“Great location, great service,”
Review of Hotel Renew

Hotel Renew
Ranked #17 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Vancouver, Canada
“Great location, great service,”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Hotel is half block away to beach. Close to the Zoo, aquarium and diamond head Hike. Staff were very helpful and happy. Staff were approachable and they are always willing to help. We loved the location as it was only half a block away from the beach and an ABC shop right next door. We had no trouble with our room at all as we were out all day and only went back to hotel to sleep. We had a king size bed and It was very comfortable. The house keeping did an excellent job everyday. The best part was the friendly staff and the free breakfast.

1 Thank Al C
Angeli F, Manager at Hotel Renew, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Aloha Al C,

Thank you for your generous review of Hotel Renew by Aston. We are glad to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience. Our location is definitely a plus, just steps away from beautiful Waikiki Beach. There is nothing like rolling out of bed and into the sun, sand and surf that beckons each day. Please rest assured that your kind comments will be shared with the entire management team and staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Renew by Aston in the near future.

Mahalo,

Angeli F.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Some of negative reviews I have read state that this place is to small, or does't have the best views. Well, let me state this, i was here last week, i stayed for 5 days. First off, the staff, amazing, extremely helpful, very welcoming, and friendly the the 5th degree. Second, amenities, you get a bed, you get a bathroom, you get a giant balcony (depending on the floor and side, you could get a great view of the ocean, as we did, you get a personal mini fridge, a coffee maker (with a complementary coffee starter pack), a well sized closet, a safe large enough for a few laptops, a comfortable chase lounge chair, color lcd tv with both free games and free movies from the lobby machine (think redbox but free), and most of all, you get to feel better about yourself knowing that just steps away from your building, at some of the other hotels, people have paid, double/triple/and beyond for rooms that server the same exact purpose. And that purpose? Well, lets see, your in hawaii, do you really want to talk about the inside of a hotel room? I sure don't, I didn't go to hawaii to stay in a hotel room, i went to experience the beaches, the restaurants, the snorkeling, the hikes, the attractions, etc, and I rented a hotel room to sleep in at night while I rested for my next adventure. So yes, these rooms aren't as giant as the hilton or Marriot, this hotel doesn't have its own pool (but with our 15 dollar a day amenity charge all we had to do was walk over to the Marriot and we had full access of their pools/towels/gym/hot tubs), but by spending a lot less money, and still getting an very comfortable room with impeccable staff service, i was not only able to enjoy my vacation more by having more funds for other activities but I was also able to relax more knowing that I didn't get ripped off in one of the most expensive tourist destinations on the planet. Would I come here again? In a heart beat. Would I recommend this place to my friends? Absolutely. Why only 4 stars then you might ask? Well the one thing I would have enjoyed, a bit more diversity in the FREE breakfast (muffins, fruits, breakfast baked goods).

Room Tip: choose a room above the 5th floor.
1 Thank Court-O-Milk
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I booked the Hotel Renew for the location and because it was recently renovated and managed by Aston. The best things about the hotel was the location and service. The hotel is only a few blocks from the beach and is closer to the Honolulu Zoo side of the Waikiki Strip. The service was friendly and attentive and the Happy Hour was fun. The biggest disappointment was the room. I paid for an ocean view and I could see the ocean several blocks away through several buildings. The room was very dark and depressing. I would dread going back to the room because of the ambience. I felt like was in a Hawaii jail cell but with a nice window to see the ocean. If you are only concerned about location then you might be ok with this hotel otherwise you might “renew” elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank travelmypassion
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We arrived to Honolulu around lunch time (prior to normal check in). But we stopped at the hotel first in hopes that they would have a room available early. They didn't. But we were able to drop our luggage off and get the check in process nearly finished. The staff were friendly, and we were offered juice and a towel immediately. The process was fairly quick and we were sent off on our way with the promise that we would receive a call as soon as our room was ready. We received a call around 2 (an hour prior to normal check in). From that point forward, the stay went downhill quickly.
The first room we were given smelled like it had been locked up for months! The room was so dark and dingy. It looked as if the room hadn't been dusted in quite some time. We called the front desk and were given a new room. The second room had a better view, but that was the only positive about the room. This room also smelled, was dark and dingy, and had not been dusted. We decided that another move would likely be useless. So we tried to settle in. Until we went to sit down on the bed and noticed a hair near the pillow. Then pulled back the covers to find two more hairs on the bed! We called down to the front desk and were told housekeeping would be sent to the room immediately. 20 minutes later we were greeted by two maintenance men who were there to change the sheets. Much to our disgust the men clutching the sheets in their hands smelled worse than the room. Not very comforting to watch these two toss sheets across the room and throw pillows to the floor- I can't imagine what the process is when there aren't guests there to watch them. There were stains throughout the room- on the walls, on the lampshades, on the window covers, on the door frames. Upon walking in the bathroom, we noticed mold on the sink and around the bathtub. The sink handle could not be touched without the entire faucet moving. The toilet made noise when the toilets in the above rooms were flushed. The A/C rattled the ENTIRE night.
The next morning, we went to check out as we had found a new hotel for the remainder of our stay. As we spoke with the manager, we were not greeted by any surprise- based on her reaction, I'd gather this happens fairly often. We also were not offered any apology. When we requested a refund of our money (as we were instructed by our third party seller) she outright refused. We then had to request a letter notifying said third party seller that we had to check out early because of the hotel condition, which she seemed frustrated by. She then wasted over 20 minutes typing up the two line letter.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AT THIS HOTEL! Motel 6 is just as nice and is much cheaper!!

