“Great tour, great people, great time!”
Review of Genesis Helicopters - CLOSED

Genesis Helicopters
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I booked with Genesis through their website in Feb. 2013 for our April trip to Oahu. The day before our scheduled flight, I called them to verify our reservation. Glad I did, as they did not have it. I spoke with Jim and he quickly apologized for the snafu and immediately rescheduled us for the day after. We had to shuffle a few things around but it wasn't the end of the world. When speaking with Jim (one of the pilots), he was very thorough and reviewed everything about the trip and how to get there (since I turned down their offer to pick us up at our condo). Fast forward a couple days to our scheduled day...about 45 minutes before our agreed upon meeting time at the airfield, our rental car wouldn't start. A quick call to Jim solved that. He called his driver (Jason - interesting fellow to say the least!) in the field and rerouted him to pick us up along with with Canada Ron and Australia Chris.

After a brief video and explanation of the safety equipment, we went out to the tarmac, took a few photos and boarded the helo. Within minutes, we were off. We chose the "Doors Off" option and the longer 65 minute Waimea tour. It was my wife's first time in a helicopter and my first in a civilian version (I spent plenty of time in Marine helicopters!). The views were incredible (this is Hawaii after all!!) and Jim did a great job narrating everything and ensured that everyone got to see everything. My wife and I have traveled all over Oahu by car and thought we had seen it all. Were we ever wrong!! Even if you have seen it all, the views from the helicopter can not be beaten!

It is not the cheapest thing you can do on Oahu but it is one of the best! Jim, Jeff and Jason are great guys who love what they do and it shows. If you're going to splurge on only one thing when you're on Oahu, it better be for this! You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Don G
hawaiianhighinc, General Manager at Genesis Helicopters, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. The Doors Off helicopter views just can't be beat, I agree. NO reflections in any of your pictures, the open air of the chopper flying and the best legal high you can ever get is one of the reasons I became a pilot in the first place.
Meeting fantastic people like you just adds to the joy I get being your pilot.
I am glad you choose Genesis Aviation for the ultimate Doors Off helicopter experience and we hope to be able to see you again. Feel free to call our reservations line directly when you get back to Oahu at (808) 478-0288 and let go get high together all over again.
Mahalo
Jim O'Donohue :-)

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We only had a week in Hawaii and two children who liked staying by the hotel pool so we were not able to tour every day. The ride around the island was amazing and made you feel like you were seeing Oahu and getting a true sense of this incredible island without spending days touring. The staff were fantastic and very professional. So much fun......and worth every cent.
Go doors off - nothing like it and I am not very adventurous at all !!!

hawaiianhighinc, Pilot Jim at Genesis Helicopters, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Cynthia, thanks for stepping out of your comfort zone and becoming a bit more "Adventurous" for this special tour.
As you noted, the views from the air are simply amazing. I hear it regularly that seeing it from the bus or car or van was nice but seeing it from the air was way better and you get to see way more of the island than could ever be seen from the ground.
To see Sacred falls up close and personal is not even available any more from the ground after the landslide 10 years ago. To see circle rainbows (Yes, full 360 degree rainbows) is unheard of by most and yet we see them regularly from the air.
The cost of taking a helicopter ride is like an investment in adventure that will open your eyes to new vistas and sights never before imagined by most.
Thank you for sharing it with us here at Genesis Aviation.
Come on back and lets get high together again.
Pilot Jim

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Back home in Australia and we can't speak highly enough of the Genesis Aviation experience! Hotel transfer was prompt and entertaining (thanks to Jason). After the safety briefing, we went out to meet our fantastic pilot Jeff. Before we knew it, we were up up and away, feasting our eyes on the most magnificent scenery ever! Jeff was extremely informative, sharing his local knowledge of all the sites we witnessed throughout the trip. Thanks to all the friendly staff at Genesis Aviation for making four Aussie's trip to Hawaii such a memorable one! We'll definitely be spreading the word Down Under!

hawaiianhighinc, Pilot Jim at Genesis Helicopters, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

Thank you Rahul for the excellent review of your time with me in the air.
I agree with you that the investment of a chopper flight here on Oahu sure makes for a lifetime of memories. I know many are a bit nervous at first but once we get going, they are quickly put at ease by the stunning beauty all around us during the flight.
I like to provide a narrative for each of the special places all around our flight path so that when your done with the flight, not only do you have the awesome mental images but also a history and education of many of the places we got to see.
Our Whale season starts around late December and goes to March or April but we have had some come early and other stay late so it is always a special treat for me as well to see these beautiful creatures in the ocean playing with their young.
Please do come back and lets get high again here on Oahu.
Your pilot
Jim O'Donohue "-)

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This was my first time being in a helicopter and the clincher for me was the "Doors Off" option. It is worth every penny you spend on it. The guys who run this company are funny, easygoing and really want to make sure you have a good time. I was pretty nervous at the thought of flying up with nothing to my left but a few thousand feet, but what I felt more than anything was a thrill, and none of my photos have window glare. With the one-hour option, you get taken over the beautiful cityscape of downtown Honolulu and Waikiki, Diamond Head, Koko Head, Kailua, Haunauma Bay, North Shore Beaches, Pearl Harbor, the Dole Plantation and much more, including the Sacred Falls, which can only be accessed via the air - we even had a whale sighting! Our pilot, Jim, was informative and not only gave us anecdotes on each of the places we saw, but made sure that both sides of the helicopter got a chance to see. I'd recommend this to anybody and make sure you save it for the end of your Oahu stay - because everything else after just will not compare.

1  Thank Rahul P

Thank you Rahul for your rating of 5, I enjoyed being your pilot. I look forward to each and every flight with my guests and sure hope if you return to Hawaii, you will call us again for another flight.
Feel free to call our reservations line at (808) 478-0288 so we can get you our best deals.
I too love the freedom of flying with no doors. The reflections that having windows make would really reduce the beauty the way it was meant to truly be seen.
Mahalo
Jim O'Donohue :-)

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Spent 7 days in Oahu at the start of 2012 & it was an action packed trip but this was the highlight. The views from the open door helicopter are constantly spectacular & my real problem was not knowing what what awesome sight to keep my eyes. The helicopter being open door was a huge draw card as it allowed for fantastic photo opportunities free of glare from windows. The flight went anti clockwise around the island of Oahu coming across Waikiki & flying over Diamond Head crater before heading up the east coast over such sights as Chinamans Hat & the Ka'a'wa Valley before heading back down through the centre of the island & over Pearl Harbour. The flight went for nearly an hour & our skilled helicopter pilot was incredibly friendly & informative. I highly recommend this to anyone visiting the Oahu especially if it's only a short stay as this is a great way to see most of the island.

hawaiianhighinc, General Manager at Genesis Helicopters, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you for your rating of 5. It is a privilege to be able to take guests up and see the extreme beauty that we have here on Oahu. And to see those views with no doors means NO reflections which makes every picture and memory even better. We hope to be able to see you again when you return to Hawaii and take another tour on Oahu's 1st and still the best Doors Off Helicopter Tour right here at Genesis Aviation.