“Clean, modern, comfortable = happy” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aqua Palms Waikiki

Aqua Palms Waikiki
Ranked #54 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Calgary, Canada
“Clean, modern, comfortable = happy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

I visited 3 islands and stayed in 4 different hotels on my last trip to Hawaii. Was very happy to be at the Aqua Palms & Spa. Though the rooms are snug, everything was clean, new and perfect. The internet worked the way it was supposed to which was unusual on this trip. After many older and tired hotels, the Aqua was fresh and a pleasure to stay at - and great value for money. I will stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Needmorebeachtime
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, March 25, 2011
Aloha Needmorebeachtime:

Mahalo for taking the time to share your stay at the Aqua Palms & Spa.

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay!

We all look forward to your return visit!

"With Warmest Aloha"

Patty Maher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Waikoloa, Hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

This hotel was ok but not impressive. Rooms were smaller than they looked & continental breakfast was NOT included as asvertised on their website (Apparently they stopped serving continental breakfast 2 years ago). Aside from that, the complimentary coffee machine in the lobby was "out of order" and the complimentary high-speed internet in the room didn't work either.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Aloha Anela85:

Mahalo for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Aqua Palms & Spa.

I was disappointed to hear about the challenges you experienced during your stay and assure you that yours was not a typical experience.

Please accept my sincerest apologies.

For a return visit please contact me directly and I will personally handle the reservations for you.

Despite the above, all of the staff and management of the Aqua Palms & Spa hope you enjoyed your stay in Waikiki and will afford us another opportunity to regain your valued patronage.

Worthington, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

I was visiting relatives nearby for the first time and due to unforseen circumstances, I needed a hotel to stay in for the last few days of my stay on Oahu. My husband found Aqua Palms online and booked me a room for 2 nights. When I arrived, I was tired and stressed out from the horrible traffic and not knowing where I was going. The parking garage is right under the hotel, very convenient (with a bit of a steep hill to get in, but plenty of parking).

I was greeted at the front desk by a very polite staff member who quickly checked me in and gave me my room keys. I had room 1102 on the 11th floor, my husband wanted me to have a nice view since I would be there alone, it did not disappoint! The room was really big (it was a king bed with a sleeper sofa). Plenty of room even if I had brought my husband and two sons with me! The view was amazing, the room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. I was able to walk down to the ABC store, a 2 minute walk away to get a few snacks for the night and settled in.

The next morning, I was greeted by a BEAUTIFUL view of Diamond Head. This was my first trip to Hawai'i so to me, it's all breathtaking. I could see the beach from my room, it was about a 10 minute walk (once I figured out where I was going). It was just lovely sitting out on my lanai having breakfast each morning. The only thing that was bad about it was someone was smoking on their lanai and it was coming up to my room, I had been told it was a non-smoking hotel, so I had to go inside and shut the door :(

There is a decent sized fridge in the room (with a tiny freezer) that easily held a two liter bottle of coke, several bottles of water, some cans of coke and a few cold snacks. There was a microwave too and the ABC store just down the street (and across the street, they are everywhere) had plenty of microwaveable meals for sale, fresh fruits and veggies, etc. The prices were what you would expect for a convenience store in a tourist area.

The hotel lobby is small but very clean and quiet, very polite and helpful staff members. The room was big, clean, bright and cheery. I travel a lot and this was one of the best places I've stayed for the price. The hotel rooms I've gotten in NYC (also a big city) were 1/2 the size and not as nice! I was actually amazed at how clean and mold/mildew/bug free this room was considering how humid and tropical the location. When we stay in SC hotels, even the newer ones have a gross smell of mold and usually mildew in the bathroom with tons of critters, I saw none of this here.

I could see the pool directly below my 11th floor balcony, but did not use it as I could see there were people smoking. It was small but looked clean and had a lovely view of the Honolulu.

Everything I wanted was in walking distance and I truly enjoyed the walk. There were tons of fast food places within a block for a quick meal, and just a 5 minute walk from the hotel, there is a WONDERFUL italian restaurant on Ena Rd. called Due Divino. They had eat it and take out, some of the best pizza I've ever had. Lots of gift shops near by and within walking distance to all of the expensive shops on Kalakaua Avenue. It was a quick drive to the Honolulu Zoo which had plenty of parking and easy access to Waikiki beach with great snorkeling.

I also noticed a special $79 for a massage in the hotel spa and booked one right before check out. It was heavenly - certainly helped with the long flight home.

When it was time to check out, they were quick, efficient, friendly and the H1 highway exit was right down the street, it was a quick 15 or less minute drive to the airport (at 7pm, before that WATCH OUT, traffic is AWFUL on Oahu during rush hour).

The only negatives:

I never had my room cleaned the entire time I was there, I don't know why that was (no-one ever came to make the bed, change the towels, etc) , that was a little odd since everything else was so clean and I saw the cleaner several times on my floor doing other rooms. This was the only disappointing thing because coming back to a clean room after swimming, sightseeing, etc. is one of the highlights of staying in a hotel for me!

Also, there was a burn in the carpet smack in the middle of the room, it was about the size of a tea cup.

Finally, on Tuesday evening (March 8th) I called down to the front desk to see if there was a way I could print my boarding passes for my flight the next day. A man answered the phone and he was very rude, very curt and basically yelled "You must pay for it! It is not free!" All I wanted to know was if there was a printer down there! A bit later I went down to the lobby and a lovely woman named Venus said she would be happy to print them for me, looked them up on her computer and printed them within 2 minutes, no charge and asked if I needed anything else :)

We are planning a FAMILY trip back to Hawai'i next spring and we will definitely be considering staying at Aqua Palms if we can get the price and room we need, it is a great hotel!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lilla-svenska
Aloha Lilla-Svenska:

Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience at the Aqua Palms & Spa. I was pleased to hear for the most part you enjoyed your stay with us.

I apologize for the rude behavior of the gentleman front desk clerk that wasn't willing to assist you with your boarding passes. It was nice to see that Berna was able to assist and print them out for you.

I am addressing your housekeeping concerns with our Executive Housekeeper. Housekeeping is usually provided on a daily basis and I'm not sure why your room wasn't serviced. The housekeepers do work from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily and the check out rooms are done first. The housekeepers will not service a room if there is a "do not disturb" sign on the door.

Carpets are scheduled to be replaced this year.

All of the staff and management of the Aqua Palms & Spa hope to see you on a return visit and that you were able to take home fond memories of your stay in Waikiki.

Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2011

We booked this hotel on the strength of all the positive reviews and high rating it has on tripadvisor, and have to admit to feeling a bit disappointed when we got there. We had paid extra for a city-view, but in fact it was just a view of the building next door, and I can't understand what we paid extra for, as this was no view at all really.

The staff were professional and friendly, but the general state of our room was a bit rundown and old.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
aquapalmsandspa, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Aloha Beverton:

Mahalo for sharing your experience at the Aqua Palms & Spa during your recent visit.

Your feedback is very important to us. Over the last few years we have been doing several upgrades to our rooms including the flat screen TV's and the new Serta Presidential PillowTop Mattress. This year we will be working on the case goods in the rooms to have a fresh new look.

I hope you enjoyed your stay in Waikiki and will afford us another opportunity to serve you.

Me Ke Aloha Pumehana,

BC - Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

My review is a bit late, as my friend and I stayed at the Aqua Palms from January 10-21st.

We booked this hotel after reading great reviews, and getting a smoking deal for the flight and hotel.

We had booked on Priceline, and while I thought we had booked a room with two beds, when we got there we were told we had a room with one king bed, and that there was nothing else available that night, and if we wanted a room with two beds, we would have to bring our luggage down to reception the next morning by 10am and then check with reception after 3pm. As it was after midnight, and we were exhausted, that was all we could do. When we went to our original room, neither of our keys was working. My friend then went downstairs to get they keys changed, and while I was waiting, a hotel employee came upstairs to tell us a room with two beds had been located. I was a little annoyed that just a few minutes before there was nothing available. We went back down and got keys for our new room. This was basically the only negative experience we had. With the negative conversation, the person at the front desk forgot to tell us that hotel guests get 20% off at the ihop with a room key.

Our view was the back if the hotel, but that wasn't a problem since we planned to be out most of the time-and with a flight AND eleven nights in a hotel for $700, I was not expecting the best view in the hotel.

The microwave and fridge in the room was great, and it allowed us to have some snacks or breakfast in our room. With the ABC store right around the corner and another across the street, our fridge was always stocked.

The location of the hotel is great. You can to Ala Moana and to the busier areas of Waikiki, but you are not in the middle of the noise. I loved the fact that I could sleep at night.

There is a trolley stop right outside the hotel, and one for the other direction right across the street outside the Hilton.

While the pool is small, it does get some great sunshine. I wish I reminded those smoking out there of the no smoking rule, it did get annoying.

The gym is small, but it is adequate. There is a water cooler there, and sometimes we would fill our water bottles there on the way out.

We booked an excursion from the expedia desk downstaira, but when I asked about a trolley to the zoo, I was told it would be about $30. When I pulled out the trolley map to clarify, and said that I thought it would be just $2, the person confirmed that was correct. That made me feel that the desk was just there to sell excursions, rather than act as a concierge (which is probably true, but I never noticed anyone at the guest services desk).

We were there for 2 of the Wednesday manager's receptions, and those were fun. Be sure to sign up for the complimentary messages early-they get booked up.

There is a cheap breakfast available on weekdays at a pub down the street, and to the right of the hotel....I forget the name of the place, but I believe it is right downstairs of the Buffalo Hot Wings.

I know my review is all over the map, but I wanted to be sure I captured every detail.

There is free wifi in the lobby, which is very convenient.

I would totally stay at the Aqua Palms hotel for the location, and the value.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank Girl_604
Aloha MeenaC:

Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience of your stay at the Aqua Palms and Spa.

Friendliness of the staff and the convenient location are two of many reasons why the Aqua Palms and Spa is so popular!

Please be sure to contact us for your next visit!

Aqua Palms & Spa
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2011

Negatives: ( let's get these out of the way first)
~2nd floor, street view was adequate until the soft mattress started giving my partner back pain. He didn't complain though. I wanted to ask for a board to place beneath the mattress.

~The housekeepers are lovely though the policy is to change the sheets every 4th night - unless asked for a fresh bottom one, then they kindly oblige.

~3rd night in I saw a small roach, a few tiny ants, and a tiny silverfish. The next day pest control visited. I understood that, being in a city in the tropics, buggy things happen, and they were addressed immediately. However my main gripe was
~~
the sudden LOSS OF HOT WATER and the way it was handled at first. In a hotel, hot water should NEVER be a concern. ~~

~~When I complained a second time about the hot water, we were upgraded to the 8th floor the next day. This room was much more comfortable, with better mattress, nicer microwave, and a better view. The view wasn't a concern for me, I was there to spend time with my partner. But the increased quality felt more appropriate for what I paid. The workout room was small and bare basics, the pool was small but adequate.

- mold on wall in 2nd floor bathroom, was addressed immediately when I brought attention to that issue

-low water pressure in the upgraded room, but adequate.

- tubs and bathroom floor need refinishing. The finish on both are notably chipped. The chipped finish of the floor flakes off on bare feet, so put a bathmat down before walking on it

~~~HUGE thumbs down for all the smokers at the pool, when I specified that I wanted to stay at a 100% smokeFREE hotel.As former smokers, we did not enjoy inhaling that scungy smell when swimming. ~~~

- Parking was ridiculously expensive at $20/ day, and the garage was a little sketchy, but ok. I kind of expected that in a big city.

POSITIVES:

~Be sure to ask for a higher floor for better quality amenities.

~Be sure to inform the front desk about the smokers at the pool. I didn't and it compromised my ability to enjoy swimming there. This is advertised as a SMOKEFREE hotel. Also, employees shouldn't be smoking next to the front door. Employees should check the pool area frequently to be sure people aren't smoking.

~The mattress in the upgraded room was very comfortable.

~The housekeepers are wonderful, smiley, lovely people who seem happy to address requests for extra linens and will work around your schedule for cleaning. Truly high quality ( housekeeping) staff that I would expect in a 4 or 5 star hotel.

~Free apples and iced lemon water in the lobby was a nice touch

~ Great location for walking to Ala Moana Shopping, beach, and touristy stuff. easy to get out and drive to the "real" parts of the island

~ Front desk staff, once they figured out how to address our concerns, were great. Divina in particular was lovely, professional and extremely helpful.

~ Places to eat and get snacks are just a few steps away. It's a great location out of the deep touristy parts of waikiki.

~Massage and skincare available in the spa

~ Lobby kept spotless and clean public restrooms

I might recommend this hotel to others. I would stay again but not below the 8th floor.

Despite all these issues, this was the best vacation I ever had, and the minor setbacks were very minor compared to the amazing time I had with my partner in Hawaii.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Samantha L
aquaislandcolony, General Manager at Aqua Palms Waikiki, responded to this review, February 28, 2011
Aloha Samantha Wilcox:

Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience at the Aqua Palms! I really appreciate that you shared both your negative and positive aspects of your experience.

Our property is a smoke free property and I will be sure to have the pool area checked more frequently to ensure that there isn't anyone smoking and disrupting other guests experiences.

I apologize for the lack of hot water and the way it was initially handled. The pilot on the hot water heater went down and it had to be reset.

I'm pleased that we were able to a room that was more suitable for you and that housekeeping and Divina were helpful and accommodating.

All of us here at the Aqua Palms are extremely pleased to hear that this was the best vacation you have ever had!

Please feel free to contact me directly for any future plans to Waikiki!

Aqua Palms and Spa
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel many times and have never been disappointed. I find the staff to be the most professional and friendly that I have encountered anywhere. Special thanks to Berna at the front desk and Hans of the bell staff for their excellent service, always with a smile. Also to the excellent housekeepers, Teresa on the seventh floor and Norie on the sixth floor. They always welcome guests returning to their rooms with a smile and a friendly hello and welcome back. Great hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo