“lovely aqua palms” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #54 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Wales
“lovely aqua palms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2006

wonderful, cheap bargain hotel, right opposite Hilton village and beach, very clean, nicely decorated, and the lobby guys are incredibly helpful with anything from cheap taxis trips ect. Bargai hotel of Hawaii at the moment.....Go for it!

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank Lisacam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Tucson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2006

Of the three places we stayed at in Hawaii (two in Maui and the Aqua Palms) this place was my favorite! Ok, so I know it's got the cheesy Hawaiian decor, but TRUST me, when you get there you'll love it.

The bed was super comfy, the staff SUPER nice and helpful, and the view was great, too. We called the hotel after browsing online for the cheapest rate ($113/night for the studio superior at [--]) and the hotel matched it.

From our room we could see Diamond Head peaking out from the hotels and the ocean (not the beach, just the water) behind the Hilton. Our lanai was small but nice. Same with their pool.

We did find tiny ants on our night stand if we left food there, but it wasn't a problem at all, and I hear that happens everywhere in Waikiki. Overall, it was a great deal!

• Liked — The staff.
  • Disliked — Tiny ants.
  • Tips/Secrets — Skip the free breakfast, it's not worth it.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank flygurl814
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2006

I stayed at the Aqua Palms and Spa in September this year. The location is great, at the quieter end of Waikiki. Really close to the beach.

The staff are very friendly. The pool is a little small and the breakfast is basic however my room on the 11th floor was great. Comfortable bed, clean and modern bathroom with a good hairdryer. TV if you want to watch was fine. The Laundry room is also handy to have available at the hotel.

Recommendation: - If you don't want to take an organised tour of the Island take TheBus. It's a great system, you can buy a four day tourist pass or $20 or $2 a trip ( pick up a transfer if you get off). Also pick up a schedule from one of the buses or call their hotline to check bus numbers to different locations.

Over all I had a great experience

Stayed September 2006
3 Thank Vanessa_Cronie
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2006

The location, staff, cleanilness, facilities, beds, pool, spa, pillows, view, etc. were awesome! Walk to Wikiki beach, resturaunts, shopping, parks, museums, can't be beat for the price, absolutely not! Brand new everything in our room, we had a new microwave, little frig, coffee maker, oohhh everything was awesome! Great decorations, bus stop RIGHT out front, the staff were SO sweet... don't be discouraged by the hallways, or elevator, they spent their money on the rooms which is MUCH more important if you ask me.

I did laundry for a $1 a load. Coffee house on the corner that was great, Thai place nearby awesome, Todai near as well. Just an awesome location, walked to Wikiki beach in 5 minutes.

The only thing is the pool was on the small side, but who comes for the pool with an awesome beach nearby?? Went to the spa as well.. mmm.. awesome.. can't say enough. STAY HERE!

• Liked — Location and cleanliness.
  • Disliked — Loud outside.. but hence the location!
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure to ask for a newly redone room, I believe some where still old.
  • Stayed August 2006
5 Thank E-lizard
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2006

Staying at the Aqua Palms was an amazing experience!

We came for our honeymoon and were upgraded to the deluxe room which had a lovely lanai and a pretty decent view (we were on the 9th floor, so no view of Diamond Head, but we didn't care).

This was our first time in Hawaii and we were happy to see that all of the hotel staff were very very friendly and accomodating at all times.

The room was quiet and very clean, our bed was big and very comfortable, and the microwave and small refridgerator came in handy. We never heard any noise from other rooms and the only time we heard construction noise (they are doing construction across the street) was when we kept the door to the lanai open. Our room had it's own AC control so we could stay as cool as we needed to in our room, but the temperature in the hallways was pretty hot.

The elevators are quite slow, but there are three of them so we didn't have to wait too long to get on one at any point.

The free breakfast of danish, yogurt and juice was a nice touch and we liked the fact that we could either have it delivered to our room or take it "to go" on the days when we were heading out early for various island tours.

