“Bring bug spray!”

and up
Manoa Waterfalls Run and Hike Tour
Ranked #21 of 335 things to do in Honolulu
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Take the #5 bus from Ala Moana Center to Manoa Valley. At the end of the line (@25 min), walk 1/4 mile uphill to the trailhead. It'll be a small gate on you right hand side before Lyon Arboretum. It's about 1.5 mile RT, which took about an hour because it was very muddy & slippery. I'd highly recommend shoes with good traction, altho I did see some people in regular flip flops & they seemed to survive without any broken bones. The mosquitos were killer, I forgot bug spray & paid dearly for it. The waterfall at the top didn't have much water when I did the hike, but the hike itself more than made up for it. There's a shop at the bottom with a bathroom, food & drink, etc.

2  Thank Shanaenignas
Write a ReviewReviews (3,026)
All reviews
in 40 reviews
"take your time"
in 46 reviews

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Was a long hike up hill the whole way, so worth it when you get to the top. Wear good shoes! Some mud and you have to climb up uneven stairs and over tree roots

1  Thank Erin102
Reviewed November 4, 2012

It's a nice hike back to the falls, I would rate it as easy to moderate. It's always great to get off the beaten path and see native Hawaii in it's unspoiled beauty. You'll like this one!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I enjoyed the bamboo fores., the waterfall, the sights but the walk itself can be treacherous. The rocks are covered with slippery red mud. Wear the right shoes & carry a walking stick.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I had never been so dirty in my life - both me and my hiking partner (that I met at the headtrail) fell. I had to run to the mall immediately after and bought new pants and shoes. We're both in our 20s and in group shape. The hike itself was enjoyable and the botanical varieties interesting - but then I like hiking in general. The waterfall was tiny even in a rainy and wet season. It is very accessible by bus, don't drive there. Visited in April 2009.