“Good food, terrible service!”
Review of Cafe Maharani

Cafe Maharani
Ranked #666 of 2,392 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Tampa, Florida
“Good food, terrible service!”
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

The food tastes great which is why you'd visit any restaurant, but the service has been terrible. I've been twice while in Oahu and both times there has been a very long wait and the waiters act like they are doing you a favor taking your order and serving the you. There are other options that I will be trying instead.

They do not serve any alcohol so if you'd like a drink with dinner you must bring your own.

Overall even though the food was good I wouldn't recommend this establishment.

1 Thank MM27APR20154

Honolulu, Hawaii
“Our guest's from India were impressed.”
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

We've been going to the Cafe for a number of years and have never experienced bad food or service. Maharani is not cheap to begin with so the expectation from diners is high when it comes to portions and taste. We took some friends from India with us to dinner there and asked for their honest opinion on the taste and quality of the food. I asked them to order for our group and choose vegetarian as well as meat options. We had about 8 items off the menu and our friends were very impressed.

Ban Patong, Phuket, Thailand
“Excellent food”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We arrived around 1800. There was no waiting. The waitstaff was very cordial. We ordered too much food. The portions were enormous! All in all, a good experience and excellent cuisine.

Honolulu, Hawaii
“Despite popularity, the owners are real bad corrupt people!!!!”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I worked for this establishment for 6 months and have to say that Despite the food here being popular and tasty everything else about this place is corrupted!!!

The Bangladesh owners steal from employees tips and they leave food around on the floor and the kitchen is a mess. If you don't mind your food being on the floor or dropped before you get it then this is the right place for you. They definitely don't have fresh caught fish and they microwave everything and put their dirty greasy fingers in your curry before it goes out. They are basically evil people who have escaped karma one to many times and eventually will get what they deserve for all the lies, thievery, and deception they have done.

Despite all this The place continues to get a high occupancy rate even though there's another Indian restaurant nearby called Taj MahaI which has old cooks from Maharani who left because of current Maharani deception. I ate recently at Taj Mahal and the food is just as good just not as popular because it's harder to find at it's location which benefits the customers because of less wait time. If you still rather eat at Maharani it is your choice at the end but as for myself I just prefer not to eat food that been on the disgusting floor from people who steal from their servers and talk down and treat their kitchen staff like slaves!!!

Everything I say here is the truth and they have been in trouble with the health department and wage and hour division numerous times. If you have any respect for servers,kitchen staff, or yourself you will not come to this place. Even their own family don't talk to them because they stole from them and they opened up their own Indian restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
5 Thank TheTruth85X
Tulum
“If this is the best Indian food in Honolulu, I don't want to eat at any others”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I've been living in Honolulu for about 4 months and never eaten at any Indian restaurants here, so today I wanted to test out the one that is said to be the best one here.

I did what i thought was a safe choice and ordered Chicken Tikka Masala, yellow rice and garlic naan. The first I noticed was that the Tikka Masala was did not have the red'ish color I'd expect. It looked more yellow like a curry. The sauce also looked really thin. It almost did not have a scent either. The taste was not any better. It tasted very blend, like they had run out of spices or something. Even the chicken tasted blend and felt more boiled than tandori-grilled.

The rice was not any better. It tasted like it had been sitting for a while and most of it was stuck together in big lumps.

The naan bread was the best of the three, but was far from great. It had way too little garlic, and could be cooked a little bit more.

All in all I am very disapointed. The price was the only thing that was "okay", although i would expect to get a portion of rice, or atleast the opportunity to buy ONE portion instead of two because I was dining alone.