“Exceeded expectations !”

and up
Sunrise Photo Tour on Oahu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Small group photo and private tours. Limit to 7 people for group tours. Private tours up to 11 people. Professional guide takes you to landmark sites and hidden locations. Bring your iPhone and/or camera. Learn your camera. We take you to local places - not the usual tourist spots. Book Direct and Save!
Reviewed August 4, 2016

My wife planned a trip to Oahu and through the Hotel we were staying at she contracted Blue Hawaii Photo Tours for a 2 day photo tour (an all day and a sunset tour). I am a photography enthusiast and was super excited about Hawaii and the photo tours, wasn't sure what to expect really. Here are the highlights of the tour:

1) Marie and Evan were super friendly and made the tour much more enjoyable
2) The tour is carefully planned for the best locations and lighting possible, so no matter what you are not getting a bad shot. Trust me.
3) The transportation was first class
4) Marie and Evan were super accommodating to my preferences and shooting style
5) I not only took some fantastic pictures, but I also learned many new tricks. Every step of the way they were leading the way for best spots, composition and camera settings

In the end I am super grateful my wife found them and I would do this again a million times, super worth it. Don't miss the opportunity.

Karl Rottmann

Date of experience: July 2016
Marie T, Owner at Blue Hawaii Photo Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2016

Aloha Karl,
It was a great pleasure to meet you and your family. We had great fun taking photos and seeing some of the more scenic spots around the island. You are a talented photographer thank you for sending us some of your photos. We'll be posting on Blue Hawaii Photo Tours Facebook and on our website in the Gallery. See you next time. Sunrise can be very dramatic. Marie

All reviews
"great shots"
in 20 reviews
"small group"
in 30 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 28 reviews
in 12 reviews
"beautiful scenery"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed July 31, 2016

I took the Sunset Photo Tour but feel the name could be misleading, depending on your expectations. It wasn't what I expected.

Technically, I guess any photo tour that ends at sunset could be called a sunset photo tour. However, my expectation from the images on their website was that we would end up at a beach where we could get sunset shots with more than just the sun over water.

Instead, we were at a big, urban park near the Honolulu harbor, with the sun setting behind the mountains in the distance and container ships crossing in between. It’s not a location I would have chosen. And I might not have signed up for the tour had I known that. That said, I made the best of it with a more “urban” feel photo at that spot. The shot is posted with this review.

The best part of the tour was a knowledgeable photographer, Evan, driving our van and having only one other customer besides myself there. Evan, was enthusiastic and knowledgeable about locations, equipment and techniques. He made helpful suggestions for improving our images. He also had umbrellas handy when rain started while we were shooting a waterfall.

I got a couple of images that I really like, so I cannot complain about that. But if you’re expecting sunset shots, find out in advance whether you will be at the kind of location you’re hoping for. The reality is that shooting locations are influenced not only by the weather but also by the sun position as the seasons change.

After I posted the first version of this review, I got a phone call from Marie, the owner of Blue Hawaii Photo Tours. She was open to my ideas on how to improve her customer communications to avoid a mismatch in expectations such as I experienced. She seemed to take to heart my suggestions. I came away from that conversation believing she wants to give her customers the best experience tempered by realistic expectations.

While it was not a five-star experience for me, I now believe Blue Hawaii Photo Tours deserves at least four stars.

2  Thank Abe W
Marie T, Owner at Blue Hawaii Photo Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2016

Aloha Abe,
You're right depending on the time of year and especially the weather our locations for all the tours change. We are committed to you getting great photos and if it's raining in one area we go to another. Our itinerary is never the same from day to day and we are always adding new locations. Thank you for your review. I'm so happy you got a great waterfall shot and enjoyed Evan as a tour guide.
Mahalo,
marie

Reviewed July 29, 2016 via mobile

Would recommend the sunrise tour. Marie was very informative and helpful with lots of interesting local knowledge. Would definitely sign up for another tour if ever in Hawaii again.

Aloha Nicola,
Thank you for sending your photos from the sunrise tour. They look great. I look forward to seeing you again. Mahalo,
Marie

Reviewed July 27, 2016 via mobile

This was the third time I have completed an instructed photo tour/workshop. I have to say it was the best one, it was amazing! Marie is friendly, knowledgeable & ensures all guests get the guidance they need to take great photos. The locations we visited were out of the way and just perfect. I really enjoyed that it was a small group. It's a great way to see the island, learn about the history and culture while taking amazing pictures. Highly recommend putting this on your to do list in Honolulu.

Aloha Ann,
Thank you for your kind words. It was great to meet you. I'm happy you liked the locations we always are looking for new out of the way spots for fantastic photos. Mahalo
Marie

See more reviews
Reviewed July 27, 2016

I took the sunset tour with Marie recently and cannot say enough good things about it! Marie is very down to earth and went out of her way to put us all at ease regardless of our experience with photography or the camera we were using. Not only was she able to impart her knowledge to assist us with taking better pictures she did it in a way that seemed so natural. She is obviously passionate about her art and helped us all to see things differently and be more creative. Not only that but the tour itself took me to parts of the island I haven't been to before and to places I would never have gone to without her guidance. I would highly recommend this tour, not only because Marie was so down to earth and helpful but because price wise it was far more competitive than any others I looked at. I plan to return to Oahu at some point and will be doing my best to take another tour with Blue Hawaii.

Aloha
See you again next time. Yes...we often get people who have been to the island many times and even some locals who take the tour tell us they had never seen some of the locations. When you come next time we'll have some new spots scoped out. Cheers
marie