“Recommended by locals, enjoyed by all!”

Helena's Hawaiian Food
Ranked #24 of 2,591 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed July 11, 2018 via mobile

My husband was working on Oahu for several weeks and he asked the locals for a good place to get traditional, local food. Helena’s was first on their list. Crowded still, an hour from closing. My daughter watched a documentary that featured Helena’s so we knew to order lots of different things to try and just share. Enjoyed the onions and poi, pork and cabbage, and Lomi salmon. Haupia is on them!

Reviewed July 11, 2018 via mobile

Went here to sample traditional Hawaiian cuisine. When we pulled up, we weren't so sure we wanted to go in based on the appearance of the exterior but we were glad we did. Sampled eight different menu items and liked most. We're not a fan of Poi but the Kalua pig, ribs, laulau, fried ahi, and macaroni salad were hits with all of us. Dip the onion in the salt and eat with the pig. Drizzle the chili water over top of you like, not too spicy, don't worry. KEYPOINTS: CASH ONLY. Parking limited. Expect to wait (we got there at three and there was a line). Service fast though and we were in in ten minutes.
The staff is friendly, interior issimple but clean,and most importantly, really good food.

1  Thank Dave J
Reviewed July 6, 2018 via mobile

Located in the nearest Honolulu suburbs, this restaurant is frequented by locals (I would say locals only). Always full, you'll maybe have to wait half an hour to get in and eat, but you'll easily forget that waiting. Try to get here before 7.30/8 p.m.
Best ribs ever, that's what I can say. Excellent ahi poke and kalua pig. You can also choose everything in three sizes: small, medium and large. Fast and gentle service and very simple place, with no cloth on the table.
Come here if you want to taste the real hawaiian cuisine in a genuine atmosphere

1  Thank Eleonora N
Reviewed July 3, 2018

When you have a restaurant that claims they serve a specific type of ethnicity's food and you see people of that ethnicity frequent the place, you know its the good stuff. Being Hawaiian, I know we can be particular on how our Hawaiian food is made. Usually only Mom's or Aunty's Squid Luau is "da bes", but Helena's will give Mom some stiff competition. This restaurant is CASH ONLY!

Helena's is always busy, often times you may find a long wait line outside of the restaurant. They recently expanded their dining room area so you may not have to wait as long as before for a table. You can also take out food, either order in the restaurant or call it in. The worst problem with this place is trying to find parking. They have a small parking lot that they share with a few other businesses and you may be fortunate enough to pull up and find one right away or you may have to wait 30 minutes or more. If you are doing take out, its best to go with a buddy so that one can jump out and pickup the food while the other sits and idles the car or drives around the block if there is no parking.

The food here is excellent, authentic and very filling. My favorite dishes are the Pipukaula (short ribs) and the Squid Luau, but they do serve all the major Hawaiian food dishes here and they are all good. When friends from the continental US tell me they are going to visit Hawaii, I always recommend this place if they want to try authentic Hawaiian food.

The service is always good here, to me it feels like they are serving family. So if you can deal with the parking issue here, its worth it. Since preparing Hawaiian food may be too hard work to make often, this is my to go place for my Hawaiian food fix.

1  Thank Ha_Y_an_Traveler
Reviewed June 28, 2018

Parking is extremely limited but worth the wait for a spot.I looked at the menu before arriving so I knew what I wanted. I ordered to go and my food was ready in less than 10 minutes. They accept orders over the phone and I would be sure to do that if you planned a game out order. I ordered a la carte so my family could sample several items. The Kalua pig was good but a tad dry for me but not overly salty like some. The luau squid was devine! The potato Mac was great and the Kailua good. This was my first time trying the link salmon. Too many tomatoes and not enough salmon for me. The restaurant isn't fancy but the food and service is great!