• Stayed October 2013
5 Thank ash_ortiz
Rebecca D, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Renew, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Aloha- we were terribly sorry to learn about the negative experience you encountered while staying with us. We have shared these concerns with our Executive Housekeeper who will address the cleanliness challenges immediately. On behalf of the hotel, we sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations. Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your honest review. I look forward to corresponding with you soon. Sincerely, -Rebecca; Guest Services Coordinator
Murwillumbah, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We spent a week at Hotel Renew and were glad we chose this hotel for our second stay in Hawaii. All members of staff including check in, breakfast service and valet had impeccable manners and greeted us politely, happy to offer us any kind of assistance. Nothing was too much trouble. Hotel is located as the far east side of Waikiki, very close to the beach and a manageable walk to restaurants. Rooms were virtually sound proof with doors closed, we could go out on the balcony at night to take in the warm sea air and listen to the music coming from the Hula Grill next door. Breakfast was ample - juice, coffee, pastries, muffins, fresh fruit - it was enough to keep us going until lunch time. Was nice to be in a smaller hotel with less visitors and no children to be seen during our stay. Also stay was during my birthday and it was nice to come back from a day out to find a cheese platter and a well wishing note. Would definitely stay again.

1 Thank Cosmicgirl84
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I first stayed at Hotel Renew in October, 2011, and I wrote a stellar review of the property and its level of customer service here at Tripadvisor. Well, I returned this October (2013) to find that the Hotel was now run by Aston, something that was noticeable, unfortunately, in a negative way. While the staff and the level of customer service were still as great as I remembered them to be, what irked me was the new daily $15.00 resort fee, which really served an ugly reminder that the hotel was now part of a big-business, money-making endeavour. Back in 2011, I felt like Renew was a shining gem, a wonderfully kept secret, and that I, as a client, was among the privileged guests staying at what was then the 2nd ranked hotel in Honolulu on Tripadvisor. Fast-forward to 2013, and it doesn't surprise me that Renew's ranking has gone down. Back in 2011, it was the little things that Renew did so well that impressed me so much. But today those little things are overshadowed by the $15.00 resort fee and by the "by Aston" addition to the Hotel Renew signature. The hotel somehow became less special, more like every other hotel on the block, and, as a matter of course, the property lost its magic. And I'm not sure I would stay a third time because of this.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Linc9166
Sonora, Texas
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We spent three nights at the Hotel Renew in Honolulu and consider it a top notch little boutique hotel. We stayed in a king room on the ninth floor - very nice room with a great bed and wonderful view of Waikiki Beach. The only thing we missed having was a balcony, but for the money, it's definitely the best deal on Waikiki. Within walking distance of everything on Waikiki and a short walk to the bus stop and busses that can take you anywhere you want to go. The Hotel Renew also offered a quality breakfast with our room and took care of all our beach needs, i.e. towels, chairs, mats, etc. The staff and services were first-rate, and there were no surprises at checkout. We would stay there again if we ever make it back to Honolulu.

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle of the top floors facing the beach have a stunning view, just like the photo on...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple