“Stay Away!!!!”

Shore Bird Restaurant & Beach Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Shore Bird Restaurant & Beach Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #122 of 2,389 Restaurants in Honolulu
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: For the past 29 years, Island residents and tourists alike have flocked to the Shore Bird, making it one of Waikiki's most venerated institutions. It's the thrill of the grill that has captured guests imaginations and appetites for more than two decades. Shore Bird is not just a place to eat. Shore Bird is an experience where all guests have a lot of fun! Servers interact with our guests and not just serve them. The over all concept is "Aloha". Guests are responsible for for grilling their own dinner entrees but they don't have to be master barbecurers. An experienced grill hand and a large clock help make the process easy. Here's how it works: Steaks and seafood come to the table fresh on a platter with instructions. Guest are able to season and then prepare their entree exactly to their liking . All entrees include the salad bar, which showcases more than 25 items, such as fresh greens, garnishes, fruits, tako poke, rice, bread and pasta.
“Stay Away!!!!”
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Went for dinner, had over an hor wait for a table. Impossible to get a table near the beach as the people seated there refused to leave their seats and just sat there. I was never told that I had to cook my own meal. At first we were suprised to see a steak dinner in Honolulu for $20...should have known better!!! Finally seated and waiter comes by, asks us if we ate there before, we told him no. Then he said we had to cook our own dinner! I was shocked as usually when someone goes out to a restaurant, a chef cooks your meal. Otherwise why go out???? Realized that we got taken and being hungry and tired as we just came in from Maui, we ordered the cheapest item...a hamburger. So we go to the nasty "almost a meal in itself" salad bar to get our salads. There was pasta, all dried up, tomato sauce..the kind with the thick skin on top and assorted salad toppings. We made a salad, sat back down and our waiter brought out our raw hamburger meat and puts it on the table while we are eating our salads. Chance for cross contamination..ya think???? Looking at the burgers I saw mostly white..meaning a very high fat content. Did I tell you it was probably 95 degrees in the restaurant and full of smoke!! I went to cook the burgers on top of the giant grill and some person whom I will call "the Chef" came over to me to tell me how to cook a hamburger. I looked at the sweaty "Chef" and tried to assure him I could cook a burger. "The Chef" then proceeds to "help" another customer cook his steaks. "The Chef" took the tongs from the customer and then stabbed the poor guys steaks, which now let out what little juice there was making them like shoes. I got done cooking and we started to eat our fat burgers and then the fun started...it was now Karioke night at the bar and every drunk wanted to sing. It was very, very loud as well as very very hot ad smokey. My clothes were full of smoke like I was cooking in my backyard BBQ. At that point we had enough got up left and paid the bill and said never again!!!!
The view was very nice..especially if you are lucky to get a table up close to the beach!

• Visited September 2010
2 Thank molokinirum

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
So Cal
“Great value for breakfast”
Reviewed May 17, 2011

This place is the best bang for your buck. For $12.95 you get an all you can eat breakfast buffet. The offerings are plenty and include lots of fresh fruit (papaya, watermelon, pineapple, mandarin oranges, lychee) several types of meats (portuguese sausage, bacon, ham, turkey and regular sausage). There were also scrambled eggs, sweet bread french toast, coconut bread, banana bread and a few other things I can't recall. Let me just say, this place has a great view (its right on he beach) and atmosphere, particulaly for breakfast. They also have free Wi-Fi. You can't beat this place for breakfast in Waikiki.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank Garden_Isle_Girl
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Out of the ordinary!”
Reviewed May 6, 2011

Cook your own meat with new or old friends under the supervision of a chef. Open air restaurant, beachside, with a great view at sunset.

1 Thank Pairedup
winnipeg
“Excellent staff, great breakfast buffet and fabulous Mai Tais!!!!!”
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We came here for Happy Hour Mai Tais everyday of our vacation. Darn good Mai Tai for only $3.50! The first day we came here, we got the pleasure to see a Humpback Whale put on an excellent show for us not very far out in the ocean. The staff were all super friendly. Really good breakfast buffet too. We ate here twice for breakfast. Make sure you have the 2 for 1 coupon from the best of Oahu book. Or in our case, the bottom half of our bar bill tab was a 2 for 1coupon. We have eaten here for dinner also years ago and it was great back then too. When we go back to Waikiki, we will for sure be going back to Shore Bird.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank check-in-chick
Chicago Suburbs
“Cook your own food with a beautiful view”
Reviewed March 29, 2011

OK, If you are the type that does not like to cook your own food, then do NOT come here. Otherwise, this place offers a great value with a awesome view. Just be prepared to grill your own meat. If you come before 5:30, you get a $15 steak to cook, plus a salad bar with sides. This was the only restaurant that we ate at twice during our week stay. It sure beat the expensive hotel food, and the kids enjoyed it. The wait staff were all very attentive!

• Visited March 2011