“Everything was great, and then I had to use the restroom...”

Helena's Hawaiian Food
Ranked #5 of 2,405 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
New York City, New York
“Everything was great, and then I had to use the restroom...”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

By the time we reached Helena's we had wined & dined in over 10 different restaurants. None of them can serve you the delicious, authentic food you will get at Helena's! As a family of four we literally "pigged" out. The layout is the same as a local Chinese restaurant so come to eat and don't expect interior design eye candy. We had driven about 45 minutes away from our hotel so I was overjoyed that my family I had bullied into off the beaten path, were VERY satisfied.

Then it was time to visit the restroom before we headed back to our hotel. Aauugh, almost threw up all that delicious food! I can't even go into detail. I'll just say the toilet was "stained" all inside and under the toilet seat. If Tripadvisor approves my uploaded picture you can see for yourself.

We have no complaints other than the bathroom conditions.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Sacred_Lotus1

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco
“Down home Hawaiian experience”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

You feel like you're in a relative's house for dinner. While we were waiting, the owner came out and chatted with us, telling us about the restaurant, offering sightseeing tips, etc. Once we were seated, the staff was very friendly. The food is no nonsense, very good home cooked Hawaiian dishes. The poi was super fresh, so fresh that the rest of family, to my surprise, ate all the poi. Can't wait to return.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank HotRod_88
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Try Everything!”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

This place was everything previous reviewers has said it would be, BUT BETTER!!! It was my last stop before hitting the airport. Everything was delicious and the owner was wonderful! I had the fish dish and it was literally the best fish I've ever tasted. Not a fan of poi, but it too was tasty! Do not leave Oahu without going to Helena's or you'll regret it!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank JfrumdaA
Fort Knox, Kentucky
“Great Food”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Worth the stop. Pig and ribs were delicious!!!!
The place is packed for lunch. Don't wait for a table, just place an order to go.

Visited July 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
“THE RIBS”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Go for the RIBS. One of the many good things on their menu. You can't go wrong with the Ribs, Butter fish colors, lau lau and the lomi salmon with poke. Broke the mouth.

• Visited July 2014