“Average”

Ranked #57 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Kew
“Average”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I used to use this place every time I was in Hawaii.

I'm thinking I'll change.

Rooms are spacious in comparison to many in Waikiki. Location is good for a 10 minute walk to the Ala Moana Mall. But it has dropped a couple of the more personal touches and is now just pretty bland. Prices also not particularly cheap.

OK but not excited anymore.

Room Tip: Try for a higher room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Aloha Clare L.

Mahalo for taking the time to share your recent stay at the Aqua Palms Waikiki.

I'm disappointed to hear that you are thinking about where you stay when you stay in Waikiki!

Please don't hesitate to contact me and let me know what personal touches seem to have gone. It is extremely important to me to have guest feedback so we know where we can improve.

All of the staff and management hope you were able to take home fond memories of your stay in Waikiki and will give us another opportunity to regain your valued patronage.

Patty Maher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oakland, California
Reviewed March 15, 2013

But wait there is more: At the quieter end of Waikiki (a relative term) this is a medium size hotel that tries harder. Accomodating staff from top to bottom, they make your stay pleasant. Lots of city buses, trolleys, tour buses stop right in fromt of the hotel. Close to the Ala Moana Shopping Center and across the street from the Hawaiin Hilton Village. No in room wifi but fast wifi in lobby.Excellent free coffee in the lobby. You are near the widest beach in Waikiki.
The came with a view of Diamond head and a truncated ocean view. The bed could have used a newer mattress and the sofa was dated. Still we enjoyed our lanai and the rest of the amenities. The pool is small but there is a good coin op laundry. 55inch flat screen in room and free daily paper in lobby. A great spot to enjoy Waikiki and the fabulous museums and historic buildings of Honolulu.

Room Tip: Go for 6th or above partial ocean and/or Diamond Head views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Aloha Bill K:

Mahalo for writing about your stay at the Aqua Palms Waikiki.

You have summed up our location and the property quite well. Wi-fi is in the process of being installed in all of the rooms and should be available for guest use mid to late April.

Property upgrades will be happening throughout the year, including corridor carpeting, lobby upgrades and room renovations.

All of the staff and management hope you were able to take home fond memories of your stay in Waikiki and in particular the Aqua Palms. We look forward to serving you again on a return visit!

Victoria
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We returned to the Aqua Palms for our second visit and appreciated it just as much as we did on our first visit. We were instantly made to feel welcome and our return patronage very much appreciated. The box of chocolates provided to returning guests was a lovely touch as a welcome gift and the upgrade to the same room as we had enjoyed on our previous visit was an unexpected surprise.

Once again, we enjoyed many of the special touches that make this boutique hotel stand out from the others and the location at the quieter end of Waikiki and close to the best beach area works well for us. There are many great restaurants and small grocery store within easy walking distance and the hustle and bustle of central Waikiki is a pleasant stroll away.

We're hoping we have the opportunity to return our Hawaiian home away from home, the Aqua Palms, again this year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VictoriaBlu
Aloha VictoriaBlu:

It is always a pleasure to have repeat guests and I'm glad that you feel as if you were at your home away from home.

All of our staff do everything possible to ensure all of our guests enjoy their stay and especially like to go out of their way for returning visitors.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Plymouth, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed on the 9th floor, we had a balcony and enjoyed our stay. The rooms were clean, very nice. The staff was friendly and helpful. They even had a bottle opener for us to borrow so we could open a couple Kona Beers to enjoy on our balcony. The traffic is crazy on the street by the hotel, but it didn't bother us. It was a reasonable place to stay, only a 10 minute walk to the beach. Would definately stay here again!

Room Tip: High up, with a balcony is best. It's quieter!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Aloha Mel E.

Mahalo for sharing your recent experience at the Aqua Palms Waikiki.

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to serving you again on a return visit.

