I was looking for seafood and since I heard the place had great food, I figured I would be safe getting it there...even though it is more of a bar and does not have the ambiance "fine dinning" The place is rather noisy--definately a bar--the food? WOW.

When I spoke with our waitress she suggested the dynamite shrimp on the pupu list and said the portion was quite large. My first thought was "yea, right" as I had planned to order an entire meal for more like $20.00...but I went with her suggestion. It was amazing---amazing---let me say that again---amazing. There was enough shrimp to make an entire meal---for just $9.00. Everyone in our group said their food was absolutely amazing....from those who ordered a full dinner to others, like me, who ordered just a Pupu. Absolutely worth a try--but remember it is a bar--Busy, loud, festive--not a place for children, but great food.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
“Value for money”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

It's a small restaurant with a night club vibe, after 10pm the lights go down and everyone is hanging around the bar. It is a very busy place and noisy place so if you have kids best to go early, luckily my kids don't mind noise and are night owls.

We ordered a few appetisers to share, food was a bit of hit and miss.

Upside - clams and seafood dish with broth was superb...would love the recipe. Chicken salad is huge, can feed an army...was fresh and healthy.
Downside was, Pizza was burnt on bottom and vegetarian lettuce wrap too creamy.
There were a beef dish stir fry which was ok and a chicken mix served with cheesy toast (don't really know what it is!!)

Overall should go for the seafood and clam dish. Also very cheap dinner with the amount of food we ordered.

toronto
“One of Honolulu's true gems”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This place was so good my wife and I went there twice in a week. Absolutely top notch food and drinks, good prices, huge portions, playful environment and nice servers. It's location away from the touristy Waikiki strip ensures that, while always busy, it's never completely overrun. We probably ordered half their pupus menu, and everything was fantastic. Go here.

Visited December 2012
Kamloops, Canada
“holy wow, batman.”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

some eateries are just beyond description. this is one of them. its in a category all of its own. we had the poki, and crab cakes, and shared the chicken marsela. omg. thats all I can say.
its got to be experienced to be described.

Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent food, great staff, cool decor”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My son and I asked the bar tender at the Outrigger Reef for a recommendation, and this was his first choice. We were taking a red-eye back to Canada via Bellingham and just wanted a place to have a light meal before doing the whole rental car return, check in and security stuff at the airport. We ordered three pupus - and all were delicious: fried wontons/gyoza, shrimp with walnuts in a butter lettuce wrap and the shaken beef with Thai seasonings. The latter was such a big portion that we took most of it with us. Our waitress was personable, efficient and good natured and we loved the lively nature of the place. Most of the patrons were young adults and it certainly was a happening environment on the Sunday night when we ate there. The decor outside is deceptive - it looks like a place you wouldn't venture into. Inside …delicious!