“Hidden gem in Waikiki”

Ranked #16 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Oahu, Hawaii
“Hidden gem in Waikiki”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Read the reviews for this hotel and was not dissappointed.
More boutique feel than anything. Location was great-beach was at end of street,ABC store next door,restaurants down the road .Free breakfast though.
The sticker shock was no surprise,it is Hawaii. No self or street parking-thats a bummer.Tiny staff,but very friendly.
I liked it and would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank NNewbie07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Friendly staff and eager to please. Rooms nicely appointed but already showing wear. Sheets were cheap, cold and continuously felt wet with cold humid air from the in-wall swamp cooler. If you closed your eyes, you would feel as though you were at s Motel 6. I checked out a day early as this was intollerable.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank BusinessSavvy808
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We just came back from Honolulu and I must say I have somewhat mixed feelings about this hotel. I want so badly to say I love it and I would be back every time here and all, but truth is, I probably won't. The hotel itself has been recently renovated, but it doesn't quite give the feel of a luxury hotel...i'm not sure if that makes sense, so i guess you would have to experience it to understand. The elevators clank, the air condition rattles and rumbles - not a lushous hotel, water leaked fr the faucet, but it's not bad - just above average. Maybe the professional photos of the hotel gave me false expectations and anticipations...plus, being ranked #5 on tripadvisor too may've made my expectations really high of the hotel itself - for the hotel itself, i would give it a strong 3 stars.
The customer service, however, is where this hotel is very strong at - I have never experienced such amazing customer service at a hotel - the staff were all super friendly. It was my boyfriend's birthday and everyone knew it was his birthday and was wishing him a happy birthday which I was amazed about. Valet was super fast and super friendly. Five stars for sure for the staff here at hotel renew - which averages out to 4 stars overall. I say I wouldn't stay here the next time I'm in Honolulu bc I do personally like a little more luxury in the hotel itself. But overall, a great hotel.

5 Thank Choonifer
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in mid-Sep for our honeymoon for 4 nights.

This is a small hotel with around 70 rooms, so it does not have a swimming pool, a restaurant nor a business center-so you are looking for a big resort feel this is not the place! However, you'll not miss any of the above: Waikiki beach and with its protected waters is 50 steps away, there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance+they serve a small continental breakfast from 7am (toast, muffins, croissants, yogurt, coffee & pineapple juice) and they have wi-fi in every room.

We got the King Ocean View room on the 6th floor. Our rooms was very clean and the bed is pretty big and comfy- but the room was a little bit cramped . And as others have observed, the next-door Aston hotel tends to get in the way of your ocean view -so do make sure you are on the upper floors. (6th and above). These are minor points- like us, if you plan to spend very little time indoors, you have nothing to much to worry.

Staff are very friendly and helpful- on learning it was our honeymoon they sent up champagne to our rooms.

One complaint is that there is no microwave oven available to the guests (not even in the kitchenette that serves breakfast in the lobby) , would be good if management addresses this-
we could not reheat our leftover chicken wings :(

2 Thank Bart1744
Auckland
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Renew for our first visit to Waikiki. The rooms are clean and modern with a generous bathroom and super comfy bed. We took a 9th floor room to take advantage of the view straight down to the beach which is a two minute walk away.

As the other reviews have said the staff are fantastic. We had a wobbly towel rail which we mentioned to reception and it was fixed by the time we were back in half an hour. They also helped out organising shuttles and making recommendations.

The wifi is great, fast and free. Take advantage of the included continental breakfast each morning as it's an easy way to get yourself fed before starting the day. It can be a scramble for seats but if you pick the time right it's easier. You can also borrow beach towels, chairs and mats from reception for the beach which is so handy.

A few things to have a think about when making your decision. The 9th floor sea view rooms do not have a balcony which I didn't think would be a problem but I did miss it. You can't actually see the view from the bed so basically you have to stand at the window to look out. It would have been really nice to sit out on a little balcony in the morning and evenings before heading out. This single factor would be a sticking point for us when deciding to stay here again (although value for money wise it's still excellent).

Also the hotel doesn't offer tea and coffee facilities. Just the like the balcony it's made quite clear in the room amenities but again in practice I missed being able to put a cuppa on! You can pay for a dodgy coffee from a machine in reception but a kettle and some tea bags would be nice. And there is no pool, you don't need it with the beach two minutes away for swimming. But without a balcony or a pool or external bar there was nowhere outside to sit so you were either out and about or tucked away inside the hotel missing out on the atmosphere.

The noise level in the hotel is great, super quiet, no inter-room noise. We did find our air conditioner in the room noisy though and it took a few nights to get used to it. And the hotel next to Hotel Renew serenades its poor guests with singing and dancing at breakfast, rain or shine which unfortunately means you also get sung awake at 7am every morning. Be warned!

Overall the hotel offered excellent value for money and was well appointed, nice and modern, unlike so many of the other ones we were looking at for the same price. The staff were a stand out. However do think about the boutique nature of the hotel and make sure you're happy with what you don't get in return for the benefits.

2 Thank LakeSmith
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had great service, and the staff was always helpful and responded to any issues. Each room has its own wifi hotspot, and the connection speed is great. Also, we had an amazing view from the 8th floor. The continental breakfast gets busy, so get there early if you want a table.

2 Thank schmevelyn
Kaikoura, New Zealand
Reviewed September 17, 2012

It took me ages to sit down and review the hotel, but I have to say, I think of Hawai´i every day since we left... and one of the reasons I do this is because I would like to help people in hesitate, when you go to Hawai´i you don´t wanna spend all the time you have dealing with hotel - problems, right? I was quite nervous before, but all my worries were just blown away.

Hotel Renew was great! I have to say it was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at and I have been in a few. We have had an upper floor, city view room, the hotel is really just steps from the beach so it is not a big deal not to stay in "beach front", because all the beach front hotels have the busy main street in front of them anyway!!! so it was quite nice to be not in the first row but still not far away. The hotel inside is new or renovated, however it´s really nice, no big hawaiian designs but just nice stylish room, HUGE and sooo comfy bed, nice bathroom and a small hallway with a wardrobe, there is a small drink fridge so you can put some fruit there or so too. The staff was friendly and helpfull, you can have some beach chairs and towels for free - it was great as people pay for hiring these on the beach like 50 $ a day... It was really quite, we have never heard anything from other rooms or so. The breakfast buffet is quite small but was enough for us but it is happening in the hotel lobby (the hotel is quite small compare to other ones in Hawai´i so there is no restaurant) and there is not enough chairs for all the people I would say, we were lucky to have a seat every time but I saw few people waiting for a bit. But as I saw the bigger hotels they even had a queue in front of the restaurants so than I thought this wasn´t so bad, some of these hotels are promising "take away breakfast" on the beach - but it is just because you actually have to take all you can before somebody else will do it and you go to find yourselves spot on the beach, because there is no room for you in the restaurant.

Hotel great value for the price, I would recommend it for sure, it´s for someone who likes a bit of a privacy and who likes to stay in a nice place on a holiday (for me it just makes the whole thing much better). It is not an empty luxury, you don´t pay the extra $$ for some chandelier or so, but you have all you need - I mean, you are mainly spending time outside anyway but you are gonna feel good inside too. I think for this money this is the gem, and BIG plus - it really looks just like on the internet websites pictures. We just had a great time, we loved Hawai´i, we traveled all around the Ohau Island but we liked just to stay on the Waikiki beach as well, it may be crowded for some people, but I think it´s not worse then when you live in Europe and go to Croatia for a holiday - I thought it is gonna be much worse, like more people, so I really liked it the way it was, the place - beach, main road - is alive but not annoying.

I would definitely stayed again, thank you all from the staff for helping us to have the best holiday time, Aloha from Barbora & Josef!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple