“Small Euro feel with personality amidst the soulless corporate hoard!”
Review of Hotel Renew

Hotel Renew
Ranked #16 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
“Small Euro feel with personality amidst the soulless corporate hoard!”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I'm fortunate enough to spend a fairly good deal of time traveling for business and staying in hotels over much of the world - huge five stars in Asia, little 3 room B&Bs in the UK, small boutiques in Germany and I've come to a couple conclusions - what we Americans seem to create in our hotels is not an appealing space for real people to comfortably live while away from home but rather soulless lodging factories more suited for drones. The Hotel Renew is NOT that. This hotel is different - its a small-mid-size hotel that feels cool and modern but still an inviting place to come back to after a day of doing what you do. In one of the world's more touristy locations, that's really refreshing.

The hotel's layout and design don't follow the standard cookie cutter formulaic approach that the American chains take. The rooms, the lobby, the lounge/bfast room all have a modern and unique feel and the staff are friendly and helpful and pleasantly devoid of the parroty platitudes you get from the lodging factories. My room was kept in great shape by Tina and the valets did a great job handling my parking needs.

There is a decent little continental breakfast in the lounge included in the price to get the day started. In the evening, it becomes a cool little bar that's decently stocked and with great value cocktails. Behind the bar was Kasi, one of the best tenders around - great drinks, attentive, friendly, and cool conversation. Kasi is one of the touches that makes Renew unique and a cool place to stay.

To be clear, this is not a beach resort so if you're looking to have all of your entertainment, food, shopping, etc provided by the same people that provide your room, this may not be your place. But you dont need that on Oaho. Stay at Renew and with the extra few hundred per night saved over a resort, take a helicopter tour, rent a car and drive up to the north shore, watch or do some surfing, get some hot'n'spicy shrimp from Giovanni's truck and a shave ice from Matsumotos or Aokis, climb Diamond head, hike some incredible trails...then come back and hit Waikiki beach and Renew will provide you with some of the basic beach goodies like chairs, matts, and such and they are located a really short walk to the beach.

The beds are comfortable, the pillows perfect, toiletries nice, lighting cool, TV good. And the wifi is complimentary and fast. The only shortcoming worth mentioning (maybe) is the view from the city side rooms which is less than appealing. This is nowhere near a deal breaker for me but I know some people who weight a view very heavily - you'd probably want to pay the extra for a room on the beach side if that sounds like you.

All that said, what it boils down to is that I will stay at Renew again the next time I'm on Oahu.

Room Tip: If you need a view - pay a few xtra $$ and go for the ocean-view rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank msb64

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Manitoba
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We had a wonderful experience at this hotel. It has been completely renovated with a contempory look. Its location is perfect, right across from Waikiki Beach, shopping, great dining places and in walking distance of Diamond Head. The staff and owner I might add are awesome! Paul gave us a treasure hunt tour of the island which we took in a black convertible. Grace helped me book all of my tours and Kasi was the best bartender ever. Sharing with us some music experiences. "Dan" the owner even bought us a round. Where does that happen? We enjoyed our time at happy hour where we could meet other guests and share where we were all from across the world and get to know one another in a more quiet setting. There was a coffee machine and always fresh cold lemon water. Much appreciated. Felt spoiled having the door always opened for me. I would highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Recommend overlooking the Beach
3 Thank prairiegirl_7
Nelson Bay, Australia
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The best aspect of this motel was the position - at the end of the Waikiki Strip, The porters and cleaning staff were very pleasant but the reception staff bored, disinterested and quite frankly should not be in the industry . We were there 5 days so met most of them and not one that was even good. The motel itself is very dark and so are the rooms but it was at least very quiet.

Room Tip: If you ask for a view room ask for a higher floor
1 Thank Cathleen59
plouie, Manager at Hotel Renew, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Aloha Cathleen59,
Thank you for choosing Hotel Renew during your recent travels to Oahu.

I am thrilled to read that you did find our hotel location to be beneficial and some of the staff to be pleasant. I’m baffled to see that the front desk staff was not accommodating and helpful to your needs. Of all the positive reviews about our customer service, a quality in which we thrive on, I am disappointed to read pleasant and helpful interactions did not come your way.

I would like to extend my most sincere apology for the aforementioned event. Nonetheless, I do hope your time here on Oahu was filled with great and enjoyable memories.

Warmest Mahalo,
D. Sakakibara
New Plymouth, New Zealand
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights and found the location fine - 1 block to the beach which I did not have a problem with. I found the staff lovely and very helpful. There was a free breakfast and coffee, and there was always ice water available which was so refreshing after a day at the beach. The room was nice, and there was air conditioning which was good. Bed and pillows were very comfortable!

2 Thank Bern_Andy
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

A small friendly hotel, 50metres to the beach, tour bus and tram stop at hotel next door. At the quiet end of Waikiki with choice of beach locations for swimming. Plenty of cafe's and restaurants within a few minutes walk. A brilliant place to stay if you like to avoid the high rise blocks, and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank Hilary B
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed April 10, 2013

If you're wanting to stay within walking distance to Waikiki, this is a great hotel. It's just behind the hotels that are on waikiki beach. The hotel is small and we asked to move from our first room because it had a view of the parking lot/hostel next door. We were moved to a room with a better view but had to sleep in two queens (my husband and I) not exactly "romantic". It's nice that they lend you beach chairs and towels to take to the beach and, again, the locaiton is perfect!
I wouldn't stay here again but it was fine while we were there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MissesHlr
Auckland
Reviewed April 9, 2013

A smaller "boutique" hotel. We stayed here just as a change from the other beachfront hotels we had been in for the rest of our trip. It was clean, comfortable and had friendly helpful staff. However, we didn't think it was as special as some of the reviews had suggested.
The rooms were fine, but small, and the whole hotel was very dark. I think they kept light muted to try and make it feel relaxing, but it was a little too dark. I had to use my torch to see well enough to read at night!
There was quite a lot of street noise, which was strange for a hotel set back from the main road as we had not found it noisy in our previous hotel right on the beachfront!
Breakfast was complimentary but we only ate it once as it was just sweet pastries and muffins-not really our cup of tea first thing in the morning!
The best thing was their hospitality room which we used before our late flight out. It was great to be able to rest for an hour and have a shower before flying out, A fantastic service!
All in all, a nice hotel, but you could be in any small hotel in any city .If you want a taste of Hawaii, and a bit of character, then go somewhere else!

2 Thank KeriAuckland