“The best Embassy Suites property in the portfolio”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Waikiki Beach Walk
Ranked #9 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The title of my review says it all :).

I have stayed at this hotel twice - each stay was six nights. Each stay was on an HHonors reward reservation. As an HHonors Gold, I have visited my fair share of Hilton family properties across the USA. Let me explain why I feel this is the best Embassy Suites you'll find:

- The service is top notch. Everyone, from the servers at breakfast, to the housekeeping staff, to the folks manning the evening reception, were all extremely friendly. The spirit of aloha is truly alive here. Outrigger runs this hotel under the Embassy Suites brand - so unlike the majority of Hilton properties they actually take customer service seriously :).

- The rooms themselves are excellent. I was comped an upgrade to a larger room on my most recent visit this past September after I submitted a request. The 2BR/2 bath suites are spacious and our suite was the perfect size for everyone traveling along - including 3 patio doors opening up to 2 different lanais!

- The morning breakfast and evening manager's reception were both excellent (and as mentioned above, the staff manning these events was exceptional). I guess if I had to find something to "complain" about, it'd be that I wish there would be hot food at the evening reception. But honestly, I was fine with the chips, goldfish, and pretzels to accompany my complimentary mai tai's and blue hawaiians! The breakfast is vastly superior to most Embassy Suties breakfasts you'll find, and blows away the standard Hampton breakfast. You'll find a rotating starch (pancakes, french toast, etc) in addition to the standard eggs, pineapple & other assorted fruit, sausage, bacon, omelettes, and full compliment of pastries and cereal. POG juice is available as well.

- Everything is very well maintained - saw several people painting railings and they had contractors replacing the carpet in the common areas of each floor. Granted, the hotel is relatively new (2007), but it's good to know that they are serious about upkeep.

- The location is right in the heart of Waikiki. Other than maybe the main Outrigger hotel, or the Sheraton, you will not find a better location. The mall is right across Lewers St, allowing you to gawk at the people dropping thousands of dollars on coach bags and rolex watches. Tons of dining options within walking distance... though the best restaurant on Waikiki (IMO), Roy's, is located in the Beachwalk complex right next to the Hula Tower's elevators. And since you are in Waikiki, you will see at least 3 different ABC stores from any exit to the hotel!

- My only real complaint is the parking, which is $30/day, valet only. Expensive, even for Waikiki standards. The upside is that rentals at HNL are dirt cheap ($8/day on hotwire for mine), so the overall price isn't obscene. And yeah, you will want a car, because any trip to Oahu isn't complete without at least a day or two visiting Kailua Beach Park or the north shore beaches!

To sum it up, you can't go wrong selecting this hotel for your vacation. I would not hesitate to give it my highest recommendation.

Room Tip: Hula tower is generally nicer - it will give you partial oceanviews from the side facing the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank sullim4

Reviewed October 29, 2011

I have been more than a few times to this area and as anyone will tell you, you get nothing for free in Waikiki. Well this location is about a half block (if even that) off of the beach, but it has a free buffet breakfast in the morning with the freshest pineapple every morning and also a wide variety of breakfast items. Oh did I say that was included.... also they have a free happy hour every day with beer and mai-tai’s along with some minor food. The room I have had both times here has looked over the beach area and also onto the pool area. Some of the sunsets I have had have been spectacular and have made the experience even better! Also located on the property to compliment the hotel is Roy’s restaurant that has great food to complete your day. And if you want more casual then you can walk down the street to one of many location places. However, my favorite is Duke’s that has a wonderful bar that is just feet away from the ocean and a view of Diamond Head. Just as a sticker shock issue, parking at this hotel and others in the Waikiki area is not cheap. Here it is now $30 a day valet, but it is as many in and out as you want. If you don’t plan on driving around the island then just get a shuttle or taxi to the hotel! ALOHA….. and enjoy!!

Room Tip: Try to stay in the ALOHA Tower as the rooms on that side are closest to the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank CM V
Reviewed October 28, 2011

We traveled to Honolulu for our wedding with our immediate family and it was important for us all to stay in close proximity. We stayed at the Trump and I booked a 1BR suite at the Embassy for my parents and brother for 7 nights. The location couldn't have been better. Embassy is located right next to the Trump and is about 3 minutes walk from one property to the other (you can cut through the Trump garage to get to the Embassy lobby). My in-laws stayed at Outrigger Reef which was also literally across the street from Embassy. Location wise everything worked out fabulously for us.

