“Food ok but comes with a side order of bad vibes”

Ruffage Natural Foods
Ranked #137 of 2,524 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Neighborhood: Waikiki
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We ate here twice on 2 consecutive days. Each time we were greeted by a lovely, smiling face taking our order. But lurking behind the counter, preparing our meals, was a vicious, unhappy lady and I can tell you love was not a secret ingredient. She was incredibly unfriendly and mean towards our kids, who were playing outside with the pebbles in the courtyard. They weren't hurting anybody or making a mess, but this barracuda was just waiting for an opportunity to unleash her venom. The food may be ok but when it comes with a side serve of mean and angry it does nothing for your health or digestion ;-)

3  Thank StarNvigator

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Ignore the bad photos outside which bear no indication to the quality of the food and prevented me going in first time I visited; and walk to the back of the terrace, because the restaurant at the front is a noodle shop. Ruffage is at the back. The food is simply superb. They do everything takeaway too, and also do takeaway for your flight, serving the insides to your sandwich separate from the bread, so you add them together on the flight, so nothing is soggy. Genius. Five stars!!!!!

1  Thank Nick S
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

I had the veggie burger with avocado. It was fine. This place is not trying to be anything it is not and is a simple and inexpensive vegetarian / natural food alternative which I was seeking after walking down waikiki beach

Reviewed November 20, 2012

It is so hard to eat like you do at home when you are on vacation. While in Honolulu we were searching for some healthy options and stumbled upon Ruffage. I am so glad that we did! The food was excellent! So many wonderful options. Kid friendly! Very friendly and helpful staff as well!

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have been to patronize and support plus of course eat at Ruffage many times now. We are Vegan and they offer our type of food. We especially like the Tofu Scramble for Breakfast (toast is basic brown bread with no grains) and the Peanut Butter Smoothy to get our protein start to the day. We also had the Anti-Oxidant Smoothy and the Acai Banana Bowl which is good as Vegan unlike many other juice type places who use yogurt in the Acai part. This time we bought a Vegan Burrito and that was pretty good but only just warm not hot and the Vegan Avocado Burger was cold, thrown together and very bland stuck together between what I feel is cheap brown bread - didn't like it at all. The owner is very curt not friendly. When you walk in she says "yes what do you want" you may ask a question like I did such as "how are you today" and she says "fine". My teenage daughter asked her if she was a vegan and her answer was "no". My daughter is strong and she was like "ok you are unhappy unfriendly". I asked her if she sells an oil I was looking for and her answer was "no". She may have decent food for us Vegan / Vegetarians out there but her personality is up for question marks and there is a disconnect. She has the Vegan market covered in Waikiki otherwise if more competition came along Ruffage would lose customers. I gave her my money openly and kindly supporting her with the Vegan food options we were thrilled to find yet she gives nothing back. We have been there so much and yet each time she sees us she never says "hey you're back great to see you" or "nice to see you again I have this amazing new item on my menu you will love" it is always "what do you want" and one word answers to questions which is mostly a NO. If you eat here I recommend the Smoothies, Acai Bowl, Tofu Scramble and if you can get everything to take away. Expect little communication from the owner and her staff. Careful what you buy extra as it is expensive and some of the items you can get at the supermarket up the street for better price. So Ruffage your unfriendly customer experience has now over taken your ok food and we won't be back to give you our money or have your cold personality cross our paths in what is otherwise a warm Hawaii. Goodbye.

1  Thank Suzanne m