San Diego
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I find this hotel and chain to be the best in Hawaii. The location, the Staff, and the cleanliness are among the finest that I have experienced. I would not consider staying elsewhere. You are within walking distance of Waikiki as well as the Ala Moana Shopping center. Public transportation is right at the front door.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Aloha dbloss:

Mahalo for your kind review.

I'm delighted to hear that you not only enjoyed the Aqua Palms at Waikiki but that you endorsed the Aqua Hospitality Brand!

We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again on a return visit!

San Diego, California
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I never know if I should rate a hotel based on its star rating or in comparison to a hotel with a higher star rating. Somehow it seems rather unfair to compare an apple to an orange, so note that I am rating this hotel in comparison to what I would expect from a 21/2-3 star hotel. That being said, there were definitely some issues that you will want to consider while you are looking for a place to stay.
These are the cons:
1) Firstly, my room had a "city" view and the street noise was rather loud. One morning there was some sort of race going down Ala Moana Blvd starting at 5 am so there was a lot of loud cheering. There seems to be no noise insulation at all. Luckily, I was already awake because I was still on California time. I am personally not sensitive to noise, but in reading many hotel reviews over the years I recognize that some people are very sensitive and will want to consider this.
2) Also, my room did not have a balcony, more of a 1 foot ledge. Although I noticed the room next door to me did. If this is important to you, make sure you book a room with this option.
3) The pool is small and shallow (3-4ft), so if you like a nice pool, you may want to look elsewhere. However, why would you want a nice pool when there are beautiful beaches all around you?
4) The hotel restaurant is an IHOP. I am not a huge fan of IHOP food, so this was a con for me, but do note the location is great and there are plenty of other places to eat.
5) Finally, the rooms are somewhat outdated, but not horribly so.

Now to the pros… I will honestly say there were definitely more pros than cons.
1) Price -Although this hotel may not be cheap compared to other locations in the US, for Waikiki it is very affordable. I was here for work and since I work for a non-profit the budget was tight. This was the only hotel within this price range in Waikiki that did not have horrible reviews with multiple complaints.
2) The staff was very kind and helpful and everyone always had a smile and was willing to help in any way they could.
3) The rooms were clean and well kept.
4) The hotel has beach towels and beach chairs for guest use.
5) There is parking available (con is that parking cost $20/night).
6) The location is terrific. You can walk to Ala Moana and to the main strip in Waikiki. The Beach is close by as well. The location for this price is an outstanding value.
7) There was a refrigerator, microwave and safe in the room.
8) There is an affordable restaurant on site (but as stated above it is IHOP).
9) Rooms are good size.

You can see, the pros outweigh the cons. Most of the cons were not even cons for me personally. For a 21/2-3 star hotel this is a good buy in my opinion. If I had reason to stay in Honolulu in the future, I would definitely stay here. This is my third visit to HI, but my first time staying in Honolulu because I was here for work (for vacation we've stayed in Lanikai). But if you are looking for a place to stay where you can be part of the action in the heart of Waikiki I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: Pay for Ocean View if you can.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sumla0509
Aloha Sumla0509:

Mahalo for sharing your recent stay at the Aqua Palms.

I'm delighted to hear that the pro's outweighed the cons!

Room renovations will be started by the end of the year. Corridor carpeting will be replaced and lobby will be redone as well.

It is great to hear that you were treated with the True Aloha Spirit for which we are known.

All of the staff and management look forward to serving you again on a return visit!

Chilliwack
Reviewed March 10, 2013

we booked the room for double occupancy, instead of two beds,there was one bed and one musty old sofa bed. they said basicilly too bad.so here is a warning for ohers.
otherwise tbe bathroom was clean and location was pretty good.

• Stayed March 2013
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Aloha Susankb:

Mahalo for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Aqua Palms.

I'm disappointed to hear that you were uncomfortable on the sofabed. Bedding is on request and we do all possible to honor everyone's request and I apologize we were not able to accommodate your durig your stay.

All of the staff and managerment hope you were able to take home fond memories of your stay in Waikiki and will give us another opportunity to regain your valued patronage.