“Worth the bus ride” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #52 of 2,217 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Hawaiian, Pacific Rim
Good for: Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Located at Pier 38 in Honolulu, by day, Nico's offers harbor views and fast food seafood in open air dining room or outdoor lanai. At night, Nico's is a full service restaurant with harbor light views, a full bar and the freshest seafood in town. There is a fish market within that offers sashimi platters, a poke bar and fresh Hawaiian food daily.
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
“Worth the bus ride”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Our concierge at the Hilton Hawaiian Village told us that the best seafood restaurant in Honolulu was Nico's at Pier 38. We had already heard about this place as it was a Diners Drive-in's and Dives establishment. To echo another reviewer, the bus ride was definitely "interesting". When you get off the bus just head toward the ocean and you will find some warehouses and the piers are numbered. Nico's is of course on Pier 38. We arrived around 6:30 p.m. on a weeknight and it was very busy. We only had to wait a few minutes however to get a table for two. There is indoor and outdoor seating available. The atmosphere is very nice as there are a number of tables set up surrounding a fairly large bar area and a few televisions. We had checked the restaurants' web site earlier in the day and were anxious to try the swordfish only to find out that it was sold out before we got there. We started with the truffle fries as an appetizer. These were very tasty. My wife had the seared Ahi that was very very good. I had the special of the day which was a pork chop. It also was very very tasty. The restaurant itself was very clean, the service was excellent and the prices were average for the area. The area around the restaurant seemed a little sketchy and the walk from the west bound bus stop is across the street from the piers. Also, the "bus stop" for the east bound bus is nothing more than a bench along the street. There was no sign signifying that this was in fact a bus stop but we got lucky and guessed right as the bus stopped for us. I would highly recommend trying Nico's at Pier 38.

• 3 of 5 stars

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
“Have to trust your GPS on this one, but it is worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Asked the concierge for seafood places at the fish auction. He gave me a bus routing to Nico's and we started the 35 minute journey through 'interesting' neighbourhoods that provide deeper appreciation for life in HI. When we got off the bus there were warehouses across the highway and some had fish logos so we walked in.

1st sign was the carpark was very full and as we got deeper in the complex restaurants started to appear. Nico's was right there (20 metres from the dock) and chocker and I assumed all of them were basically the same so we got a table outdoors looking at the working marina.

Food was very good, reasonably priced. Worth the trip, so load the GPS and go.

Visited June 2014
Atlanta, Ga
“The best food I ate in Honolulu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

We saw this restaurant a couple of years ago on "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives". My sister ate here last year when she was in Oahu. It was definately worth going to. You order your food at a counter and then are given a buzzer when it's ready. We both had the swordfish with squash (a side). It was terrific! The outside of the fish had a crispy little crunch to it and the inside was nice and moist. It had a nice, not strong fish taste. The peppercorn sauce was a very light sauce to spread on the fish (I just dipped my fish in it). We went during lunch and they were quite busy, but there were plenty of places to sit. The room has large open air windows so you feel as if you are on the porch (you can sit on the porch) with ceiling fans. The food was prepared quickly.
We would go here again, if we ever go back to Hawaii. If you get to Oahu, make sure you try Nico's out.

• 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Dawgette
Atlanta, Georgia
“A great lunch spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

I had two different locals recommend this restaurant, and I was not disappointed.

You order your food when you enter the restaurant, and then they give you a buzzer that tells you when your food is ready for pickup.

I had the fish burger which was delicious....two large patties on the burger. My wife had the fresh catch which was also really good.

There is plenty of seating, both inside and out along with ample parking. I would love to have a place like this close to home.

Seattle, Washington
“Really good fish!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

The fish here is great. Each time I have been to Oahu, I make a point to visit. It is right on the Honolulu harbor and each time I have eaten there I have been pleased. Just a word of warning if you are from the mainland. Rare Tuna here means RAW. I had to send my Rare (ie Cold) tuna back to be seared. Once that was done I was very pleased. From a 5 year old to a 40-something everyone in our family who ate here was pleased with the quantity, quality, portions and taste of the food. I also love that they offer a green salad in place of Mac salad. The location right on the harbor with the restaurant opening up to the boats makes for nice atmosphere.