“What a pleasure!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Waikiki Beach Walk
Ranked #10 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed July 16, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed in a one-bedroom suite when we visited Waikiki Beach last weekend for his family reunion, and our entire stay was a treat, starting with the complimentary welcome cocktail as you check in. I found our room to be cool, clean, and comfortable, with a beautiful city view, mini fridge and microwave for our convenience, and even two flat screen TVs. The complimentary fresh cooked breakfast was wonderful every morning (the omelette station is a must), the pool was beautiful with a bar of yummy island cocktails, and the overall appearance of the hotel was lovely. The hotel is a very short walk from Waikiki Beach, and in the middle of a promenade of quality shopping, touristy shopping, and restaurants. Think Rodeo Drive, but with lit island torches. And the staff was very helpful and knowledgable of the area--they were able to make recommendations and get us transportation to wherever we needed to go, for a reasonable few dollars.

The only downside was the construction of the Trump tower next door, which provided a little noise, and a not so lovely visual from the pool, and some rooms. But otherwise, I would highly recommend the Embassy Suites for an island stay experience that is truly sweet.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank MochaRose
Write a ReviewReviews (3,655)

Reviewed July 13, 2008

This hotel was a wonderful place to stay while on vacation with my extended family. There were 14 people in all, and no one had a bad thing to say about the hotel. (VERY unusual, especially for my mother and I ... both hotel SNOBS!)

The rooms were clean and spacious. There was a small refrigerator, coffee maker, and a microwave.

The included breakfast was outstanding, probably the best one I have ever seen. There is everything you could possibly want to eat in the morning. Made to order omelette's, fresh fruit, breakfast potatoes, several assorted pastries, breakfast meats, etc. You can even sit outside in the sun which makes for a great start to the day.

The staff was extremely helpful in every way. The people in the gift shop/ store were so welcoming they treated us like we were family. They even learned some of our names. :-) Any staff we encountered or asked questions to were more than willing to give us help or opinions on activities, dining, etc.

The managers reception every night was awesome. For 2 hours, you could get free cocktails and snacks in the same area breakfast was served! (Right by the pool)

This hotel is not located right on the beach, however it was a short walk across the street and did not seem to bother anyone in our large group.

The location was wonderful. It was located right on the 'Beachwalk' where there are numerous great restaurants and wonderful shopping. Honestly, it was the perfect location on Waikiki.

If you get the chance, check out the Hula Grill. We had an excellent meal with great service, and the view of the ocean was incredible.

3  Thank BLove4444
Reviewed June 30, 2008

This is a very clean and new hotel. There was good noise insulation from the outside. Very quiet. Room looked over gorgeous pool area with balcony. Could see the ocean through the buildings and hear the nightly music and hoola dancers perform. We had a 2 bedroom suite for four kids and ourselves and it was perfect space for all. Buffet was yummy and fresh every morning. Strawberries dipped in chocolate were offered free every afternoon by the pool. Delivered personally by the head chef. Nice touch. Entertainment staff and pool staff were gracious and welcoming. Coctail hour was nice with snacks. My kids looked forward to the food everyday and helping themselves. Shopping was great nearby...beach was rocky...walk down further to use Waikikii Beach. Trump noise was not bad at all. Pool perfect for kids at only 4 ft at deepest with jacuzzi. Try a Lava Flow from the bar. Was great!
Clean, Comfy,Family Friendly, Fun and convenient to restaurants and entertainment. Could walk to everything from this location. Perfect for large family with kids like our. Have fun when you go here. Aloha!!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank hawaiinbound
Reviewed June 29, 2008

Our family of 6 just got back from a week's stay at the Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk. I'd rate it an 8 on a 10 scale. Vacation got off to a shaky start as we arrived at 11 am local time, but couldn't check in until 3. Our vacation package (Pleasant Hawaiian) included a welcome cocktail, but staff informed us that this was discontinued due to construction on the adjacent Trump Tower. Apparently, something about dust filters, which we felt was a lame excuse as no offer of exchange or compromise was made. We were also led to believe from our travel agent of a partial ocean view room, but this wasn't the case. Similar to other guest reviews, we were informed that we could upgrade for another $75 per night. We declined and accepted the 2 bedroom suite assigned to us in the Aloha tower. (The better ocean views appear to be in the Hula tower). The daily morning breakfast was fine for most of us and resulted in considerable savings in the meal expense category as this is included with your room rate. It was also a crack up watching the birds flying into the open air dining area to nibble on the guests' meals while they were at the beverage counter. (Hint: Best to get your drinks before finding a table). The nightly Managers Reception...eh...I only went one of the nights. The drinks are free and STRONG, but I'm not a big drinker. You should be able to get a good buzz if that's what you're looking for. They also have Hawaiian singers and dancers for your enjoyment, but only broccoli tips, celery, and greasy potato chips to nibble. Upon check in, you are issued a paper meal ticket, and we were strongly cautioned not to lose it, as they wouldn't be replaced. Funny thing is, the whole week we were there, nobody ever checked it.
We also had issues with the construction noise from the aforementioned Trump Towers. You'll likely hear frequent BOOMS! during the days and especially around the pool area which isn't sheltered from the ongoing construction . The hotel manager (Dan?) arranged for those in our party to walk over and enjoy the pool amenities of the nearby Reef Hotel. This made those in our party happy.
There are only two elevator shafts per tower, and sometimes this can be an issue even though the elevators seem to be high tech. Keep your key cards handy at all times. You'll need them to get to any of the floors going up or down, except for the lobby. This is likely in place to prevent freeloaders from entering the buffet or pool areas on the 4th floor. Soft drink machines are on alternate floors only. The 24 hr gym is small and stuffy, but has high end cardio machines with tv's attached. They also have a 24 hr laundry room that came in handy. The have reliable wireless internet in the lobby and on the 4th floor, but we had a devil of a time with the in-room ethernet. Advertised as 50x fast, but was often times slower than dial-up when we could connect at all. When we called about this, we were given the usual "server issue" response.
One of the days we asked the concierge to help us with renting a minivan. They tried two companies that they "partner" with but then sent us off to another hotel when we asked about Hertz. Episode illustrated to us that the concept of "Spirit of Aloha" gets a little fuzzier to define when a dollar isn't to be made or had.
All in all, it's hard to have a bad vacation in Hawaii. This was about my 10th time to Oahu. Many of the locals will tell you to go to the other islands to get the real taste of Hawaii, and I think I'll take their advice next time.
Cheers & Aloha!

