Ok so here's the skinny on staying in Waikiki for those of you who have and more importantly those newbies going for t he first time. Waikiki is located in Honolulu mainly along Waikiki beach in a heavily populated area that saw a lot of construction in the 70s and therefore there are a plethora of hotels of this vintage. From the water looking at the city it seems it basically stretches from left (where the ala wai cannal) comes in to the right ( towards Diamondhead crater almost)
So choosing a hotel is this: do you want or need to be close to anything in particular or simply can walk everywhere because you really can in Waikiki. The beaches are all in close distance regardless of where you stay so don't pay extra for a beachfront if you don't have to....though some are nice on the water too.
One really good option is the Aqua Palms hotel and Spa. This is a regularly maintained hotel of boutique stature that was super convenient to use and cost effective. Close to their biggest mall with a short 15 minute walk ( no seriously it's a mall but a lovely one if you want anything at all ) otherwise go to their ABC stores which are pretty famous there and have almost everything......they are on every block. No really....they are.
Walking to the beaches is just a step across the street behind the Hilton which is a great spot to pick up any and all tour buses and city tours.
Walking to high end shopping is just through a park and there you are.
Pretty well located it is. Our room was nice and comfortable enough while not large by any standards our room with balcony facing Diamondhead was great. Some might find the street noise bothersome if the door to the balcony is open so in that case ask for a room facing the back......we did not mind that as it was quiet when the door was closed. Good to have a fridge and microwave in the room too as there WILL be times you want to just eat something at the room. Or put a bottle of something in there from the ABC stores where booze and food is relatively cheap...good tip.
Our concierge which we nick named " Connie Serge" ...Janelle actually was an Expedia expert so she was super helpful in booking lots of things for us to do. In fact it was easy to blow another $1300 on activities as there are lots to do.
Overall the hotel was great. The pool was being retiled when we were there but who cares when there are beaches. It is done now and looks pleasant.
This is not a super fancy hotel but still very nice.
The only downside was the ihop restaurant attached to it had abysmal service. Take twenty steps past it to the coffee shop on the corner and be treated to retro 70s glam in an old school type diner with good food and service. It was popular and reasonable.
We would stay at the Aqua Palms again. Have fun!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aqua Palms Waikiki is a boutique hotel located 1 block to the beach and across from the Hilton Hawaiian Village. This hotel is a short stroll to Ala Moana Shopping Center and in close proximity to the Hawaii Convention Center. During your stay, you'll enjoy convenient guest room comforts like Aqua BLISS pillow top beds, 42-inch LCD TV's, a mini-refrigerator, a microwave, iHome alarm clock radio, credit card laundry facilities, and a coffeemaker. With our hospitality fee, Aqua Palms Waikiki allows guests to enjoy many hotel services and activities without having to incur miscellaneous charges. These amenities include WiFi Internet throughout the hotel and in guest rooms, DVDNow (Unlimited movies & PS3 games), beach towel and chair rentals, Waikiki/Ala Moana Shuttle service, Daily Newspaper, In Room Coffee, In Room Safe, Local & Toll-Free Calls, Water in Lobby, and a Weekly Manager's Reception. Also includes access to the fitness center, pool and sundeck with a barbeque grill, and coffee and water service in the lobby. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your Aqua Palms Waikiki reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aqua Palms Waikiki Hotel Honolulu
- Aqua Palms Hotel
- Aqua Palms Honolulu
- Aqua Palms Spa Honolulu
- Aqua Palms Waikiki Hawaii/Honolulu