“Not v. impressed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #54 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Canada
“Not v. impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

When we arrived at hotel at 12 p.m. we did not expect to check in. We were told to come back at 3 for that is when the check in is promised. Didn't happen...had to wait til 4 p.m. Upgraded to a corner room as it was billed as larger....it was, but no real balcony as our room opens to the pool surround literally on our door....hard to keep curtains and doors open as no privacy. I would have preferred a room with an actual private balcony higher up...we were stuck on 2nd floor. The curtains on the doors are ripped and v. dirty...sheers are not that expensive to replace....the entire place is showing its' age and is run down at the heels. Front staff did not inform of the manager's recept. that evening...we had to ask; front staff did not inform that breakfast was included with the rate....we had to ask....overall a disappointment for us. Why so many hotels persist in having carpet in rooms is beyond me....go with tile folks.

Room Tip: You pay for what you get; talked to people in laundry room who use this as a timeshare spot....my f...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Aloha Georgina T:

Mahalo for sharing your recent experience at the Aqua Palms Waikiki.

I'm disappointed to hear that we did not live up to your expectations.

Communication is key with our guests and it appears that this didn't happen during your stay. I will address your comments and concerns with our front office staff to ensure better communication.

Renovations and upgrading of the property are scheduled to take place this year and I'm pleased to say that we are looking at hardward floors in all of the units.

All of the staff and management of the Aqua Palms Waikiki hope you were able to take home fond memories of your stay in Waikiki and will afford us another opportunity to serve you.

With Warmest aloha,

Patty Maher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Torrance, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

We recently stayed at the Aqua Palms during Pro Bowl weekend - first off, we appreciated the rate that was offered despite the ability to hike prices way up due to the high demand of the sporting event. We were greeted with the aloha spirit even though it was close to 10pm when we were checking in. Our room was a standard room - we didn't need much space and the housekeeping staff was great! They even left a handwritten note one morning which I appreciated upon my return to my room. Previous reviews about the dated decor remain true however I was more concerned about cleanliness than whether we had state of the art technologies etc. The bathroom was clean and I was really happy to see the shower curtain wasn't dirty or moldy! What I was also thankful for was the gated parking structure - this enabled me to feel secure knowing that my car and belongings were safe (or safer than if we had parked in an open structure). I also enjoyed the proximity to everything - there was a block party on Kalakaua that we were able to walk to - very convenient. Also, I loved that it was so close to Wailana's!

A couple downsides (that didn't hinder our stay but just for a head's up for future visitors) were the slight confusion regarding accessing the parking structure prior to check-in. Since it is gated, you need a hotel key to access the structure and there was only a small driveway in front of the hotel that you can park while you check-in. I imagine if you're checking in during the day, the traffic would be troublesome however, since we were checking in late, this wasn't a problem. Also, if a the view is a priority for you, be sure to double check with the front desk that your room has one. The rooms on either side of ours had full balconies with lounge chairs but ours had 2 very narrow (could only fit one person) balconies which was separated by a huge wall in the middle of the doors. Again, as this wasn't of importance to us, we weren't bothered by it.

I do want to point out the excellent service of the management staff. A couple days after I arrived home, I received a survey requesting my feedback. I made a comment about the complimentary lotion provided by the hotel in the bathroom and how it was so fragrant and continued to remind me of Hawaii now that I was back home. I had hoped it was available for purchase so I put a call into the general manager, Patty Maher, to inquire if this was an option however Patty had read my feedback and offered to send me a couple at no cost - that it was her pleasure to do so! This kind of service is exactly what comes to mind when I think of "Aloha Spirit" and Patty went way above and beyond my expectations! I would definitely recommend the Palms for a future stay!!

2 Thank sc831
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Aloha Sc831:

Mahalo for sharing your recent experience at the Aqua Palms Waikiki!

I hope your package of lotions arrived safetly and that you are enjoying them and thinking of your stay with us every time you use them!

I'm pleased to say that we are working on room renovations and hope to have the rooms, lobby and corridors renovated by the end of 2013.

All of the staff and management look forward to serving you again on a return visit!

Santa Rosa, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Aqua Palms Waikiki because I had to attend a conference in Waikiki. The hotel was very comfortable, clean, and conveniently located. We walked everywhere! The staff was friendly and accommodating. My only negative comment is that there wasn't any wifi access in the rooms but none of the hotels in the area offered in room wifi. We had to go to the lobby to access the wifi. However, this hotel did have free internet access in the rooms. All other hotels in the area charge for internet access.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 10th floor and we had a great view. However, our room faced the street; which i...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Aloha Andrade6264:

Mahalo for sharing your recent experience at the Aqua Palms Waikiki.

I'm pleased to say that we are currently working on installing wi-fi in all of our rooms and hope to be complete by the end of March.

All internet access will continue to be free to our hotel guests.

All of the staff and management hope you were able to take home fond memories of your stay in Waikiki and will afford us another opportunity to serve you!

Flora, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Had stayed at the Aqua Palms Waikiki Hotel in 2012 and on our return vist before and after going on a cruise in Jan. 2013 and Feb. 2013. Still Recommend this hotel as an excellent value. While the decor could stand to be updated, the rooms are very clean and comfortable and the beds are one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have experienced. The staff at the Palms are a real plus as everyone I meet who worked here truly had the "Aloha" spirit and were extremely helpful. The staff gives them a genuine plus over other hotels. From the registration desk to the house keeping staff they are what makes this hotel a very good choice. I recommend what they call the partial ocean view rooms on the upper floors. Hve stayed on the 9th, 10th & 11th floors.

The hotel is just across the street from the Hilton Hawaiian Village so it is a very easy walk to the beach. The Palms provides beach towels. It is also a trolly stop and very close to a stop for The Bus (Honolulu bus line).

Would most defintiely stay here again.

2 Thank TJ H
Aloha TJH:

Mahalo for writing a review regarding your recent stay at the Aqua Palms Waikiki!

It is always a pleasure to see repeat guest! I'm delighted to hear that our team members treated you with the "True Aloha Spirit" for which we are known.

We hope you enjoyed your cruise and look forward to serving you again on a return trip.

Launceston, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed here with two girlfriends for 3 nights. We booked a twin share room. We paid an extra amount per night in 'bedding expenses' for the third person. We assumed this meant we would get a roll out bed or cot for the third person. We were wrong. We had two good sized queen beds but two of us had to share. I was a bit miffed as it appeared we paid extra for nothing extra (apart from an extra towel). Only other gripe is that there is only wifi in the lobby - not the rooms.

Having said that though, I cant recommend the staff enough. They were great. Always cheery and happy to help. The rooms (even though small - especially the bathroom) were exceptionally clean. The hotel was a 10 minute walk to the Ala Moana shopping centre and the end of Waikiki beach. A few restaurants within walking distance, but probably best to catch a bus to get to the main Waikiki strip. Even though I was grumpy about the sleeping arrangements I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sarey86
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Aloha Saray86:

Mahalo for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Aqua Palms Waikiki.

Rates for the rooms are based on double occupancy and there is an extra charge for a third person. I'm sorry that there wasn't three beds as you would have preferred but due to fire regulations a third bed isn't allowed and wouldn't fit.

Wi-fi access is coming to the rooms shortly. We are currently working on installation and hope to have this complete by the end of March.

I hope you enjoyed your girls vacation and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

This Hotel offers outstanding service & value. By far & away at the lower end of the Waikiki market the owners are cleverly investing in the things that matter such as top service, superb cleanliness, and most importantly - excellent beds! The decor in the rooms & particularly the corridors is very dated however at the low tariff being charged by Waikiki standards you would expect nothing else. The bathrooms have been more than adequately renovated at some stage, AIRCON is ducted & works well albeit quite noisily & by European standards the rooms are a good size. Other reviewers have more than covered the very convenient locational aspects & I would concur with others in that if traffic noise is an issue for you -ask for a room on the city side. The Hotel is located on the Western or city side of Ala Moana Blvd - so the East facing Diamond Head view rooms face the street. I had a room on the top floor city side for 5 nights & it couldn't have been quieter apart from the inevitable sirens & occasional garbage truck! Unless you were specifically wanting to stay on the beach I would save my money & stay here!

Room Tip: City side high up
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Will C
Aloha Will C:

Mahalo for the great review!

Yes, I agree we are starting to show our age but we are in the middle of working on design concepts to upgrade the rooms, corridors and lobby and hope to have all complete by end of 2013.

Please come back and see the new look once done!

Fairfield, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I recently stayed at the Aqua Palms for 6 nights January 27 2013 to Febuary 2 2013. We had the partial ocean view room. I arrived to Aqua Palms with Friendly and helpful staff. My room was ready within minutes of my arrival. Prior to my stay I had asked the staff if they could possibly have champagne in my room for me and my significant other. When I arrived in my room I was so surprised to see a bottle of champagne two wine glasses, card and a box of chocolates. Although my GF probably almost freaked thinking I was going to propose or something :). Room was clean and our room was cleaned everyday right after we left for our outings. As stated in other reviews shower lighting is a bit dark, but I wasn't in Hawaii to spend my time in the shower. We were facing the street side it's busy and was a tad bit noisy but didn't bother us we slept with sliding glass door open ever night. Didn't bring our I pad so don't know about Internet. Pool was very clean and they had a BBQ grill at pool. That while looking out my balcony one day I saw the Aqua Palms staff light the grill up so the guest could Q up some steaks which you know us guys that like to Q that looked like a vacation it's self. The only thing that the Pool was missing was a Spa which would have been cool to relax in maybe a evening or two, and it wasn't fair looking across the way seeing guest at the Hilton village chill in the Hot tub lol. The gym was a bit small equipment could be updated but hey I'm a guy who like to lift weights so of course in going to complain about that. Great location you have tones of restaurants to choose from within walking distance. We didn't feel once we got there we didn't need to rent a car after all and right across the street you can rent cars, jeeps , scooters which is right next to KOBE steakhouse. You have I hop right next door to Hotel after that a Decent coffee and breakfast house around the corner from that a ABC store. On the other side of the hotel u have a chinese buffet and down the street from that u have some more restaurant. The trolley stops right in front of hotel the pink line you can ride for two bucks, which will take you to all the shopping u lady's can imagine. The beach is about a 7 to 10minute walk depending if u catch the crosswalk light at the right time. The city bus also stops at the hotel if you want to travel further or you can pretty much catch any Trolley in front of Hotel. Ok Hotel has no bells and whistles but a clean hotel is always good which the staff did meet. Would I stay here again certainly yes but if you have a High maintaince GF like myself probably not going to work out on our next visit. Don't let that scare you away because I would recommend this Hotel to Friends and Family. Well I think I covered almost everything, Thank you Aqua Palms for my Excellent Stay

2 Thank Andre B
Aloha Andre B:

What a nice detailed review. Not only of the hotel but the surrounding areas as well.

It is great to hear that you would stay with us again and we look forward to your return!