“Doors off is the only way to go!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Genesis Helicopters - CLOSED

Genesis Helicopters
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Doors off is the only way to go!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

This literally was so smooth and felt like a ride at Disney world! It was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had! Doors off is the only way to fly!

1 Thank cflynn1988

Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“huge huge dissapointement with Genesis Aviation”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

I called this company weeks before from Australia to confirm a flight booking on the 6th August as we were to arrive in Honolulu and the flight was a " special " birthday " present for my friend who had never experience a flight in a helicopter before. I called the day before & was told the pick up time from our hotel was 9.30AM & everything was OK weather wise etc.

at 8.40AM ( just 50 minutes before the hotel pick up time ) I received a call from whoever at Genesis to say the pilot had called in " sick " & the flight was cancelled.

The alternative was a flight the next day at 12.30Pm when the weather wasn't very good .
I don't believe the reason from Genesis for one moment ...you mean to say they don't have a plan B for this situation in a tourist city & there isn't a " stand by " pilot ?

Rating ...you don't have one suitable !!!!!

Visited August 2014
9 Thank jazza34
hawaiianhighinc, Pilot Jim at Genesis Helicopters, responded to this review, December 3, 2014
I have to admit that I was very disappointed to read your review of a flight that you never took.
Most of us have woke up in the morning at some point in our life and realized that sickness hit us hard and for that day in what many call Mantazuma's revenge would make it not only stinky, messy but just plain unprofessional to actually go to work and sit in a cockpit surrounded by other adults would not be a good idea!
As the pilot on that day, I could choose the option of staying home and not straying far from the toilet or go into work and share the unpleasantries with you all.
Obviously I choose what I think was the professional option that didn't gross out my potential guests. As far as a plan "B", yes the company does have a second chopper flying that day but it was flying to another island so not available.
I wish I had not got sick that day and would much rather had been here doing what I love most, and that is flying but as inconvenient as it was for you, you also have to realize that sickness doesn't always announce itself and not one of our passengers that got cancelled were charged a dime.
As you can read from the stellar 5 star reviews posted right here on Tripadvisor.com, we are good at what we love to do and for the guests that tour with us, they rave about their experience.
I personally hope that if you get to Oahu in the future, you will take the flight with us and I can't promise I won't ever get sick again, but the odds that both birds being unavailable are very remote.
You potential future pilot
Jim O'Donohue
Hong Kong, China
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great people, great views - doors-off!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

My wife and I were in Hawaii for our honeymoon. It was the third local tour we've taken - 60-65 minute doors-off tour, called Waimea Tour on their website. It was just amazing!

Starting from the first moment of their service, it was superb! Ian our chauffeur came to pick us up at our hotel. He eagerly chatted with us to make sure everyone was ready for the helicopter ride. Along the way to and from the airport, he also introduced many interesting places for us to pay a visit or grab some good food. He also let us know a lot more of the history of the island as he drove by.

Then it came to the most important part - the helicopter ride. The aircraft was much smaller than I had expected. However it was just all the more exciting as there are only 1 pilot 4 passengers - everyone could have a decent view!

Our pilot, Evan was a wonderful guide. He gave me advice on what camera to bring on board as I have taken both wide and zoom lenses. That really saved me effort and given us a better time to enjoy the flight rather than getting too busy with changing cameras in the air.

The flight was not as scary as I have thought. It did get bumpy when there's wind. However it was not to be worried about. And the view, it was just amazing! It is an entirely different angle one can look at things. It is different from looking out of a regular passenger aeroplane as it was doors-off! Especially that I was sitting on the side, there's nothing to block my view - and my body! My left foot was just one inch away from a vertical drop of, maybe 2000+ feet! Absolutely breathtaking experience!

The best parts of the trip was when Evan our pilot did the swing to change direction or just to let both sides of the copter to see the same view. We were like 30 degrees tilted and wow! The view and the reel were unimaginable!

Evan did a lot of explanation along the way and we could actually ask questions with the headset.

The Sacred Falls was a little bit disappointing as it was a bit far away and the amount of water flowing down did not really make much noise that could reach us.

The turquoise water, coral reefs, sandy beaches, plantation fields, raw mountain landscape with misty top gave us a great time up in the air. Oh, even the submarines and air force were so clearly seen from this angle.

The time we got back to the airport for landing was another amazing moment as we could see the airport from afar zooming in and the planes taking off from a very special angle that we could not have seen before.

All in all, great people, very friendly and helpful - thank you Evan, Ian and the lady at the office! And Great views! Remember to take the doors-off option if you wanna try. And, it is best to book directly with them as it saves money.

Mahalo Genesis Aviation!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank PatrickTseng
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Just Got to do it. Its the best fun you'll have with your pants on.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

How do I write a review of the most enjoyable fun experience of my wife's and I Hawaiian trip . It starts off with getting picked up by Jeff out the front of our hotel in a smick looking suv. Jeff then greets us and whilst driving to the heliport gives a commentary of Hawaii and its history and culture. When we arrive at the heliport we are given a safety briefing by Jim the other pilot which is very informative but he puts a humorous spin on it to keep you calm. Then after that your allocated your seat and pilot. We scored Jeff who was very professional and informative the whole flight and even spoke to us by name which I find very professional. The views are spectacular and awe inspiring. I had the starboard front seat and have awesome pics thanks to Jeff for putting me in the position to get these memories, also thanks for the little stop over Pearl Harbour for me. You have to go DOORS OFF. Thanks Jeff, Jim.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Chris A
Hong Kong, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Pilot Jim kept his promise and got us high!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Firstly apologies for the late review but better late than never. If you do only 1 tour in HNL, go with Jim, truly it was simply the best and you will see the whole island!
We decided on Genesis after all the excellent reviews on TA. Thank you Ian, Jim and Jonita (sorry if I've misspelt it) you all made it an experience of a lifetime.
Just watched some of the video and it is definitely worth it,got to relive it.
Doors off only in future.

This is just a note to anyone who books with a non US credit card, I got charged by mistake as we had paid cash but even though it was refunded immediately by Genesis, I paid HKD 155 as a result of exchange rates. I spoke with someone at Genesis to let them know and they apologised so all is well.
I will be booking a flying lesson with Jim next time we visit, felt so safe and enjoyed the conversation and music completely!!

Visited July 2014