My mom has to watch her diet and eats frequent small meals so having a fridge and microwave was extremely important. The sitting room was nice so when my bro stayed up late to watch tv/ surf web, he was not disturbing my parents. My parents were happy with the free breakfast and manager's reception. The pool area on the 4th floor looked quite nice and was a good size. Sure, the room could use some upgrading but all in all it was a solid hotel that worked for my family. Would definitely recommend for families.

Room Tip: If you are staying for more than 3 days, park at the open parking lot directly across from the Trump...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank TxGirl_9
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Large two room suite in good condition
Good location close to beach and shops
Good service – request for room change handled promptly and efficiently – original room beside elevator, ice machine and maids quarters was too noisy
Excellent buffet breakfast included, Managers cocktail hour was hard to beat
Pool area in the shade for most of the day due to neighboring buildings

3  Thank bruce14

My husband and I spent a wonderful week in Waikiki. This was our 5th visit
to Oahu and 1st visit to Embassy Suites. We usually use the Hilton brand
hotels and this will be our #1 choice from now on coming back to the
Waikiki beach area. The room was the best,1 bed that was so dreamy, 2
TV's I got to watch what I like, a microwave and refrig, and the
housekeeper was very friendly (Carlita) and very professional and the
bathroom spotless. This was our relaxing vacation and having very good food
places near by was awesome. Roys, Yardhouse, BLT , Giovanni's, Hard Rock
lots of Starbucks. I am not a shopper but if you are, lots of them near
by. We had a vehicle and Valet group was fast and courteous. This hotel is
much better than the big Hotel, easy to get to your room and enjoy the
stay. Will be coming back when we get the time and money.
This was a 37th Anniversary present to each other and we are happy with our decision.Dawn

2  Thank FontanaDawn
Reviewed October 28, 2011

The lobby is open, airy, and the everyone was welcoming. We received our welcome drink as we checked in, neither getting the drink or the check-in took long. The walk to our room was even pleasant since the hallways we walked through were always open to the outdoors, usually at either end. Our room was excellent, it had a mini-fridge, sink, and microwave in the kitchen area. A desk, couch, flat screen TV (VIZIO 32") and a sliding door to the balcony. View from the balcony was awesome, we could see a lot of water. Asking for a high floor will get you great views, it looked like the lower floors may have their views blocked by other hotels. The breakfast was very good, they had food fit for eastern and western tastes (Omelets / Miso Soup, and lots more). Seating for the breakfast is all outdoors, and most of it is covered. The free happy hour (5:30 - 7:30) was also pretty good. Unlimited free drinks, not including the tip jars for the bartenders, and snack food. The drink menu included wine, tropical drinks, and standard mixed drinks. The snack food when we there was corn chips/salsa and goldfish the first day. The second day is was pretzels / potato chips / peanuts. Location was good for us. Easy walk to the beach, right next to shops/restaurants. It was nice to have something at that time. We took the embassy suites arranged airport shuttle back to HNL, it cost us $22 ($11/Person) plus tip. The cab we took to the hotel cost us somewhere in the $30's. If I were going back to Honolulu again I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
3  Thank marben
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Arrived at noon but the room would not be ready until 2:30-3:00pm which was not a big deal. Provided the whole family with a drink and locked up our luggage till we could check in. Came back to hotel a little after 2:30 pm. Was told we were upgraded to a partial ocean view room on the 20th floor on the Aloha tower. FYI, I am Hilton Gold. Asked if rooms were available on Hula tower as I had heard there was a better chance for water views and less noise. Was allowed to check out the room on the Aloha tower which was great, 20th floor facing Diamond Head and Waikiki beach. Chose the original room. Baggage was brought to our room. The entire staff was very friendly.
Free breakfast buffets every morning were what you would expect at an Embassy, good but not incredible. The highlight is the made to order omelettes which were incredible.
The manager's reception was great for adults as they served great drinks that were not watered down. The snacks were pretzels, peanuts, carrots and celery with ranch, and chips with either salsa or cheese dip. While at the pool on two consecutive nights we were given boogie boards by other guests that were checking out. We gave those boards to other guests on our last night.
Internet is available in rooms via ethernet cable. Wifi is available on the 4th floor which is pool\breakfast\manager's reception area.

Zero complaints with the Embassy and we will stay there again. Close to everything, friendly staff, and nice room that didn't feel cramped even with 5 people.

To view the fireworks on friday night set up viewing the bar near the pool or once it starts stand at the wall to get a better view.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family