“Great to eat at the bar area”
Review of Hula Grill Waikiki

Hula Grill Waikiki
Reserve with OpenTable
Hula Grill Waikiki is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 2,441 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Waikiki
Cross street: Seaside
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I came here for dinner because it was really booked out most places (not even a space for a solo diner!), but Hula Grill had a bar area where I could order the same thing. There was an excellent guitarist with a great voice. The only downside was that I didn't bring my ID and couldn't get a drink *DOH!* I hadn't been asked for my ID in Australia since I was 18!! Oh well! The food and service was great!

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Hula's offers a special price-fixed menu for dinner between 4:45 and 6 PM. We made a 5 PM reservation to take advantage of this. To our surprise, they don't provide you with the special menu when they seat you, unless you know to request it. Clearly they want you to order off the full-priced menu. We ultimately ordered off the full-price menu because we were hungry and the waitress indicated that the portions on the price-fixed menu were considerably smaller. I had the macadamia-nut crusted mahi-mahi. The fish was not at all "crusted." It was more like a wet topping on the fish. It was very bland and the two small pieces were not worth the $28 price point. My dining companion had the chicken, which he reported as being decent. We had requested a table along the railing, which was nice. We got to watch the sunset at about 5:30PM. Just be aware that you will be right above the Outrigger's pool and Duke's bar with live music, so it is not too quiet. Overall, the view was the best part of the meal. I would not return.

Lindsay A, Manager at Hula Grill Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear DC_Gale,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience at Hula Grill Waikiki. It is true that we have a great view of the sunset and Waikiki Beach but we also strive to provide excellent food. It’s obvious to me that we failed to provide the quality of food we are accustomed to.

We do hope that you will visit us again on your next trip to Hawaii and give us the opportunity to replace your disappointing experience with a positive one. Please contact me directly at marketing@hulagrill.com. We’re sincerely interested in changing your feelings about Hula Grill Waikiki.

Aloha,
Lindsay Alperstein
Marketing Coordinator

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Reserved a table in a quieter part of the restaurant. Our server was very chatty and helpful and we were well guided in our choices. Much appreciated the complimentary dessert as a bithday celebration complete with candle! Nice touch! Excellent food at very acceptable price.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Arrive as close to Happy Hour as possible, it fills up fast. Price points for drinks and meals are excellent, the best bargain in Waikiki is the Fish and Chips, the atmosphere is always quiet and relaxing.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We came to Hula Grill for happy hour in the bar. We were extremely impressed with the food and service. My husband at a Kalbi beef and watermelon salad ( which is not on for happy hour ) but he adored it and it is still inexpensive under $10. We also shared the pork dumplings which were fantastic. My husband even ate the garnish as it was very good. I had the burger which was excellent. Not at all like the one I had at Turtle Bay earlier in the week. It was also less than half the cost and it was great!

Highly recommend this place and our server was really good.

Been to Hula Grill Waikiki? Share your experiences!