“Best meal of our stay”

Waioli Tea Room
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stumbled upon this place by accident and absolutely loved it. It is very old and has an interesting history. The food was outstanding! Loved their chicken salad. Hubby had fish tacos. We sat outside in a covered area, watched a light rainfall and commented on how happy we were to have stopped to try this place, which we knew nothing about. The iced tea was so good as were the desserts. I got some muffins to go from the small bakery area. We are from Louisiana, so people who commented previously and called it "old and worn" are probably the same tourists who come to New Orleans and eat at Chilis. This restaurant is about to lose it long-time lease from the state of Hawaii at the end of 2013, so eat there while it is still open.

2  Thank coffee02

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I should probably admit that I have always liked the Manoa area, so any opportunity to visit there already puts me in a good mood. I've been to the Waioli Tea Room about three times before, and every time I go there, it feels like a "getaway" to a relaxing place, where the pace slows and the busy-ness of one's regular routine takes a back seat to a few welcomed moments of leisure and relaxation. We were there yesterday, when the restaurant first opened (10:30 am), and the breezes (we were seated near a side window) were so relaxing. I told my hubby that I would have loved to sit on a lounge chair and read a good book right at that spot. The restaurant has an old home feel, and we enjoyed looking at the old-style windows and imagining what this house must have looked like when people lived there back in the 1920s. To me, this atmosphere just adds to the charm. It feels like you're enjoying tea in someone's home. Everything we've ever ordered has been good. I had my favorite - the guava french toast. It's so good and so filling. The hubby was going to order the fresh fish of the day, but it was catfish, and that's not his favorite. Instead he had the reuben sandwich, and he really enjoyed that. They prepared it with red cabbage vice the more sour sauerkraut, and he said that made the sandwich very good. We somehow managed to save room (just barely) for dessert, and it was so worth it. The desserts are baked fresh at the restaurant. I had a blondie brownie, with vanilla ice cream. The hubby had mint chocolate chip mousse and chocolate cake. The desserts were delicious and not overly sweet. Portion sizes were also quite generous, and, best of all, each of these yummy desserts was not over $7. We always enjoy our visit to the Waioli Tea Room. Is it the fanciest of places to get a spot of tea? No. But, in my opinion, it makes up for that through ambience and historic charm. I recommend giving it a try. As we left the restaurant yesterday, almost every table was booked, so it's probably a good idea to make a reservation. A fun way to be reminded of the joy of slowing down and focusing on the moment!

1  Thank aloha056
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

We had PRE-CHRISTMAS party there
nice place. Great people.
Okay food
Would recommend for fun, not fine dining

Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

It's a tea room, and has in addition, the grass hut where Robert Louis Stevenson hung out on Oahu. For me it is a garden atmosphere that serves a huge delicious curry chicken salad and flavorful ice tea. It is interesting, rustic and historic clapboard house with flowers, birds and I rage aloha prints make it a good place for a lazy lunch and conversation. Too full for derrert but the array of cakes and pudding were enticing. I recommend.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

The natural tropical garden setting is enough reason alone to visit this Manoa Valley Tea House Restaurant. We stopped in at noon on a weekday expecting a crowd. It was busy but they they welcomed us to a rustic outside lanai table. The Aloha spirit was Spirit was abundant...the staff courteous and pleasant. We ordered tea some wonderfully prepared fresh salads. I had hot tea and my wife had a glass of wine. The service was fast and efficient and the food delicious. Clearly people who know the value of an unhurried meal among friends and families also enjoying some quality time at a quality restaurant got the treat of an authentic "Hawaiian" experience. We had time to chat, eat, and enjoy unhurried moments among that which makes a trip to Hawai'i more memorable. The restaurant is owned by the Salvation Army and is run efficiently by a conscientious and caring staff. If you love fast-food and enjoy a short lunch on the run...maybe this is not your cup of tea....but for anyone who has a moment to stop and smell the flowers and that enjoys a quaint historic treasure...then this is here waiting just for you and your family.