“Very Enjoyable Stay”
Review of Hotel Renew

Hotel Renew
Ranked #17 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We loved the location of this hotel which is at the park end of Waikiki about 1 minute from the beach but still only a 5/10min walk to the centre of the strip. The hotel had complimentary beach towels and seats available from the front desk which we used regularly - a nice touch. If you want to get The Bus to Honolulu or Diamond Head there are plenty of lines just a short walk up the road but beware they can be very busy.

We booked an ocean view room which was exactly what we got. We could watch the glorious sunset from our room if we were not still on the beach. The room itself was small by US standards but perfectly adequate for two people who were out most of the day. The TV was huge, great to watch the surfing channel on. The bathroom was modern and clean if again a little small. There was a little fridge we could put some drinks in to keep them cool. We slept well.

While there is a complimentary breakfast it was all pastries which won't suit some but there are plenty of options within a short walking distance. I would have liked slightly stronger coffee as well. I had a great Mai Tai in the bar one evening.

The staff were all friendly and helpful. We would certainly consider staying here again if we are lucky enough to get back to Oah'u.

Room Tip: The Ocean View from the eight floor was great although it also over looks the pool/breakfast area of...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,305)

Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Renew for the first two nights of our trip to Oahu at the end of January (we moved to a beach rental on the windward for the remainder.) Prior to our arrival, it was suggested that we consider switching hotels to be a bit closer to the center of Waikiki. I am so glad we didn't heed that advice! The Renew was perfect in every way: price, size, location and service. The room was spacious and the bed was comfy. Service was friendly and attentive.

As for some of the negative comments:

-Noise: the street noise was indeed loud. I definitely heard the garbage trucks in the early morning but because of the jetlag coming from NYC, I was already up and didn't mind it. Perhaps, if you are sensitive to noise, you may want to bring ear plugs or consider a different hotel.

- Location: I'm not quite sure what people mean by the "seedy" area of Waikiki Beach. The hotel may be closer to the Burger King than Bvlgari but it is by no means in a less than desirable location. I for one like being a little more removed from the crowds.

- Breakfast: In the US, I never expect breakfast to be included with the daily rate. It was a pleasant surprise that the hotel provided coffee, juice and assorted pastries each morning. Were the pastries delicious? No, but they served a purpose.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Renew. I will take excellent service over a free breakfast any day!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank sunshine_d
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I will sum this up. Due to the issues listed below the hotel were willing to offer a refund as none of this was as described on the website. I liked the thought of a boutique theme, but in this case boutique hotel translate to quirks which are not in your favour and are generally annoying. As we couldn’t get a refund (we could by the hotel but since it went through hotels.com we couldn’t), we ended up paying for another hotel to simply get some sleep. This was a bit of an expense we had in the contingency fund, but when you add up the total spent, we could have stayed at the Royal Hawaiian and had a great time. Booking this hotel was a mistake.

Lets get it out in the open, the hotel is around the medium to lower end of the places in Honolulu and thats quite frankly what we were aiming for, something nice and clean, relatively new just to chill out in and generally spend our time at the beach, have dinner and come back for a sleep.

I chose this place over others around this price range because it has been renovated and it plays on the ‘Boutique’ thing. I’d not tried it before so I thought it would give it a shot. I know the area around there pretty well so I wasn’t concerned it would be a dodgy area. Having said that I do wish I had booked something else.

The air con unit. Now some people like a hot room. I grew up in a cold climate so if there is a chance for ice hanging off the windows, I am all up for that. Now the air con unit did work (when we got our room switched) but these units were from the 80’s. Despite doing up the hotel, they kept all the original air con units which means they are noisy, a bit like a leaf blower right beside the bed. Now I am a heavy sleeper, but I could sleep through these, even with ear plugs. So for the sake of the compromise, I slept in a hot room.

This isn’t the hotels fault, but the 4 surrounding hotels all have a loading bay and all the trash bins right next to the hotel. The Aston Waikiki, the Marriot which are near the beach and the one at the back. Now, this means reversing horns on all the lorries from about 5am. The trash does however get picked up at around 2-3am. This was made even more fun by a bathroom window above the trash area which didn’t close. It was one of those shutter windows. On top of that it didn’t have a blind so the street lamp outside shone in the room all night. And when the sun rose, it made the room nice and sunny. Perfect for wanting to get up at 5am which is exactly what you want to happen on holidays.

Now for the fun part. I did go down to reception at 3am on the first night as I had literally just got off a very long flight and wanted a sleep and tried to get moved to another room. The ‘lovely’ lady in reception said ok we can do that but its going to cost you $70 for an upgrade. Now, at this point, I would have sold my granny to get to sleep but out of principal I said no and would come down in the morning, when I could have some breakfast and mull over whether it would be worth trying to get a refund from hotels.com and moving to another place.

Which brings me to breakfast. As it said breakfast was included, I got excited. Throw me at a buffet breakfast or a continental and I am happy. I don’t ask for much, just some cereal, a piece of toast and some fruit, and maybe a cheeky Danish. However, when we got to breakfast there was 1 basket, a few cups and some orange juice. So, continental breakfast was......a Danish. And it wasn’t even a Danish. It was a white bun with some apple sauce in the middle. No cereal, no fruit, no bread for toast no nothing.

This hotel doesn’t have a pool, which I knew about and that didn’t bother me since I knew we were so close to the beach.

So all in all, the hotel did offer me a refund after the first night, it was however not possible to get one through hotels.com, so we made the most of our stay, with earplugs and Mai tais and eventually another hotel.

We basically paid close to $1000 to not sleep for 3 days and it didn’t involve any crazy clubs, excessive consumption of any beverages or a wild time. A hotel in a very unfortunate location was to blame.

The hotel has been done up very well but a few oversights in the planning mean it is noisier than some of the hostel in the area. Please save your money for another hotel.

Room Tip: None of them are quiet
8  Thank Paul L
plouie, Manager at Hotel Renew, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Paul L,
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts about your recent stay with us at Hotel Renew. I would like to extend my sincere apologies for your inconvenience you endured during your stay.

As you mentioned, we are indeed a boutique property featuring a rather Zen and soothing décor unlike the traditional aloha prints you would find at other properties. This type of hotel at times is not suited for everyone.

In regards to the air conditioner, I am not certain whether our staff was informed of the noise concern but should we have been aware of the situation, I assure you our team would have done everything possible to rectify the situation.

Being situated in Waikiki, there are many factors that are well beyond the control of anyone. Many travelers visit Waikiki expecting peace, quiet, and relaxation but are often surprised to realize how busy and congested it can be. Waikiki at times is simply a city that never sleeps.

December, January, and February are peak seasons for hotel accommodations here in Honolulu. Anytime there is a difference in room categories, it is expected that there would be a rate difference. Same concept applies for all types of businesses worldwide.

Once again, please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel and management. In spite of everything, I do hope that your time here on Oahu was still an enjoyable one. Thank you and Mahalo Nui Loa.

Warmest Aloha,
D. Sakakibara

Reviewed February 4, 2013

By far the best thing about this hotel is the staff. All were very friendly and willing to help. When we got there, we felt very welcomed. The staff were also very good at offering suggestions on trips and what prices to expect for taxis, tours & shuttles.
The hotel is located only a minute from the beach and it provides items like beach chairs and towels to make beach time pleasant.
The continental breakfast was what was to be expected. Usually a selection of 4 types of pastries, tea, coffee and juice. Iced lemon water was always available - nice touch.
The room was very dark but since we were seldom there, it didn't matter much. Enjoyed being able to have internet access included in price.

1  Thank Larry S
Reviewed February 3, 2013

First I'd like to say that the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Always had a smile and was eager to help. The room was very clean and up to date. I guess the best way to review this hotel is to list pro and cons.

Pros:
Super friendly staff
Nice location with lots of restrauants and shops within walking distance.
Fast parking valet attendents
Very clean and up to date, felt very upscale
Free continental breakfast

Cons:
Terrible view. Huge window to see side and tops of buildings
Room is DARK. I read this in a few other reviews and thought "Really? What a thing to complain about." Then after staying there I understand. With all lights on and bathroom door open, still the room looks dark and dreary. It definately didn't feel like Hawaii.
Bed is VERY firm. It felt like a feather filled mattress on a sheet of plywood, literally.
$25/day to park.

So overall I'd rate Hotel Renew average. It wasn't a bad experience by any means, but if I were to go back to Oahu, I would probably try someplace else.

1  Thank DEMCPITA
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Only stayed 1 night on the way home to Australia, but I can see why this hotel gets great reviews. They have definitely got great personal services with 5 star touches like cold lemongrass refreshing towels as well as a glass of fresh juice served to you at check in.

Great stylish, spacious rooms, free wifi, and friendly staff. It is a small hotel, which doesn't have that large resort style feel, however it has its own classy style, great modern rooms which isn't easy to find in Waikiki. Great Boutique Hotel in a good location close to the beach.

Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed here for two nights with family. This is a nice hotel for the money. Although the room wasn't really "roomy" (two double bed room), the room was very clean and modern. The hotel offers beach amenities for free to rent (although we didn't use it). The complimentary breakfast consisted of a few pastries, juice, and coffee...so a little slim. The staff is super friendly and offered juice and scented towel to freshen up upon arrival. Parking was $25 a night for valet (no self parking). There's no pool here which is a minus. The location isn't really "central" but close to a few things within walking distance. The location is also a plus since it is away from most of the activity at night (street performers and such). The beach is a block away but at the end where more of the homeless people hang out in Waikiki. There's a crib charge if you need one (I think it was $25 for the stay), but we didn't utilize it even though we could've used one. I would have no problem staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family