“Cruisin' for a boozin'”

Irifune Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Diamond Head - Kapahulu - St. Louis
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Used to enjoy this place for its quirky charm, but not so much now. BYOB policy makes the experience less dining and more like a bar because management won't control the patrons. Next table appeared deserted except for the empties, only for the large party of "diners" to return after beer runs. Their young child wandered unsupervised to other diners in the restaurant and the father(?) attempted to throw a dollar bill into the fish net overhanging the dining tables, only to land it on another diner's head. Can't blame the restaurant for boorish customers, but there are a lot of loud bangs due to the door and the beer bottles constantly being dumped. Don't let the name fool you - this is not so much Japanese dining.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Friends from the mainland were in town and they suggested Irifune Restaurant on Kapahulu Ave. in Waikiki for a last night dinner. As I have not been there in at least 15 years I thought it might be nice to go back as I remembered they were known for their Garlic Ahi dish. Well, as we walked in I remembered the old eclectic atmosphere that was acceptable in the late 70's early 80's. But here we are in the 21 century and nothing has changed, except for the plastic picnic chairs that they replaced the old wooden chairs with. I'm still debating which was more comfortable. We ordered the breaded tofu which was good, not great. My wife ordered the famed Garlic Ahi and I ordered the tofu salad. Asked what we would like to drink, my wife asked for hot water with a slice of lemon. Now here's where it turns bad.. the waitress said they have to charge .50¢ for the lemon as the cost of lemons is expensive.. I was thinking we're going to spend in excess of $60 for dinner and they can't spring a slice of lemon? The food was acceptable, not great for the price. The environment was quite loud as people gathered to meet friends for dinner. At the end of the meal we asked for coffee only to find out they don't serve coffee. Overall it was spending time with friends that made it tolerable, not the food. We probably would have enjoyed the dinner more had we spent that amount on gourmet hamburgers. Would we go back? What do you think?

Reviewed January 24, 2013

BYOB... Two large Kirens, cost about $5 at ABC. Generous ahi sashimi, great miso, tasty donburis, I went for the garlic ahi. Overcooked but yummy. I had not eaten at Irifune for about five years. IT was a regular that we discovered while my parents retired in Honolulu. Always brought our own wine.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

This place was recommended to us by friends. The food is great, the bring your own liquor is interesting, the location is ideal as it is a short walk from the Waikiki Hotels. We were in Honolulu Jan 3 - 13, 2013 and ate here 2 times. Parking is not great as the parking lot across the street gets full fast. You may have to wait a bit to get your seat but you can pass the time sipping your wine or beer while you wait.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

funky, old as the hills, tiny, ecclectic, but the BEST damn japanese style food EVER. I had sushi appy, and then the Tuna in Garlic, it is their signature dish. WOW. My BF had Teriyaki chicken and it was super delish and tons of chicken !!!!!
Luv the ladies who serve, they are so sweet. If you like funky, this is one for you.