“Great local food and wonderfully nice people”

Helena's Hawaiian Food
Ranked #8 of 2,494 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

Tried Helena's because I love Hawaiian Food and locals recommend it. Take the # 2 bus from waikiki to N. School street. Ask for a hug from the friendliest ladies who will give you wonderful laulau, chicken long rice and short ribs. The fish is excellent. We ordered about everything on the menu to try and we're not disappointed in the taste of Hawaii. Take your time and visit at the little place on the corner. Well worth the bus fare and take some food home for later.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

I'm always on the hunt for a local hangout wherever I travel and was only too happy to give Helena's a try. The menu is quite small, but wonderfully authentic. I had a whole array of things. The pig & cabbage was awesome as was the long rice chicken, the ribs although a little tough were wonderfully aromatic and the raw salmon salad was hands down the best thing on the table. I spoke to the owner for a few mins and what a wonderful and welcoming woman she was. It is a total hole in the wall and its decor is absolutely nothing to write home about, but I will be back next time i'm in Hawaii

1  Thank Iain B
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I picked up a magazine at the Honolulu airport that mentioned this establishment. It was worth the visit to taste local cuisine. Here's my take - The ribs are absolutely delicious in flavor, so much so, I could have easily had a second portion. Please note that I only mentioned flavor. Why? Because the ribs were tough in my humble opinion. If they had been a little more tender, I would consider them sheer perfection!

One of my Texas friends (originally from Hawaii) suggested that I try Poi. I asked her to describe it, but she could not find the right descriptive words. I'd like to describe it since I found it quite interesting! It is served in a bowl, has a pale purplish color, has the consistency of Elmer glue and was flavorless. The waitress said that it takes on the flavor of the foods that it's eaten with, so I dipped my ribs in it. Upon doing that, it was tolerable.

In conclusion, I would definitely recommend Helena's. It was very clean, the waitress was extremely friendly as well as helpful, and the ribs were very flavorful. Please note that parking is limited, so you may need to circle the block several times to find a space.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

I like that the portions and prices are small so you can try lots of things. The poke was great, the short ribs were deep flavored, brown and so tasty. Mac salad was just ok. The dessert - coconut pudding (I forget what they call it) was great - if you like coconut.

All in all, I really liked this place and it is very close (walking distance from the Bishop's museum - if you go there)

2  Thank Tyler K
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Pipikaula is the best! Squid luau is one of their top dishes too. Limited hours but worth every minute of wait time...or just order take out.

1  Thank ljspick