4  Thank 707thecode
Reviewed June 25, 2008

7 of us stayed at the Embassy Suites for my mother in laws 60th. We had 2x2 bedroom suites and they were great. Always clean and a great size. Staff were very helpful and I dealt with most of them during our stay asking directions and recommendations. Food is hard for us Kiwi's to get used to. Not our usual breakfast but hubby made great use of the omelette chef. Yes there is construction going on as the new Trump Tower is being built next door but it never bothered me. I have kids and am used to switching off to loud noise. I liked the location and the fact it is not on the beach front did not bother me as we were going to Maui and only went swimming at Waikiki once since it is not exactly a great beach. I would definately return.

2  Thank nat148
Reviewed June 23, 2008

OK. I stayed here just last week and was here for 6 days. I came with my girlfriend and chose this because it was one of the most highly rated here that was available. This is my experience while checking in...
I got there and (because I'd read about the construction and also warned not to get a room next to elevators) I requested a room away from both. I was told that the only rooms with King beds was next to the elevator. I was also told that there were none with Kings away from contruction. I was given the option to pay an additional $50 per night to get a room with 2 beds on a high floor away from elevators and Trump construction. I was extremely annoyed because I felt like I was the victim of the old 'bait an switch'. It was terrible way to start a vacation. Nevertheless, i paid it because I'd rather pay more for peace than ruin my entire vacation. Once I got to the room , it had a wonderful view and the decor, etc. was nice.

This is the list of pros and cons based on my experience there...

Pros:
Location (right in the edge of Waikiki and you can get to just about anything on the beach from here)
Newness (the room was updated and modern)
Staff (friendly and courteous)
Business Center (Internet access..whoo hoo!)
Breakfast (the breakfast buffet is probably the most memorable thing about the hotel)
Managers Reception (can't go wrong with free drinks. the snacks were not that good but it WAS free)

Cons:
Pool (always crowded with wayyy too many kids. Can you consider an adults-only hour or two a day?? One day, a young girl threw up in the )
Location (the front of the hotel is on the Trump construction side and it's a pretty small narrow street. Some tour buses are not allowed down this street because they don't fit.)
Fitness room (This was small and while they DID have quite a few treadmills, it's inadequate for weighlifters)

Final thoughts: If you're looking for a hotel with lots of 'stuff' then this is the wrong place for you. The Hilton Waikiki Village has shops on th epremises and a private lake, etc. It seems to be more adult friendly. I've heard that they nickel and dime you to death and it's older and tackier. If the hotel for you is one that's clean, and provides a good home base so that you can explore the island. I'd recommend the Embassy Suites.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mark S
Reviewed June 18, 2008

Before I booked this place I knew 3 things from reading Trip Advisor:

1) Construction noise (thanks Donald)
2) Lots of kids
3) It ranked #5 in Honolulu, where there are about 8 million hotels

After having stayed there for 6 nights, I can confirm that there is in fact construction noise, a fair amount of kids (no big deal really) and it was a clean, nice hotel in a great location for a decent price. I paid $249/night AAA rate and I didn't feel overcharged at all.

A couple things to note:

1) If you select a room with a king-size bed you will be next to the elevators and they will annoy you all night long. We moved to a room with two double beds and while not our first choice it was much quieter and we were happy.

2) The construction noise is very real and very annoying. However, our second room was in the Aloha tower on the side away from the construction and noise was a non-issue after that. If you have a room on the side where the construction is happening it will probably bother you. Something to consider.
You will not, however, be able to escape the noise while at the pool. If you wait until 3pm to visit the pool you will avoid the noise.

3) I was unaware of the free breakfast when I booked the hotel and was very pleasantly surprised. The food was good and there was plenty to choose from. This is NOT the cheesy continental breakfast most US hotels offer. They also have a Manager's Reception each evening with free drinks and snacks.

4) Valet parking is mandatory and costs $25/day before tips. We were able to rent a car for the day for $38 and returned it that night. That might be a better solution if you're a cheapskate like me.

Overall the staff was friendly and helpful.

Suite setup is great and bathroom is quite large.

Location is great with plenty of shops & restaurants nearby and the beach is a 5 minute walk.

The ABC Store (2 right outside the hotel) will have everything you'll need at reasonable prices.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family and would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple