“First breakfast in Hawaii”
Review of Hula Grill Waikiki

Hula Grill Waikiki
Reserve with OpenTable
Hula Grill Waikiki is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 2,539 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Waikiki
Cross street: Seaside
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Today is my first day in Hawaii, visiting from the states, and my hunger was raging from traveling all day. My best friend and I decided on this place because I heard the prices were reasonable and the food was tasty! They had me at reasonable...

The restaurant is overlooking the beach, which is beautiful and it really is a nice space. I ordered a burrito from the local menu and my best friend ordered a waffle with coconut syrup. She says that the marscapone cream was the best part. Neither of us were disappointed and practically licked the plate clean.

I will say that the portions feel smaller than what I'm used to, but mainland portions are extreme. I still felt perfectly satisfied and highly recommend this place!

1  Thank Felicity00
Write a ReviewReviews (3,404)

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Ate outside, limited non seafood menu but good. Drinks were good but wouldn't allow you to finish old drink when new one came. Great views and easy to get in and out of.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

We tried to get into Duke's after a 15-hour trip to Waikiki, but Duke's had a loooong wait. The hostess recommended we try upstairs at their sister restaurant, Hula Grill. We're so glad we did. Exhausted, we took the first table they had, which was in the bar. They had a couple of guys playing Hawaiian guitar music and a hula dancer. They were entertaining without being obtrusive or obnoxious like a lot of lounge-area entertainers.

Service during our dinner visit was excellent. The staff seemed to work very well together, helping each other out, and having fun with each other without neglecting the guests. Our food came out very quickly, but neither the presentation nor the quality of the food suffered for it. The Island Smoothie was a tasty, juicy way to rehydrate after such a long day of dry airplane air. Beer selection was minimal. Food focused on Hawaiian/asian flavors, but don't worry if that's not your thing because the menu has plenty of variety and there's something for everyone. We didn't eat at Duke's, but our impression is that Hula's menu is more upscale than Duke's.

As we were leaving we peeked at the breakfast menu. Our dinner experience was so positive that we decided to come back a few days later. Breakfast was much less busy and low-key. The kitchen and wait service were slower, too. However, the coffee was good and the food was excellent, again. Eggs were cooked exactly as ordered. Pancakes were fluffy!

One thing to note is that not all of the Hula's tables have a great view. Our bar table was nowhere near a window and our breakfast table overlooked the hotel's pool with just a hint of an ocean view. This didn't impact our visit much, but if you're going there for the view, you should make reservations and be specific.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

We hadn't made a reservation, so we put our names down and grabbed a beeper and waited in the bar. We were told the wait was around 15-20 minutes, and turned into around half an hour, which was fine. 3 of our group of 5 took their drinks from the bar to the table, and not once after we had been seated were we asked if we would like drinks or refills. I'm not sure if our waiter was new or busy, but he was not very attentive and the food, while reasonably yummy, was very small in portion size - and this is not some fine dining restaurant where they can get away with that. If I were to go back (which I don't think I would), I would just stay in the bar area and eat off that menu instead.

1  Thank stelle-89
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Super friendly staff. Enjoyed pre-dinner drinks at the bar before dinner. Service was fantastic & the drinks were yummy