“Loved this place!”
Review of Cafe Sistina

Cafe Sistina
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Sistina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #612 of 2,453 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Really great Italian place. We were given a recommendation by someone people that live in the area and you can definitely tell that it isn't a typical tourist destination. Most of the people seemed like locals which was fantastic. I love running into this gems. The menu had a lot of options and very reasonably priced. All the classic Italian entrees that most people love. I got the pesto which was so tasty (came with bacon which was interesting, but nothing tastes bad with bacon) and my husband got a pasta dish with a gorgonzola sauce which I loved! The place itself was pretty cool also. Nothing super fancy about it, but the inside walls are all painted like the inside of the Sistine chapel - really cool. The staff was super friendly and very attentive. We would definitely recommend visitors to take a trip away from downtown Waikiki and eat at cafe sistina!

Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Very hearty and tasty Italian food. The owner is also an artist and has painted murals on all of the walls. Impressive! The service is excellent and provided by young enthusiastic men and women. Easy parking in the building for a couple of dollars if street parking is not available. Generally OK to go without reservations except on weekends.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We used to live on Oahu and this was one of our favorite places to eat, so every time we visit we make sure to make a reservation. Service is good and the paintings inside are beautiful! We had no trouble getting a reservation and were greeted and seated promptly.

In the past the food was excellent, although on this visit we were all a little disappointed in our meals. They were "good", not "great". I tried something new and ordered the campi Alla Vodka for $17.25 It was shrimp sauteed with manilla clams in a caper’s vodka sauce with gorgonzola and spinach fettuccine. The sauce as not as flavorful as I expected and seemed to be a little watery to me. My husband ordered his standard Carbonara for $13.25 and was also a little disappointed. Our friend ordered a basic spaghetti with meat sauce and it also seemed okay, not great. We wondered if they had a new chef in the kitchen? Not that the food wasn't good, it just wasn't excellent as it had been in the past.

I would still highly recommend this restaurant as the service has consistently been good and you couldn't ask for a more picturesque setting. You feel as if you were in Italy. We will definitely go there again. I just hope that next time the food is as good as it was the many times we ate there before.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

Unfortunately this was a disappointing evening. I am European, and having lived and worked in Italy, this food was poor and I had to return both courses. What I did receive was accompanied with an oil slick. The waitress was very pleasant, however this did not compensate for the lack of service by the remainder of the staff, rushing out clientele not to mention the two phone calls when I tried to book and was hung up on both times. I have never written a bad review before, however feel that apart from the beautiful paintings this place is best avoided - a visit to the Mediterraneo further down the road, if L'italiano is your taste, is more appropriate. In sum, a complete waste of time and money.

1  Thank Sonia R
Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I found this amazing place on google. We sat at the bar to eat and had great, quick service...they even had us taste each wine they loved. Every dish we had was spectacular--how they mix unique ingredients in which they compliment eachother is spectacular. The duck sausage with butternut raviolli and mushrooms is a MUST. I could go on, but overall, wonderful people...great energy and AMAZING food! Do not miss trying this place!