The pool was a bit small but we never used it because we preferred to go to the beach, which was a short walk away via the Hilton Hawaiian Village across the street (the lobby of that hotel has a lot of cool birds and fish, so it's definitely worth walking though). The front desk at Aqua Palms gave us free use of beach towels anytime we needed them, so that was a great bonus.

The 24-hour coffee shop next door had really great food which was dirt cheap (cheaper than McDonald's) and if you mentioned that you were staying at the Aqua Palms and showed them your room key, you would get an extra 10% off!

We never rented a car, so the bus system came in quite handy for us, it was affordable and it took us anywhere we needed to go.

Since the hotel is located a fair bit away from the heart of Waikiki, we were always either the very first or the very last hotel to get picked up and dropped off from for the various tours and fishing trips that we took (they all provided transportation to and from the hotel).

For those on a budget, there are coupons everywhere! Anywhere you go, you can pick up different brochures with coupons for food, tours and attractions, which come in very handy.

All in all, we would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Liked — Price, Friendly Staff, Very Clean and Comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Location was not ideal for pick-ups and drops offs for shuttles of tour companies
  • Tips/Secrets — Make use of the free beach towel service :)
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank toheavenlyhands
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2006

I enjoyed my stay at the Aqua Palms and Spa. For the cost it was well worth it! My room was kept clean, but yes there were some preexisting stains on the carpet and walls. But that is about my only complaint. Oh only other issue is the $15 a day parking but I knew that before I went so I didn't rent a car, I took thebus and that worked out well. $4.00 round trip and the routes run allover the island. There is a bus stop a few steps from the front door of the hotel
The bed was comfortable, view was nice, and I had a basic room...I could see to the Ocean. I also could see the construction. It didn't wake me, nor did I hear much of it untill the beach (see below about that) The breakfast was delivered each morning to my room, pastry, yogurt, and juice. And a paper was offered at the same time (not the Sunday) The room included a microwave,coffee maker, and small refg. They even washed my coffee mugs when they did the cleaning. The bathroom has the curved shower curtain rod to give a more spacious feel, and granite countertops. The shower was clean, hot, and the water pressure was good. The AC worked fine in my room, not too loud, the hall ways are warm.
The front desk staff was great, very friendly! The bell boys were super helpful!
The beach is a short walk, but if you want quiet on the beach away from the construction walk down a little bit further, as the noise it kind of annoying. The pool is on the second floor, quiet most of the time and only 4' deep at the deepest end. I didn't try any of the spa services, and it didn't look like they were very busy.

The hotel in general seemed clean, and they get a B for decor, this coming from an Interior Designer. I think they made a good effort at a resort look. Usually better decor = more costly accommodations, that being said...
I feel they found a good mix for an enjoyable reasonably priced stay. I would defiantly consider staying again.

• Liked — Cost, Breakfast, location, staff
  • Disliked — parking fees, 4' depth of pool, and stained carpet
  • Tips/Secrets — Take the bus! It's easy, goes everywhere and it is cheap!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
10 Thank justthetraveler
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2006

Nice comfortable clean place to stay. I was here to help my dad in the hospital so I just wanted an inexpensive room that didn't require driving into the heart of Waikiki. I had a queen bed with couch, room also had a lanai, frig and microwave. King size bed rooms don't have a lanai, just a small "juliet" balcony. Couch was a very nice touch, made for a fairly roomy room.

Clean, good A/C, parking lot does have tight ramps and turns but not as bad as the reviews make it sound. All day coffee and tea in the lobby is a nice touch, I didn't try the room service delivery of continental breakfast. Pool is a joke, so small with very few lounge chairs. Much better to cross the street and hit the beach at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

For the price (under $100) I thought it was great. I wouldn't pay more than that - for over $100 I expect a real pool and poolside service and outdoors restaurant.

Nice short walk to Ala Moana Center, with great shopping, and restaurants where locals go, not just tourists.

Wireless only in the lobby, ethernet connection in the rooms.

• Liked — price, comfortable room
  • Disliked — small pool and deck, no restaurant
  • Tips/Secrets — search for the cheapest rate