“Worst experience ever!”

Ranked #55 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Tulsa, OK
“Worst experience ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

My two children and I traveled to Oahu for the first time for family vacation. Upon arriving, we were met with a strange smelling hotel that appeared clean. On the second day, my son and I became ill with stomach flu. The hotel staff were unwilling to assist us when I asked for help. I was unwilling to send my daughter to the store on her own -- she was quite uncomfortable with the number of homeless people around the hotel -- to get Gatorade for my severely dehydrated son. The hotel staff's response was "we don't do that."

Beyond this experience, there was NO wireless internet in the room, the air conditioning was POOR -- either hot or freezing! Beds and pillows were terribly uncomfortable! Room cleaning was half done -- making the bed and new towels only, nothing was cleaned. The street sounds made me think I was in the middle of Manhattan -- horns blaring, trash collection trucks, even people talking!

I will never stay in an Aqua property again!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Aloha Rebeka G:

I'm sorry to hear that your family got the flu while visiting with us! It is never fun to be sick, let alone while on vacation!

In reviewing your account, the notes indicated that you requested the staff to go to a pharmacy to pick up medication. Unfortunately, due to liability reasons we are unable to do that. If we had known that it was for Gatorade, we would have been happy to accommodate that request.

I hope this finds you and your family feeling better.

Hope you have a Happy Healthy New Year!

Patty Maher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband and me have been to the Aqua Palms several times and always had a great experience. Our most recent stay was over New Year's, and we had the most amazing room on the top floor, with a separate bedroom, big bathroom, two lanais, and a kitchen. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, and they've always done their best to fulfill our requests (such as a room on a high floor).
Aside from the perfect room we were lucky enough to get for our last stay, the rooms in general are very nice and comfortable as well, and from the upper floors you can get a great view of Waikiki and Diamond Head. The hotel is located in walking distance to Ala Moana shopping center and there are lots of places to eat and shop nearby. For the price, this is definitely a great place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha Schnupper:

WOW! A many time returnee! Thanks for staying with us! I'm delighted to see that we were able to upgrade you to a one bedroom suite on this last visit!

Please be sure to contact me the next time you stay with us, I would love to be able to say "Aloha" in person!

Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We went as a family from Illinois to visit 3 colleges for my son. Wanted to stay somewhere nice, but reasonable for our budget. This was the perfect place. Reasonably priced, clean, nice central location and friendly staff. I read the complaints from others about the slow elevators, but didn't notice that at all. We never had to wait. Also, some complained about the city noises- didn't bother us at all! I would definitely stay there again if we go back!

• Stayed January 2013
Aloha Barb L:

Mahalo for sharing your recent experience at the Aqua Palms Waikiki!

I hope you were able to enjoy the college visits for your son. What a great place to go to school!

Did you feel like you back home in the windy city with our blustery weather we have been having?

Best of luck to your son on his college search!

All of the staff and management look forward to serving you again on a return visit!

Angoon, Alaska, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I went down for my sisters wedding, I booked this hotel through wedding destinations. When I arrived everyone was so nice. The check in was smooth, and they were really helpful! The room was a little small but I was hardly in the room anyway, just for sleeping!! Delia was our housekeeper and she was awesome! I hope to stay at Aqua Palms again, if not one of their sister hotels. When they cleaned our room on Christmas, there was an ornament that was left and a card signed by the staff... Thank you for a comfortable stay.

1 Thank Sheri S
Aloha Sheri S:

A wedding in Paradise, how AWESOME!

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will give us another opportunity to serve you again in the future!

We hope you enjoyed the small gesture of Aloha with our Christmas greetings!

Me Ke Aloha Pumehana,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed here during our trip to Honolulu. The hotel is situated at the North end of Waikiki and is a short walk to the nearest beach. We found it to be a great location to get about, a short walk from Ala Moana Centre (a main stop for lots of buses around Oahu) and from the centre of Waikiki, as well as the hotel being on lots of bus routes itself. We were on the third floor with a good sized room, nice bathroom, comfy bed and decent tv. We only used the pool on the last morning as we were at the beach or sightseeing otherwise but this was also clean and the area well maintained. There were lots of places nearby for handy breakfasts and other meals: would recommend 24/7 Wailana Coffee House. The hotel was very clean and staff very friendly, there was also free wifi in the lobby which came in handy. On Thursday there was a complimentary reception in the lobby with a nice cocktail, snacks and live music: this was a nice touch we enjoyed. Would definitely recommend this hotel as a good base for the area and would stay again if lucky enough to come back to Honolulu

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VanessaB_107
Aloha vanessaB_107:

Mahalo for sharing your experience regarding your recent stay at the Aqua Palms Waikiki.

You definitely described our location to a "T"!

I'm delighted to hear that you will definitely stay with us again on a return visit!

Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

When we arrived, we had a pull-out bed and a king. We asked to be switched to two queens and the front desk staff quickly arranged this. Close to restaurants and the Ala Moana Center, the Aqua Palms is in a great location! We stayed here over Christmas and received a Christmas ornament and card from the staff. We enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Aloha Lesliebug:

Mahalo for choosing to stay at the Aqua Palms over the Christmas holidays!

I'm delighted to see that the staff was able to accommodate your request for changing rooms.

All of the staff and management of the Aqua Palms Waikiki hope you have a happy, healthy, prosperous 2013 and will give us another opportunity to serve you!

Happy New Year!

Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located in the heart of Waikiki. I usually stay at the Hale Koa but it was full and was given the option to stay at Aqua Palms. The staff was amazing and very helpful. The room was spacious with a nice bed and a kitchenette but the furniture looked a little bit outdated and in need of replacement. It can be a little bit noisy at night since the hotel is located on the very busy Ala Moana Blvd. The parking garage is so tight that if you have an SUV or a minivan it would be hard for you to park or even drive inside the garage of multiple floors. Overall if you are looking for a good budget hotel in Waikiki this is the one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Aloha JayD2006:

Mahalo for sharing your recent stay at the Aqua Palms.

I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. In 2013 we plan on many upgrades to the property including room renovations and updates.

Unfortunately, yes parking is tight but if driving carefully you can fit a smaller SUV.

All of the staff and management hope you have a great 2013 and will give us another opportunity to serve you again in the future!

Happy New Year!