“Everything was perfect!”
Review of Formaggio Wine Bar

Formaggio Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Formaggio Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #651 of 2,441 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis
Description: Voted Hawaii's Best Wine Bar five years in a row, this intimate hideaway is sure to please your palate with its casual gourmet fare and over 50 wines by the glass. Just minutes from Waikiki, join us for fantastic food and wine pairings. Daily pau hana appetizer specials and vegetarian entrees good enough to convert any meat lover!
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Atmosphere at Formaggio's is amazing! I love the high ceilings & exquisite architectural decor. The live acoustic music and positive energy from patrons in the background contributed to a wonderful evening. Although there were tables around us-we experienced an intimate experience.(which is rare in oahu). My husband and I are airline employees with over 30years of international & domestic travel with restaurant patronage. We also live in northern California wine country. We were pleasantly surprised to be introduced to a new delicious wine recommended by our server. Also want to add that the chef certainly lives up to his incredible reputation. The food was excellent and our service was five star as well. Looking forward to returning.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Aloha all,
Formaggio's is another place my significant other and I frequent when we're out and about in the Kaimuki neighborhood and trying desperately to avoid our fast food addiction. Been there more than a dozen times and have taken friends who've given it a thumbs up as well. Normally, we go on Monday evening because we're in the area for another weekly event, so I can't speak authoritatively about weekend crowds, but I do understand it fills up. There's live music occasionally, but we like it quiet, so we've steered clear of that. It's a little tricky to find and the darkened windows make it seem a little foreboding before going in, but just be brave and push the door open. It's also a bit dark inside, so be prepared to let your eyes adjust, but all in all it's pretty cozy with muted rustic interiors reminiscent of a wine cellar. The menu is not super extensive, although they do have some interesting specials from time to time. There's a fair set of eclectic salads, appetizers, pizzas, sandwiches, and somewhere around 6-8 regular entree selections. I've had the short ribs which are nice, the Nepalese Chicken Curry which is spicy, but not overbearing, their version of Loco Moco which was excellent, and a number of their panini style sandwiches (The Three Kings is my favorite, my girl likes their Turkey Pesto). In short, their menu is a little off the beaten path, but not so much so that you can't find something you like. Portion size is adequate--we usually don't take stuff home, but we do leave filled. Their wine selections are pretty good and as a red wine fan they have a fairly decent number to choose from across the spectrum of price range and wine regions. The desserts are respectable as well, but nothing seriously cosmic. (That doesn't mean we don't have dessert!). Service is usually very good; the wait staff most often knows a little something about the wines, and the prices are reasonable--normally about $45-60 with tip for two including appetizer, a Caesar for me, usually a filling panini paired with a small salad or entree each, a glass of wine or beer for me, and a dessert for her--all depending on how hungry we are and how much time we have. Again, it's not Alan Wong's, but it's really pretty darned good. Definitely recommend when you're in the mood for something different --with a glass of wine to go with it. Aloha!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

The food is sensational! Try the crab cakes or the Kobe burger. My husband could not stop taking about wanting another kobe burger our entire vacation. We were celebrating our good friends' birthday so we had a table of about 10 people, service was great and prompt. Found a new favorite wine to top it off. A little pricey, but well worth it!

Reviewed August 22, 2011

If you've been to a wine bar in Wine Country, then this place will be just ok for you. The service was great, our waiter seemed pretty knowledgeable about wines..although we mentioned we wanted to sample sweet wines, he recommended three...two were sweet and one tasted like a Pinot Grigio. The other two recommendations were great. The food although good, was a bit pricey. Ambience nice. We went on a Monday night, it wasn't crowded when we arrived at 6PM, but when we left, the restaurant was 1/3 full. We liked the atmosphere better at this location versus the Kailua location which often times is sooo crowded.

1  Thank TravelWithCameraHI
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Be aware of Formaggio, unless you would like to see a circus act. In the center ring of a three ring circus, a bar tender, a manager in accompany, who have no knowledge of wine nor their menu-- making up a slew of excuses for their lack, better yet, no knowledge of wine and their menu. Sadly, they reminded me of a bunch of circus carnies-- the ignorance which poured from their mouths played out like a bunch of clowns exiting a mini austin.
For lack of a better word...... B.S.
My wife and I recently visited this so called wine bar and we were greeted by a less than cordial bartendress, who i might add, when asked by my wife"What's the meaning of Wine Time on your menu?", her response was "ummm I'm not sure"
At this time, haven been to many wine bars and vineyards around the world, this rose a red flag, "humm,......she doesn't even know the menu?" I quickly shrugged it off.....
I then ordered a wonderful 2005 Blackstone reserve pinot noir and to my amazement the sleeve was already removed, in fact there was no wine presentation at all--she just popped the cork and poured a taster
"A WINE BAR, NO WINE PRESENTATION, AM I IN THE RIGHT PLACE, IS THIS OUTBACK. HAVE THEY SEEN SIDEWAYS."
Following this embarrassment, fighting the urge to get up and leave, i noticed the year on the bottle was 2009 and on the menu 2005, i"m sorry WTF. I quickly brought it to the bartenders attention and her response was "thats all we have" i said "so you really don"t know your menu--REALLY A WINE BAR. She quickly passed her dirty laundry off with a holly than thou attitude to her manager, who, i feel had a back ground established at the local crab shack, corn dogs and fine wine--began to run off excuses to this oversight, as if i was standing on line at a major airlines ticket agent asking why my flight was cancelled for the 2nd time.
In short, my worst experience, embarrassing for hawaii, and i wouldn't recommended this place to my local wino....
Another embarrassing experience for people visiting to hawaii, we cant even get a wine bar right......
cordially dismal foreboding