“Excellent budget option”
Review of The Plumeria

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Honolulu
The Plumeria
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Basically, if you are used to staying in hostels, you'll probably like the plumeria. It is a bit run-down, but the apartments are well-maintained and clean. My apartment was quiet; I just had one other person sharing the three bedroom apartment. I am a very light sleeper and found sleeping here ok. The walls weren't really thin, and although it's on a busy road, my bedroom was a few apartments in and I didn't find the noise annoying (although I did wear ear-plugs). The main photo for this page isn't the plumeria, I don't know where it's from. I just took some more accurate photos. Not sure about the review below, which talks about drug dealing. I didn't see anything like that and felt quite safe here.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Emma C
There are newer reviews for The Plumeria

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is basic, cheap, temporary housing. It is a step up from most hostels because you can get private rooms (with shared bath and shared kitchen), or private studio apartments (private room and bath, with microwave and small refrigerator). One studio has air conditioning.

There are some hoops to jump through - a deposit is charged at the time of booking and then when you check in you pay at least one week in advance in cash. When you check out your refund is given in a check. The office is only open 2 hours in the morning and two in the afternoon. Checking in late costs $10 extra. Parking is interesting - very tight quarters.

There are three buildings - all are rundown. They are two story apartments and it seems like the second floor is primarily short term rentals. Downstairs it looks pretty settled - in a rundown, cheap kind of way. You see the same run-down people sitting in the same run-down chairs in the same places every time you come and go.

Somebody claimed there were drug deals going on - I never saw it and I have a good radar for this stuff. Overall, I think it was safe and fairly clean.

The bed was ok, the fans worked, the windows had screens and the door locked. There was a working shower and good water pressure.

I wouldn't want to stay here long without a car - but it is very close to Safeway for groceries, and a Walmart isn't too far away. There are hostels that have better locations - but I don't think they have private rooms. If you don't mind sharing one of them is just two blocks from Waikiki Beach.

Hey, if I was paying for a hotel and got this place - I'd be ticked, and write a scathing review. But I got what I paid for... a no frills, safe, sleep.

(by the way, the photo used for this place is NOT correct. not close)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank joesindorf
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Pros: Very inexpensive, great location near the bus lines and the Ala Moana mall, a 20 minute walk to the beach, extremely helpful owners/managers.

Cons: Small rooms, very loud at night (near police station; thin walls), management not always on site, you take pot luck as far as your roommates go.

I stayed for a bit less than a week in January and ended up bailing early as my roommates had fights on two occasions in the wee hours. This was NOT management's fault and they were extremely apologetic and generous with my refund. I think it's still an excellent value for the adventurous, tight-fisted, flexible traveler with few expectations (read: college kid or similar). It's close to groceries, a thrift store, Starbucks (in the Safeway), and UPS shipping store. Adequately clean but the pillows were pretty flat. Overall, I was satisfied but not thrilled and would have been fine except for the fights.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ellen E
Reviewed January 17, 2013

And you don't pay a lot, so don't expect too much. However it is a good deal - especially for Hawaii. The staff is friendly and helpful - already a big plus. The place could be a little bit cleaner and there are a couple of maintenance issues - but overall I can recommend it for the location, for the friendliness of both staff and guests and for the unbeatable price. Don't forget to bring your own towels.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 4, 2012

The Plumeria management was very helpful and courteous. I booked a week in their hostel for the Honolulu marathon and I had to cancel my trip. They gave me over a 90% refund on two days notice. They also had prompt responses to my emails. Best travels for all.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Allen C
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Over priced, so so location and very dirty. For the price you pay you don't get much for your money. Smells and very dirty. Location is a 10 minute walk from Ala Moana mall which is good but would never stay here again. For the price you pay, if you can shop around you can find hotels more in the centre of town which are similar in price and that offer breakfast as part of the price.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Jamesl1982
Reviewed April 5, 2012

The reviews written by Laerissen, Borg V and kaye m are spot on. The Plumeria is what it says it is. You won't be disappointed if you are familiar with staying in hostels. Issues of cleanliness, noise and privacy depend a lot on the other guests that you share space with. I spent two weeks at Plumeria, sharing an apartment with four Swiss that had been there for two months. There were no problems. Every day, I either walked to the Ala Moana beach or took a bus somewhere like Pearl Harbor. It was great.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo