“Chinatown's best food along with fascinating history tour”

Hanai Tours - History & Food Tours
Ranked #14 of 26 Food & Drink in Honolulu
More attraction details
Owner description: Stroll through Chinatown and sample dishes at local eateries, markets, and restaurants while your guide recounts the events that shaped the area's history. Digital photographs and maps shown on a tablet computer.
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I live in Chinatown and just discovered this tour with several of my friends from work. The local restaurants brought out their best food and we were completely full by the end of the tour, even though it was only a tasting at each place. Ed's pictures/stories of times past added depth to the tour and made this a unique experience, even for those of us who had eaten at the restaurants before. He opened our eyes to see this place in new ways.

The tour circles around through Chinatown, and the restaurants are pretty close together, so it's not so much a hike but a stroll. Most of the sidewalks are covered with awnings that provide shade during the day.

For sure bring your good camera. We had only our phones, and the attached pictures do not do justice to the food. We completely forgot to take pictures of the buildings and places of interest along the way.

Drinks aren't included. If you want one, order right away so you have time to drink it/pay before the tour moves on. Downbeat in particular had some very interesting and tasty cocktails.

This is a tour local folks and visitors will enjoy.

1  Thank UrbanGirl808

Reviewed March 26, 2014

As a recent transplant to Honolulu I couldn't think of a better way to learn about the area. The tour guide Ed was engaging and informative, allowing us time to ask questions and savor the delicious foods. Personal favorites were the banana blossom salad while learning about the Vietnamese migrants to Hawaii. Ed gave anecdotes of the neighborhood's buildings as we walked from one location to another and tied the evolution of the area with the foods we were trying. Learning about the Chinatown quarantine and then going and standing at the border of it was powerful. A couple of locals in our group were also amazed at the history and learned a lot more than they were expecting to.

Highly recommended for both locals and tourists alike. I can't wait to try it again in a different neighborhood.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I grew up in Hawaii so many of the foods that we tried are well-known to locals - char sui bao, apple banana, li hing mui, (but still yummy - the char sui boa place is one of the best on the island). The real value add was the historical component of the tour. Ed seemed to know something about each building we walked by and had stories of well-known as well as more obscure historical figures. I thought I knew Hawaii’s history fairly well, but I was stunned when Ed showed us photos of the internment camps after the 1900 Chinatown fire on his tablet. I thought that only happened in WWII. Also really interesting was the stories about the brothels in WWII the "Honolulu Harlot." Ed participated in the effort to revitalize Chinatown, so I enjoyed his 'war stories.' Totally recommend the tour to both locals and visitors that want to learn something new.

1  Thank CHayashi2014